Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 10:42 PM

I got these things with a bunch of stuff at a school auction.  I'm not quite sure what they are.

I think the device on the 2x4 is a valve cutter... the silver colored metal holder has a carbide cutting edge clamped in it.   Even then, I'm not sure how you'd make it work.

IMG_20150313_105104_168.jpg

The item with the two grooved rollers is an enigma... both the rollers have a pitch to them.. one of them has about a 3/16" hole in the free end... I'm wondering if it's a spring winder of some kind.

IMG_20150313_105114_364.jpg

The piece with the small rollers is another unknown.  One of the rollers has a slit in it, and the shaft for it is worn flat to about half it's original diameter... maybe something for use with flat springs???

The punch like objects have a shallow groove running the length of the head... they say "Pexto" on them so I assume they're for sheet metal though I don't know just what their purpose is...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 10:50 PM

My guess is a homemade spring maker and some wood lathe stuff

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 11:01 PM

The pexto ( Peck  Stow & Wilcox Co. of Ohio and Connecticut, sheet metal tools) tool is a standing seam folder. I can't tell by the picture but it's either that or a Pittsburgh closer tool for sheet metal. I used to use one of those for closing a Pittsburgh on duct work when I was a kid working for my dad's HVAC business. I believe the other one is a bending tool of some sort.  Neat find.

Roger

Edited by hamman, March 14, 2015 - 11:10 PM.

• Gtractor, tinbender7 and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#4 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 04:23 AM

The pexto ( Peck  Stow & Wilcox Co. of Ohio and Connecticut, sheet metal tools) tool is a standing seam folder. I can't tell by the picture but it's either that or a Pittsburgh closer tool for sheet metal. I used to use one of those for closing a Pittsburgh on duct work when I was a kid working for my dad's HVAC business. I believe the other one is a bending tool of some sort.  Neat find.

Roger

Grooving tools for flattening and offsetting folded edges in lock seaming, came in different sizes, 1/2 inch  to 1/8 inch  like Hamman said.  Other tools may have been used to form heavy wire for hanging duct work.

Stan

• hamman said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 05:32 AM

The little tool on the 2x4 is an old fashioned valve cutter. The valve goes in there so that the face is against the cutter edge. A crank handle would be clamped onto the handle to make turn. This all had to be done gently but firmly. I have one but never was happy with the resuslts so I bought a Souix Grinder. I believe all the small engine manufactures included them in their dealer tools. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor and hamman have said thanks