• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:08 AM

I don't know about y'all, but I'm going nuts wanting to get started on the garden.  It does not help it is unseasonably warm now.  Usually this time of year in ND we are still ice fishing, but the wife and I have been taking walks with t-shirts on.  I can't remember it being like this in a long time.  My garden patch is along our driveway, so every-time I drive/walk down the drive, I see it, sitting there not worked, yearning to be turned.  The ground is even thawed enough to be worked, atleast the top couple inches.  I have to be patient..... it is not unusual for us to get hammered end of March and into April with snow.  We have to order seeds and taters yet.  Our usual planting starts first of June, would be awesome to be able to plant in April!!  I better get the catalogs out and order but that will only make it worse, the wait, OH THE WAIT!!  We usually don't start the indoors sets until first/second week of May.  Does not help I'm about to pick up a new garden tractor with tiller.  Ya know, if I get antsy and plant soon, it will surly hit us with a blizzard.

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:34 AM

My garden still has about a foot and half of snow on it. My BIL haws some 10 yr old cow manure at his hobby farm down state from us. I am going to get a trailer and truck load from him and put it on the garden as soon as the ground thaws. We will till it in and then fertilize with a light fertilizer and then re-till for planting. This year wee will get it in earlier. Usually there are two or three frosts that we have to cover the plants in the spring. Looking forward to getting out there this year.

Roger

• tinbender7 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#3 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:06 AM

I still have to till mine up.  Some of it.  I increased the size 3 fold, only the original foot print has been turned under.  After I get it all tilled up, I *should* have access to either a truckload of cow or horse manure, all rotted for years.  Biting my fingernails I'm so anxious to get started!!

• hamman, tinbender7 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:41 AM

I am right now in the middle of a blizzard. My gardens are under 3 to 6 feet of snow. I am also wanting to plow ground not snow. Noel
  • hamman, tinbender7, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Had stuff planted for 3 weeks now..snakes are already out.

• hamman and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,841 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm feeling the same way--- call it "farmers fever". Sometimes it helps to get the box of old seeds out and start sorting. I usually draw a schematic of the new garden, when it gets real bad I even colour the rows, talk about desperate, lol. There's no point in me starting bedding plants inside until at least mid to late April, but I did cut a bunch of geranium slips and get them potted up, they're sitting in a south window sill and are doing their best to make me feel better about spring coming. Patience, Grasshopper.
  • hamman, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 12:27 PM

Got tatters started in croker sacks

• hamman and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 dcon12 ONLINE  

dcon12
  • Member No: 24440
  • 33 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Had stuff planted for 3 weeks now..snakes are already out.

I have potatoes up as well as other things. I gave my granddaughter some old bean seeds to plant three weeks ago because she was bugging me, they are up  and about 3 inches tall! Makes me want to plant mine! I also killed a six foot white oak runner yesterday that was in the nesting box trying to eat the eggs. Spring is here but I must wait until Easter. Don

• FrozenInTime and Auburn David have said thanks