13 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 07:09 PM

I decided to start a new topic as to not thread jack the breakfast thread. I was going to append my "need sausage help" thread, bu tit seems it was deleted.

After spending way too much time trying to stuff 3/8 casings, I switched to 40's to make brats. The small links turned out good, just too time intensive to make right now. I just ordered a 5# LEM steel gear packer to make this easier. I also upgraded from the hand crank grinder/ stuffer to an electric. The hand stuffer doesnt work very well on the small stuff either. A few gave me the tip of getting good equipment in the last thread and now I see why. I wasnt sure this would work out and didnt want to spend the money. As high as beef is getting now, I can buy a big package of boston butt, grind it and make brats or burgers alot cheaper. I did a batch of all venison brats that turned out great. This will open up more options for next deer season. Thinking about experimenting with fish this summer

• Alc, hamman, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,794 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:03 PM

I've always wanted to try this. If it's not a secret, what spices are you using?

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,863 Thanks
  • 1,184 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:36 AM

We make patties,,whether breakfast, brats or spiced.  Just got away from using casings. We have made fishcakes when we get a lot of pike.. plenty of recipes on line,,,generally mustard is the must have for fish cakes as I recall.  Our 1hp industrial meat grinder churns meat effortlessly...the grinder was originally for grinding meat(whole chickens and the odd roadkills I would cart home) for our raw fed dogs but we recently found a supplier of raw dog food ground and sold in 50 lb cubes.

thought i'd add this,,,Old Bay Spice is a catchall spice for any meat/fish.. I write Old Bag

Spice on the grocery list so its not forgotten

http://allrecipes.co...rringHubId=1239

Edited by Jazz, March 18, 2015 - 05:39 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,580 Thanks
  • 4,292 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Old Bay is a Local spice to this area originally, used mostly with seafood and potato chips /fries around here, but people do use it in everything. It's great on French Fries, dipped in pepper Parmesan dressing!

When we killed hogs in NC when I was a kid, we used a blend that had sage, red pepper course ground, black pepper, salt and other stuff I don't remember.

#5 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:59 AM

^^^^ that is close to the blend of spice is used on the sausage. Not real sure what else is in it. I got it from sausagemaker,com

Hot sausage mix. It should be enough for 50#. I have several other blends that I keep in the fridge in the shop. I am starting to get so many containers of this kind of stuff that I dont hardly have room for the required beverages. They come in handy for a quick BBQ dry rub when needed.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:42 AM

on a side note, I have had sinus headaches and congestion for the last 2 weeks. So far today.... nothing. I dont take anything for it, but its gone now. Weather change or something in the sausage? Who knows?. I might keep a few in the freezer for when it comes back 

#7 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 102 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 11:02 AM

on a side note, I have had sinus headaches and congestion for the last 2 weeks. So far today.... nothing. I dont take anything for it, but its gone now. Weather change or something in the sausage? Who knows?. I might keep a few in the freezer for when it comes back 

I have a 'dry eye' problem that pops up now and then.  The only thing that worked for it was prescription patanol eye drops with a copay of about $2 a drop.   Then I discovered really hot salsa makes me cry like a baby.  I administer mine with corn chips :)

I expect it would fix that congestion problem too.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,823 Thanks
  • 4,002 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 10:58 AM

I also put a little sage in my breakfast sausage--- poultry dressing if I'm out of sage--- and salt and white pepper. Try grinding some raw garlic with the meat mix when you start and stir it in good, then smoke for a nice dinner sausage.
  • Sawdust and tater195 have said thanks

#9 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 19, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I will do the garlic thing. I have been experimenting with jalapeno, onion, and cheese in the brats.

Still doing research on the fish stuff. I want to do crappie corn dogs. Not sure how that will turn out until I have a chance to try it 

#10 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Big sale on pork butts today, $.99/lb  :dancingbanana:

I bought 60 lbs. That will make alot of sausage. I will probably smoke 2 butts and grind the rest.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 09:00 PM

I got a chance to test out the new sausage packer today. I ground up 18# of pork and made brats/ sausage, Fresh ground pork cutlets for dinner. I run out of casings on the second batch of brats, so I still need to finish those tomorrow.   packed about 25 feet of  19mm deer sticks. I thawed out 2# of catfish to try cat/dogs, or corn cats... or what ever the hell the are. Brain storming on the spice blend.. lemon pepper or Cajun.. I cant decide.

Between the electric grinder and screw/ cylinder packer, this gets easier every time I try it.

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 09:43 AM

The deer sticks are done. Didnt turn out too bad.

Hot sausage spice (might try a little garlic/ Worcestershire sauce on the next batch.)

Packed in casings and sat over night if fridge. cut in 6" lenghts

2 hours on smoker at 180* to get internal temp to 150*

12 hrs in dehydrator. dry until middle of stick firms up

Breakfast sausage will be same process except linking and skip the dehydrator part.

20150401 093306 resized

Edited by tater195, April 01, 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 03:25 PM

I will do the garlic thing. I have been experimenting with jalapeno, onion, and cheese in the brats.
Still doing research on the fish stuff. I want to do crappie corn dogs. Not sure how that will turn out until I have a chance to try it

. Now hold on a minute! Crappie corn dogs? I so love Crappie fillets deep fried and eaten like popcorn I can not imagine grinding them up and loading them up in a corn meal batter like corn dogs. I want a light batter that does not overwhelm the fish. I like sausage about any way you could do it.
But would draw the line on my crappie and bluegill fillets.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 23, 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#14 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Would you opposed to thicker fillets? How about symmetrical fillets that all cook the same? What about prepackaged, easy to handle fillets that dont require that they be frozen in water? Now how about those thicker, prepackaged, symmetrical fillets that keep good in the freezer, dipped in your favorite batter on a stick so you dont need a plate? Crappie isnt just for Sunday night dinner anymore. Precooked and frozen, just pull a few out, defrost and pop them in your favorite heating device to warm them up for Saturday lunch.

deer stick v2.0.... I didnt dehydrate the next batch. They were good right out of the smoker, but I had to kick it up a notch....HOT PICKLED DEER STICKS!!!!!

I had a jar of left over fridge stuff that got all of the 1/4 full pickle jar and jalapeno peppers dumped in it and added 1/4 cup of the hot sausage spice mixed in. Loaded up the deer sticks cut into 6" chunks and left them in the fridge for a week. I cheated a little and tried one after 4 days, not bad but the center was still a little dry. By 7 they were good and juicy all the way through. Today is day 9 and half of them are gone.

Edited by tater195, April 23, 2015 - 05:36 PM.