Apr 15....Don't buy gas day.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:55 PM

Anyone else heard of this...Are you going to do it?

Login | Facebook

#2 mjay OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 01:49 PM

And buy it the day after instead?

I dont see what this is going to achieve!

Only way the price will ever go down is if we use less (and even then I cant see them reducing the price!)

#3 akretowicz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2090
  • 147 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 02:47 PM

I am thinking the whole point to the don't buy gas day is if (and I mean a big if) everyone nationwide does not purchase fuel of any type. Strength in numbers is the logic here. Unfortunately, there are way too many who don't care what the price and will buy anyway. Therefore the whole concept is pointless for the most part. If absolutely no one bought any, the financial shockwave would be enormous on the petroleum industry. Just my thoughts on the issue. I for one, will most likely not purchase any on that date.

#4 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10
  • 110 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:11 PM

First I ever heard of that one. Most likely I won't buy any that day, but in reality it is doubtful to have any effect.

For some reason that I cannot explain the price here in several different locations and different brands DROPPED:laughingteeth: from $3.59 to $3.49. Still hardly a bargin but a nice surprise anyhow.

#5 trigger OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2379
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:44 AM

Didnt they try this last time gas got high?It doesnt have any effect.

#6 broken2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sorry, I'm gonna have to buy gas that day. I'm heading down to the PA Plow Day on the 15th and can't make it on one tank.

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:31 PM

Personally i dont see this making any difference, as mentioned people would just go get their petrol the next day, thats if (and its a very big if) you manage to get people to do it, people in general are strange that way, you cannot get huge numbers to do the same thing, it is like trying to herd cats.

What has a better chance is to boycot a particular company, pick one and everybody must stick on it (again not likely), what should happen is the loss of trade would force that company to lower its prices to win back trade, of course that will bring all customers back, and more importantly new customers too.
This will spark a price war which will benefit everybody.

That said, im not so sure the problem lies with the oil companies, it's more to do with Government taxes, the oil companies are just businesses like any other, yes they make massive profits but they also employ a huge amount of people, they have overheads like any other business, also exploration, off shore drilling etc are not cheap so im not so sure they can lower the prices so far, i think the only way you can get the prices down is demanding it from your government, its them that hold the purse strings.