#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Well, when I got my Bolens HT23 about a year ago, it was not running and among the things it needed, one was a starter. So me not having the money to spend for a good starter I ended up buying a new (cheaper) starter off eBay. Once I got the garden tractor running the pulley on the mower deck needed replaced and I didn't have any other attachments to use with it, so It was then parked for about 6 months. I then rigged up a push blade and a 3-pt on it, I also got another pulley for the deck so I can start mowing with it.

My point to this is, the new starter doesn't hardly have any use on it. It has only started the GT 50 times at most.

I went out today to uses it with a box blade and the starter made a "clunk" when I turned the key???. I tapped the key again and the starter just ground???. I then turned the engine over (by hand) a half turn and tried it again. But the starter just ground again!??? I then looked at the starter to find it broken in two!!!!! :mad2:

I know I bought the cheaper starter and I probably would of saved money on the long run buying a better starter, but I didn't have the money at the time. I would of thought this starter would at least of lasted a couple years :wallbanging:.

I think I still have the old starter, I'm going to pull the guts out of this one that broke and put it in the (good) old case.

The down fall is, I now need to make time to get this done and Bolens didn't make it easy to get these starters in and out :( :mad2: :wallbanging:

Thanks for listening to my rant

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Starter 015.jpg

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 10:48 PM

That is a bummer.  There are good aftermarket starters and then there are cheap ones.  I hate to say it, but that was a common failure of a cheap one. 

I can get you a good starter if you are so inclined.  Kohler's price is ridiculous, but I can cross it to a better aftermarket brand that will last you for many years. 

Ben W. 

• Alc, tinbender7, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 11:43 PM

Do your remember who the vendor was? 

• BTS said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 01:32 AM

I bought a 76 Sears SS/18 that had a weak starter for 225.00. The Onan 18hp is strong and runs great, but I had to rely on the machine for snow removal. I bit the bullet and bought an NOS starter for 180.00...OUCH! In the long run it turned out to be worth it, though. I can't believe how expensive some of the parts are for these old machines, but you can see the quality built into them. On the other hand, some NOS parts do turn up for cheap, so it can be a give and take situation. It still beats spending 2-3 grand on a throwaway machine in my opinion.
  • Alc, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:31 AM

You get what you pay for ! and I don't mean that in a rude way.  I bought coils for my briggs engines a few years back and thought I was getting as killer deal, so far I have had to replace all three of them with oem ones and the last one in my big ten is getting weak.  sometimes you need to spend your money :D and I hate that !!!  Good luck switching the guts around to get your tractor going again.

Pete

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Looks like poor quality castings. It is a minefield out there for anyone trying to rebuild an older tractor. 

• BTS said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Sorry you had problems.

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for , not trying to be mean or anything but thats just the way things are today with so many Chinese wholesalers and people selling the crap on the web.

Hope your up and running soon

• superaben and BTS have said thanks

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:15 AM

Hate to tell you this but from the pic it looks more like the oil pan broke where the starter mounts and not the starter.

• BTS said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I purchased a flea-bay starter for our Kubota G4200. I did have to relieve the front of the starter housing for it to fit properly which didn't take much to do. It has worked just fine for 2 years now. Was there any interference when installing your starter?

• BTS said thank you

#10 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I too bought a cheapie starter for my Tecumseh    oh160......    60.00  bucks I think.??   lasted about a week.  The retainer clip shot off and the gear assembly went flying...   I hate when you buy a new item and have to rebuild it right out of the box...  I know nothing about your'e dilemma,, but wish you all the luck...

• BTS and karl have said thanks

#11 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,061 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Thank you...... CHINA!   and the importers and investors that make it all possible!

Edited by karl, March 18, 2015 - 10:06 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:26 PM

All my starters, generators, ect. are rebuilt by me or one of the local shops rather than be replaced.

• BTS said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hate to tell you this but from the pic it looks more like the oil pan broke where the starter mounts and not the starter.

OK, I believe I was wrong, the starter is still good, I jumped to conclusions and it looks like the starter mount is what broke. I guess I will be looking into another oil pan (yaaaa :wallbanging: )

Anyone have any idea on what would cause this??? the engine barley spins over and it starts right up. I have no idea why it would brake like that.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#14 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:29 PM

It is really hard to say what causes it as I have seen it often. Looking at the pic was all the bolts there as it looks like the side and bottom one is missing.  Seeing it broken at the top makes me think the bottom bolt was missing and all the stress of the starter twisting it up would be the cause. As for the oil pan I have a few sitting on the shelf.

• BTS and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:56 PM

The HT23 is in the garden now, I'll get it pulled around to the concrete and tare it apart. I know the bolts were in there (I had a bugger of a time getting them in) but I guess they could of vibrated out???
Thanks

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you