• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jollygreen OFFLINE  

jollygreen

• Member No: 2269
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:33 PM

This is my first rebuild. I need to know if I should take the old paint done to the sheet metal ? And what is the best tools to use to do the job right. I bought a wire wheel brush for my 4 in. electric grinder. I prep my spindles my tie rod ends and front axles. I primed them and then painted them when spray paint from a can, Will spray paint from a can be as good as paint that you mix with harder and reducer? I want it to last but I don't want my tractor in 100 pieces in the garage. I would rather prep one piece at a time.

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:31 PM

My theory is if you are going to spend that much time prepping the tractor you might as well spend a little more money on paint that will be more durable, and look better for longer. Not that spray cans are bad, they look good too. But whats a couple hundred when you have 20, 50, 100 hours into it.

The best way to do it is to blast down to bare metal. But if you dont have a compressor use the wire wheel as youre doing then go over that with a random orbital and 80 grit paper. Spray your epoxy on heavy, 2-3 coats a couple hours apart. I like the southern polyurethanes epoxy, its cheap in relation to other products of the caliber, very durable, glossy, thick. Wait a day or two and block that down, spray another couple coats, block it. Lay down your base. Napa has some good paint they can mix for you. Its actually Sherwin Williams, but its under the Martin Senour brand. Not too bad about $45/qt. Youll be happy with the results. Make sure you get your gun dialed down. That will make a huge difference. And dont lay the coats down 10 minutes of each other LOL I had done that and its the Websters definition of Orange Peel

Now, Im no master painter by any means but just what ive seen.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 12:12 AM

or you can take them to a local powder coater :Dand not have to worry about it
good luck in whatever you decide

#4 jollygreen OFFLINE  

jollygreen

• Member No: 2269
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:20 AM

Can you tell me what you meet by blocking it down and i guess you mean a orbital sanding. What are you meaning epoxy I know there are all kinds ? Dialing you gun ? I really have never done this so all this terms are new to me, I just want to do it right, The only reason I was useing spray can paint was so I can have the small parts done I was then going to put as much as I can back togather and then paint the whole tractor last is this O K ?

Edited by jollygreen, March 14, 2011 - 05:21 AM.
miss spelled word

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:33 AM

This is easier lol

Perfect Paint Job
  • Gary400 said thank you

#6 trigger OFFLINE  

trigger

• Member No: 2379
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:05 AM

They say the most important part of a good paint job is the prep work.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:42 AM

They say the most important part of a good paint job is the prep work.

Very True

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:59 AM

I gotta be honest in that I don't block sand after primer or wet sand either unless orange peel happens to show up. I am going to try the epoxy that Mike linked to on the next restoration though. I am planning on taking the time next time at least on the hood and fenders of the next restore and I also plan on using a base coat clear coat paint.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 08:01 AM

If you don't have a compressor, you won't have a paint gun. I have an older gun, just no compressor big enough to use it. So I have to go with spray cans.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 08:18 AM

If you don't have a compressor, you won't have a paint gun. I have an older gun, just no compressor big enough to use it. So I have to go with spray cans.

True, no compressor = no spray gun. If you were closer I would give you my old craftsman, it was at least good enough for painting with an hvlp gun.

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM

If you dont have a compressor head to harbor freight. Get the "2 horsepower" notice the quotes LOL, 8 gallon unit. Its only $99 and will work fine. It certainly wont keep up painting a car but for a small tractor its fine. The $15 guns are pretty good. So cheap you can almost throw them away.

I wouldnt bother blocking down the frame or axle or what not. Like George said just the hood and seat pan. You will notice it.