• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have a new to me cub cadet 1864 that I got last fall,  very clean low hour machine.  It runs awesome sometimes.    sometimes not   last fall when mowing it would run great then all of a sudden spit ...sputter,  for about 15-20 seconds then recover and run awesome again.  I have checked the fuel filter { replaced}  checked the vacuum fuel pump{ replaced},  air filter { replaced}   ,  any other suggestions.  Has anyone ever cleaned one of these carbs?    its a bit different that the older 26 and 30 kohler carbs that I am used to.  thoughts or suggestions

Edited by KennyP, March 17, 2015 - 10:06 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I edited a few words for you.

• Hydro guy said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Carb is a little more complex, but still basically the same. Stumble like you describe BECAUSE OF CARBURATION is usually trash in the carb or a sticky float valve. Drop the bowl and see if anything is in the bottom of it. If it cleans itself up and starts again, it's probably not a plugged jet/passageway

You might have trash in the tank that is blocking the fuel pickup? A leaf, for example could get sucked onto the fuel outlet and cause a stumble, then move when the engine hickups...

Less likely, a plugged fuel tank vent, but I don't think it would restart that quick.... Try running without the fuel cap (if you can do so safely without splashing gas all over...)

Could also be electrical? Sometimes you will get a ground wire that wears through the insulation and grounds out due to vibration as it bounces around....

How often does this happen? Does it happen consistently at the same time (runs for 5 minutes then stumbles, then 5 minutes and stumbles again, etc...)

Intermittent problems are the hardest to figure out!
  • Hydro guy said thank you

#4 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Carb is a little more complex, but still basically the same. Stumble like you describe BECAUSE OF CARBURATION is usually trash in the carb or a sticky float valve. Drop the bowl and see if anything is in the bottom of it. If it cleans itself up and starts again, it's probably not a plugged jet/passageway

You might have trash in the tank that is blocking the fuel pickup? A leaf, for example could get sucked onto the fuel outlet and cause a stumble, then move when the engine hickups...

Less likely, a plugged fuel tank vent, but I don't think it would restart that quick.... Try running without the fuel cap (if you can do so safely without splashing gas all over...)

Could also be electrical? Sometimes you will get a ground wire that wears through the insulation and grounds out due to vibration as it bounces around....

How often does this happen? Does it happen consistently at the same time (runs for 5 minutes then stumbles, then 5 minutes and stumbles again, etc...)

Intermittent problems are the hardest to figure out!

it only did it late last summer when it was warm outside. last winter it ran like a champion on the blower, no issues what so ever, I will pull the carb and clean before mowing season. I really like the power that the tractor has and the power steering is a plus too. The only other issue is that I think the tractor is a little loud, think my muffler is toast.

Edited by Hydro guy, March 21, 2015 - 03:26 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 02:06 PM

cleaned the carb on the 1864 last night, found a little grim but nothing outta the ordinary. did find a partially collapsed fuel line where its goes under the air cleaner base that could be the culpret.