Garden Tractor Forums banner

My Yt16H runs again

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
My YT16H began running very poorly late last Summer and quit altogether. I thought the coil had gone bad, so I got another "known good" used coil for it. It would not run at all on the "new" coil. I have reinstalled the old coil and set the gap at .010. It runs great now . I can't understand what the problem was, but I have run it enough that I believe it is fixed. Only thing is , now it has another problem. It pulls fine going forward but reverse is very weak. The brakes don't work well either. Any suggestion on the lack of reverse ? The brakes probably just need adjusting, I hope. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just looked a both the Operators & Service manuals uploaded here to see what they had to say. I didn't find anything addressing this particular issue. It may just be an adjustment to that foot pedal. Are you releasing the speed control before you go to reverse? I don't know much about how these work, hope someone with more knowledge will chime in.

#3 ·
Yes , I tend to operate the machine without using the speed control lever a lot. I just heel & toe the pedal for forward and backwards. I plan to have a look underneath and see if I can figure out what's happening (or not happening) this weekend. Thanks.All suggestions will be welcome.

#4 ·
Then i could be just an 'off center' issue. Could be wear causing that or an adjustment. I know the '77-83 models had an adjustment for that issue. But those are Jake built.

#5 ·
I have the brake "caliper" off for a rebuild so I haven't moved the YT16H for a few days, but I have started it almost every day with no problems. Until today. This morning at about 7:30 It would not start. I pulled a plug wire to check spark...none. This evening at about 8:00 , I tried it and it started and ran fine. The tractor is sitting outside and we had some rain during the night. Of course the hood is closed but I wonder if the moisture could have caused the problem this morning? I'm almost afraid to start to mow my yard with it thinking it might die before I finish.

#6 ·
I think moisture could cause the no start issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.