#16 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:52 PM

My 2002 Silverado has a 3.42 gear in it. Now, I also have 2800 stall convertor in it also which raises the torque multiplication greatly. Even before the convertor swap, it had no issues pulling 5500# trailer. It would downshift on long hills but would hold speed in OD without issue most trips. I would get typically 12-13 mpg running 65ish. Sometimes 70 with a lighter load without much change in mileage. My Suburban has a 3.73 and pulls great also but runs a higher cruising rpm as expected. IMO 3.31 will probably suffice for the average tow load.

Eric

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:16 PM

I did some further checking and this truck runs a regular axle, not locking or limited slip.  I'm thinking that's a deal breaker.

#18 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I did some further checking and this truck runs a regular axle, not locking or limited slip.  I'm thinking that's a deal breaker.

2wd or 4wd?

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,603 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:04 PM

My Suburban has 3.42 gearz and pulls like a train! 

I'm a Ford guy too!  The only reason I didn't use my F250 for this load is the 250 doesn't have trailer brakes. 

2 heavy.JPG

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:15 PM

2wd or 4wd?

4WD

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:35 PM

4WD

I see no reason for a one wheel wonder to be a deal breaker? Do you off-road often?

I use 4wd in two situations, when I'm stuck and when I'm on glare ice pulling onto a busy road and want to get the tub up to speed toot-sweet.

Oh, 4LOW if I feel there is excessive carbon or moisture buildup.   :thumbs:

If you want to be talked out of this, we'll get Uncle Willy in here to discuss Ford vs Chevy for ya, if you think it's necessary.  :rolling:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:56 PM

My Suburban has 3.42 gearz and pulls like a train! 

I'm a Ford guy too!  The only reason I didn't use my F250 for this load is the 250 doesn't have trailer brakes. 

attachicon.gif2 heavy.JPG

Hmmm Kris, Your a Ford guy using a GMC to pull a Dodge----you got the GMC part right at least! ------Just Kidding!

DAC

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:12 PM

When it comes to pulling, torque and your overall ratio get you rolling(startability) and gives you gradeability. Your truck needs to be geared to keep you in the engine's sweet spot at your typical operating speed. This includes your transmission gear ratio, rear axle ratio and your tire diameter. It's engine horsepower that helps you maintain speed going uphill. A higher horsepower engine gets you up the mountain faster than a lower horsepower engine.
  • David Brown said thank you

#24 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:17 PM

2wd or 4wd?

4WD

I don't think locking diff on a 4wd will make that much difference, you can still engage 4wd when roads get slippery.

On a 2wd yes, makes a difference I use my when traction is bad, I only have 2wd.

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:10 AM

I see no reason for a one wheel wonder to be a deal breaker? Do you off-road often?

I use 4wd in two situations, when I'm stuck and when I'm on glare ice pulling onto a busy road and want to get the tub up to speed toot-sweet.

Oh, 4LOW if I feel there is excessive carbon or moisture buildup.   :thumbs:

If you want to be talked out of this, we'll get Uncle Willy in here to discuss Ford vs Chevy for ya, if you think it's necessary.  :rolling:

Well, you're right, it probably shouldn't be.  I have made some mistakes in truck buying that I have had to live with for many years.  Pert of the learning process I guess.  Truck buying does not happen often for me.  As a result, I like to make sure that whatever I get will be the best thing for me and do whatever I might ask it to do for many years to come.  All of my trucks have had at least limited slip and, while I am not an off roader, I do end up in many situations where at least a limited slip is quite beneficial, my driveway being one of them.  Whatever I get this time around (whenever that may be) will be with me for a good long time whether is useful to me or not.  I would prefer to be happy with it.  I'm biting the bullet as it is by going away from an 8 foot bed.  I've never owned a truck with anything other than an 8 foot bed but, try to find one that doesn't have a little chipmunk motor.  I can't buy new (don't need yet another mortgage) so I can't go in and spec one out.  I would, however, like to get as new as I can with as few miles as possible.  I've heard all the Ford vs. Chevy stuff to last me a life time.  Everybody prefers something different and you tend to stick with what works for you.  I actually used to be a Chevy guy big time, until I owned a couple.  Bought one Ford and I was hooked.  They just work for me.  To be honest, the GM's kept leaving me or my wife sitting along the road.  They are great for some.  Gob bless them as they make some fine looking vehicles.  I almost wish I had luck with them.  My first truck was a Dodge.  Very good truck.  I was actually looking for one again when I found my last Ford.  Anyway, I'm getting off track, sorry.  If I buy now or when I do buy, I need to make it right.

• Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#26 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Factory tow ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt, my brand new '87 S-10 Blazer with 2.8 and 3.73 gears was rated to tow 6500 lbs, it had enough trouble pulling its self!

• Gtractor and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:09 AM

I don't think locking diff on a 4wd will make that much difference, you can still engage 4wd when roads get slippery.

On a 2wd yes, makes a difference I use my when traction is bad, I only have 2wd.

Then you end up on wet grass in 4x4 spinning the right front wheel and the left rear wheel and going no where and getting made fun of by your neighbor for buying a 4 wheel drive truck that will only spin 2 wheels at a time.

Watched my neighbor at my last house try to pull an old car up over his hill with his F150.  Sitting there in the middle of the hill spinning 2 wheels.  I told him to let a real truck do it, and creeped right up over the hill in 4x4 with my Ram 1500.

#28 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:17 AM

True 4 WD will get you stuck even better when you do get that way!!  I've always owned 3/4 ton trucks and they are built tough enough for almost anything I throw at it..  No problems with the motor size either.  And, as a resident of NY I am not held to the BS emission code troubles at NYS Inspection time!!

#29 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,603 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hmmm Kris, Your a Ford guy using a GMC to pull a Dodge----

DAC

This is more politically correct I guess... 

loaded.JPG

• MFDAC said thank you