Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Truck rear end ratios

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Looking at a truck with a 3.31 rear end. I assume this would be better for highway running more so than towing? Would a high torque number cancel that out?

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yes and yes.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 10:20 PM

The better gas mileage is a nice feature, but you will notice a big difference in its handling with a trailer.
There are also regs now in our fair commonwealth about ratios and towing. I have no idea what the cutoffs are. But they will not do combo licenses on many pickups now. I don't think normal ball hitch trailers are apt to be an issue, just something to check with the notary on.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:14 AM

Most 4x's or trucks for towing are 4.10 for close.  Chevs can get think,  3.74 or close for better mileage.  That ration seems WAY low. Trans an 8spd or other new odd one?  Six cylinder?  I have a 5.3 in mine now, and at times it strains to pull my 18ft equip trailer to the shows. Next truck I want and soon is gonna be a 6 litre V-8 and 8spd trans.  I don't pull alot, but think it is good insurance.

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:31 AM

The better gas mileage is a nice feature, but you will notice a big difference in its handling with a trailer.
There are also regs now in our fair commonwealth about ratios and towing. I have no idea what the cutoffs are. But they will not do combo licenses on many pickups now. I don't think normal ball hitch trailers are apt to be an issue, just something to check with the notary on.

Well I'm obviously not looking for a combo license (I don't think so anyway) and what is it to the state what ratio I have when I tow a trailer?  Honestly, of all things!  A few years ago they put new regs in for towing but there isn't anyplace you can go (anyplace that's easy to find) where you can see exactly what you need to do.  I know of someone who was given three different stories from three different people about how to attach the safety chains to the trailer.  Should they be welded?  Should they be bolted?  We don't know.  Gotta have three straps on chains on whatever you haul.  I've been hauling these little tractors for 25 years plus with two straps and I have yet to lose one.  I try to do everything leagally but, to be honest, I'm half afraid to go out on the road with my trailer anymore for fear I'll be tagged for something that I had no idea was wrong.

• Alc said thank you

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:00 AM

3:73 is common in the super dutys diesels In my opinion they should have made 4:10 the mandatory ones in the gassers 

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:29 AM

When you look at the choices (3.31, 3.55, 3.73 & 4.10) you really are just splitting hairs but it seems to make a big difference.  My present truck has 3.73's with a 4.6L engine.  Seems like it can't get out of it's own way sometimes and really bogs down with the trailer.  Maybe I'm asking too much from it.  It's only a 3000# max trailer and it does ok (should be like nothing but I also hear that the gate ramps make a big difference).  I'm not one to really step on it either and perhaps that's the problem.  I seldom hit 3000 RPM even when towing up a hill.  Been towing for a long time and I feel as if I need to learn how after all these years.  I think I'm over thinking this... AGAIN!

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Trucks are coming with taller gears than they use to, a lot of 3.42's, 3.23, etc... That's borderline for towing anything over 2500 lbs or so, but it depends on the engine and the transmission. Modern trucks with tow/haul feature and 6-8 speed transmissions are fine with 3.42 gears because the tow/haul mode uses whatever gear needed to keep the rpm in the power band of your particular combo. You can't just go by the old rule of thumb anymore with the high tech stuff out there today.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:41 AM

With your 3k trailer, the license won't mean anything. I would say you may want to throw 2-3 fishing weights in your right shoe before you put it on if you're going to be pulling the trailer :smilewink:

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:09 AM

With your 3k trailer, the license won't mean anything. I would say you may want to throw 2-3 fishing weights in your right shoe before you put it on if you're going to be pulling the trailer :smilewink:

But what size weights and how many of each!?  Does shoe size matter?  The pressure!  HAHA, I think I liked it better when I was blissfully ignorant in everything and just bought a truck.

Seriously, I'm looking at 3.31 gears but also 420 ft/lbs of torque so, with tow mode, I should be fine with anything I need to do.  I never tow 10,000 lbs.  If I did, I would bump up to a bigger truck.  I know of guys pulling 5th wheel trailers with a Toyota Tacoma so I have no idea why this concerns me as much as it does.  The 3.31 gears should do nicely on the highway and give me good MPG.  Now we just have to see if this is going to happen or not.

Edited by David Brown, March 18, 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Doing the truck builder on Ford's website, if you have the 3.5 Eco selected and add the Max Towing Package, it takes the rear from the 31's to the 3:55 ratio. I don't see where pulling a 5,000 lb max load behind is going to make a bit of difference when you have that much hp and torque backing it up. I would just go to manually shifting if the tranny couldn't find a gear it likes.

That truck specs out with higher towing capacities than my 6.0 V8 3/4 ton 4x4.

#12 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Recent experience for me since I just got a newer truck. Went from a 2000 Ram 2500 with a Cummins, auto trans, and 3.55 gear to a 2009 GMC 2500 with 6.0 gas, auto trans, and 3.73 gear. Seems to me that the torque and the gearing in the trans play a pretty big part of being happy with mileage and towing ability.

I believe what you're looking at will get the job done towing what you typically haul but that's a very tall final gearing and 420 pounds of torque may leave you wanting more at the end of your trip.

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:20 AM

These tow ratings are getting crazy...

My friends 2500HD duramax is rated at almost 18,000 pounds.  That's a lot of weight behind a truck.

That truck has 3.73. 

He also has all the emission delete kits on it.  No DPF, No DEF tank, 6" straight exhaust, no EGR, lift pump installed, tuner(with 3 power levels over stock) and bigger injectors.  That thing is the most powerful(torque monster) truck I have ever driven.  Unloaded in 2 wheel drive at 65MPH it will bust the back tires free when you shove the pedal to the floor.

My thing if I was going to tow A LOT I'd have a truck that found a good balance in power and mileage.  The same guy also has a 2011 6.0 gas 2500HD chevy with 3.73 gears.  It tows his 10,000lb 5th wheel camper with ease.  Honestly you don't know its back there on average driving.  The only time you really feel the weight is when you hit a LONG hill.  Even then it doesn't slow down, just down shifts and revs up pretty good to keep you at 65mph.

But that truck's lifetime fuel average is 12.2MPG.  It has the neat display that tells you how many gallons of gas you have used since new. 

I put a 6x10 trailer behind my Tacoma with a Polaris Ranger on it and towed it for 100 miles.  I filled up at the beginning of the trip and filled up when I was done to check the mileage.  14.5mpg.  Trailer and Ranger probably weigh 1500 pounds together.  I knew it was there.  I had to take it out of OD and leave it in 4th most of the time.  But I don't tow often and normally average 20mpg.  I never tow more than 2000 pounds.  Truck is rated at 6400 Pounds with the tow package(which mine has)

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 18, 2015 - 08:26 AM.

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Not sure what ratio is in my '99 Dodge 2500, but it's geared very low, tops out at about 60 comfortably.  It does have a tow package but I would never think of putting more than 7 or 8,000lb behind it.

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:41 PM

I have a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost engine and 3.55 locking diff. and trailer tow package. Truck is rated to tow 9800lbs trailer.

I never towed a trailer that heavy yet so I don't know what it's like. Towing 3000lbs trailer is no problem for it, lots of power to get up the hills.

• Cat385B said thank you