• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:37 PM

I been looking at some. will they work on my cub cadet homemade front loader for light pallet moving ?

• FrozenInTime and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:42 PM

They can be hard on your bucket and the bucket cylinders. Be carefull about it. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, FrozenInTime and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 11:08 PM

:ditto: anything past the bucket puts more force on the lift parts. I could give a more defined formula to figure that out, but its way passed my learnin'

• Alc, boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:40 AM

I made a set for my PK , a few things I found out was I thought the forks at 3/4" x 3" wide made from old steel I got at work would be strong but this steel is pretty soft and I've bent them , didn't that more then tipping the bucket the other way against the ground to straighten them The other was quite the eye opener lol I was using the forks to unload my RotoHoe chipper from my pickup . Had the forks under it with a small ratchet strap to secure it . Lifting it was easy but while lowering the bucket I tried to tilt the bucket back so the forks would stay level . The loader valve doesn't have load checks built in so even though I was using the handle to tilt the bucket back the load was heavier then the cylinders could move so instead of just staying in the position if it had load checks the bucket tilted foward and the only thing holding keeping the chipper from crashing to the ground was the little strap. I'm much more careful when I use them now but they are handy, Al
  • IamSherwood, boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#5 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:57 AM

I'd be concerned with the leverage on the tractor. Lifting weight that far out in front of the front wheels can get tricky a times. With caution its fine but it's human nature to push the limits. I and probably many others have had the rear wheels lift of the ground before with a heavy load in the bucket. But clamp on fork can be very useful even in just light duty.

Tom
  • Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:08 AM

I made a set up of forks for my big FORD tractors. I made a frame that replaces the bucket. I bought some used forks from a fork lift repair place. They slide onto the frame. The frame will also adapt a snowplow to the tractor. I will probably come up with a few other tools to hang off the adapter. I'm thinking of a boom for lifting. I wanted the adapter to work like the big CAT tool holders I had seen.

Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, KennyP, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:20 AM

I made a set up of forks for my big FORD tractors. I made a frame that replaces the bucket. I bought some used forks from a fork lift repair place. They slide onto the frame. The frame will also adapt a snowplow to the tractor. I will probably come up with a few other tools to hang off the adapter. I'm thinking of a boom for lifting. I wanted the adapter to work like the big CAT tool holders I had seen.

Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

That sounds like a very useful attachment. Any pictures?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Right now its buried under snow but I can take some pics and post them after the snow melts. Its something I put together 20 years ago for taking building supplies off the delivery trucks when I was building my house. I hadn't even thought about them in awhile. Good Luck, Rick

#9 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 09:22 AM

I don't like the way most clamp on forks hang on the front edge of the bucket.  

Don't laugh too much: I tried my hand at making a set of wood forks that transfer some of the weight to the rear of bucket.   They worked well till a defect in one of the 2x4's allowed it to break off.  I expect that if I used hardwood or laminated the forks it would have been ok but I was planing to make them in steel.  Just as soon as I teach myself to weld.  

On several occasions I loaded enough to lift the rear of the tractor off.  Putting the box blade on fixed that but it only lifted a few more lbs before it hit the limit of what the hydraulics were set to lift.

They are attached with a single pipe clamp on each side so the go on fast.  Please pretend the BX is a big GT :)

B1.jpg

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Thanks everybody I might buy a welder and make something.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Most of the snow has melted off the trailer so here is what I got.

SD530809.JPG SD530810.JPG SD530811.JPG

The 2 horizontal angles are 3 x 3 x3/4" and the 4 vertical are 6 x 6 x 1/2". The pins are 1" diameter for the Ford 2000 and when I use the Ford 4500 I put sleeves in the loader frame because its pins are 1 1/4".  Good Luck, Rick

How do I lighten the pics?

Edited by boyscout862, March 15, 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#12 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 04:30 PM

I bought my forks & top /bottom bars off ebay & made the frame for mine, it's for a JD 790 w/300 loader:    Farm 047.jpg  HPIM1975 - Copy.JPG  HPIM1973 - Copy.JPG

• Alc and bbuckler have said thanks