11 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:42 PM

I think its a 77.  My grandfather bought it new.  Its been used since new to mow 10 acres with.  Several years ago the engine was rebuilt for whatever reason but I don't remember.  A few years ago it died on us and hasn't been right since.  It kept breaking rotor caps or something in the distributor.  The shop dad took it do did a few other things but it was never right.  Sometimes you could mow for hours and sometimes it would die ever 10 minutes.   It was parked 2 years ago when my brother got a Zero turn.  I've been on dad to give it to me since then.  I ask about it today - then I got pissed - then my mother got involved - then im a new owner of a 77 Cub.  Any ways tomorrow I am going to mess with it.  Ill post more of an update on whats wrong with it when I mess with it again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150314_171853.jpg
  • 20150314_171908.jpg
  • 20150314_171921.jpg

• Gtractor, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:46 PM

I would suspect a wire that is shorting, a poor ground, the points, the coil, or the ignition switch. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 14, 2015 - 06:47 PM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Mom always knows best. Now that it's yours I'm sure you will figure it out and give it new life again.
Tom
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:24 PM

Shaft with the rotor button on it is worn causing the troubles you say are happening. This would break the rotor button and also change the points setting at any time. Check for wear there, just a guess. Noel
  • tinbender7, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Shaft with the rotor button on it is worn causing the troubles you say are happening. This would break the rotor button and also change the points setting at any time. Check for wear there, just a guess. Noel

That would be my guess, too... there's a bushing down in the distributor for the shaft... it could be worn out, allowing it to flop around when it has a mind to...

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 09:55 PM

I think the distributer was changed as well as the wiring harness.   I've been working on this in my head for hours.  I have a feeling this will be one of those drive it till it dies and troubleshoot on the spot.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 10:14 PM

David... I just noticed where your farm is--Georgetown Kentucky.  Seems to me that's near Lexington.  The Air Force stores some of their stuff at Blue Grass Army Depot.  I may be out there one of these days... if so, I'll look you up.

Smitty

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 10:27 PM

The distributor bushing makes sense. Rebuilt defectives are common so, don't trust it. Check it with a dial indecator. Good Luck, Rick

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 10:53 PM

Sounds good Utah Smitty.  Looks like the Distributor will be a good starting point. 

#10 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 10:24 AM

It looks like its a 1970 model. With electronic ignition does one wire go to one side or the coil and the other wire goes to the other side of the coil? From the manual it looks like it was originally a magneto setup? Either way with the key on I am getting 12v on both sides of the coil. I'm not familiar with the electronic ignition so I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be.

Edited by BairleaFarm, March 15, 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#11 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 02:38 PM

To the best of my knowledge by the time the square hood with yellow and white paint came out almost all of the Cubs had a distributor with the magneto being an option and from what little of it I can see in the pictures it looks like the wiring harness is original to the tractor.  When you ask about the electronic ignition do you mean the things that are already there or has an electronic conversion kit been put in the distributor?  As for the breaking rotors and just randomly shutting off, like the others have said the bushing in the distributor will do that.  The aftermarket caps and rotors in recent years have been getting poorer in quality to the point where I sometimes have to use a knife or file on them to get them to seat properly.  That might also be some of the cause of the problems.  Both are still available from Case, if you get new ones from a dealer or online there is 2 listed for each. On one of them the number ends in gv don't get that one as its an aftermarket.  Hope this helps.              Stewart

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Correct. Points and Condenser have been replaced with electronic internals. Turns out a wire under the rotor was grounding out. Problem solved and she's running.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150315_153256.jpg

• Coventry Plumber said thank you