3 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:56 PM

I fired up my newly acquired 446 today for the first time.  Dang if this dont seem like the fastest tractor I have been on.  It has a replacement P218 that seems to run  great.  My question might sound obvious, but it puzzles me.  Even in low range it seems to be quicker than my other large garden tractors.  So, are these things like hydrostatic's in that you should run them at full throttle and manipulate speed with the lever, or can you idle down a hydraulic tractor to slow it down and not harm a hydraulic drive system. Any other tips and tricks for operating these fine machines would also be mucho appreciated before I hit a tree.

• superaben said thank you

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 10:51 PM

If your talking traveling here to there should not hurt drive throttled down. When grandson plowing snow I never have full throttle no ill effects to drive system. Mowing different story full throttle optimal motor torque for pto implements. In time you'll get use to the control to make it creep at full throttle if that's what you want.   

• TimW said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:09 PM

My case 155 is by far the fastest GT I own I'm still getting used to it. I only use it for plowing snow and never full throttle. I have yet to try the deck with it but would imagine you would want full throttle .
  • TimW said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 16, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Case (now Ingersoll) machines are fast, but they are not hydros.  You can throttle them down without any ill effects on the drive train.

Ben W.

• TimW said thank you