11 replies to this topic

#1 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Hello GTT,

I hooked up a Bolens tiller to my 1050 today. The tiller has sat outside for many years with no use. When I engaged the PTO the tiller made a loud shrilling noise so I shut it off immediately. I am assuming that it needs lubrication. As I searched around the web it seems that I can use 80w90 gear oil. Is there a better choice? How do I know how much to add? Bolens 1050 with tiller.jpg Also, I don't know the model # as the sticker is torn off. Maybe this photo will help: 

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Nice Set up. Check our Manuals Section for the original Bolens Manual. I would remove the driveshaft, block it above the ground, and play with turning it by hand. Check for something stuck in the tines. You could have bad bearings or a damaged gear. Turning by hand can help you find the problem. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2015 - 07:30 PM.

• bill1261 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:34 PM

It is usually a real good idea to check a piece of equipment over BEFORE you put power to it.  Make sure it turns freely, chain is not froze in one area, gear case is full of oil, etc. especially if it has been in the outdoor shed.   But seeing as how you by passed that your are probably on the right track with the gear case.  There is a plug in the side.  Fill it up to that level and you should be good for that part.  Your 80/90 gear oil will work fine.  Make sure your U joints are free and not to loose or they could fly apart.   Make sure the drive shaft is not rubbing on something under the tractor.  Look it all over good for anything that could cause a problem like wire wrapped around the tiller tines or the drive shaft.  Good luck with your tiller.

• bill1261 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 greystone OFFLINE  

greystone
  • Member No: 60100
  • 14 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:28 PM

there should be a plug to fill it. take out the plug and see if anything comes out. if not, then its low on oil. the oil you suggested should be fine. you should block it up and try turning the tines over a few times.

• bill1261 said thank you

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Not much more I can say than whats been posted other than I hope you got some big arms on you,those are a beast to lift up and down,if you get it figured out and your happy I would start looking for the optional hydraulic lift kit,your going to be happy with the way they till,you got the good heavy duty model,I used to run mine in first gear low range,seemed to be a good match,good luck
  • boyscout862, bill1261 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Bolens tillers usually have two plugs. One is high up towards the front of the gearcase. That is the filler plug. The other one is down on the side of the gearcase near the tine shaft. That is the oil level plug. You are supposed to take out both plugs (after cleaning off around them to keep dirt out of the gearcase), then fill at the top until the gear lube comes out the level plug. Reinstall both plugs.

80W90 is just fine.

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, bill1261 and 1 other said thanks

#7 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 02:57 AM

Not much more I can say than whats been posted other than I hope you got some big arms on you,those are a beast to lift up and down,if you get it figured out and your happy I would start looking for the optional hydraulic lift kit,your going to be happy with the way they till,you got the good heavy duty model,I used to run mine in first gear low range,seemed to be a good match,good luck

You ain't kidding about having BIG arms!! It took me a few hours to wrangle that sucker on there! How would I find an optional hydraulic lift kit for the 1050? Is it something that is made today or would I have to look for something older?

• blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Use 90 weight mineral gear oil, the same as the transmissions.

There are also some bronze components in the tillers so make sure its not synthetic oil.

• MH81 and bill1261 have said thanks

#9 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 09:20 AM

You can check with the site sponsors,or watch the classifieds here,also ebay,craigslist,there a little hard to find but out there,they usually do $175.00-$250.00 depending on the shape of them,well worth the money
  • bill1261 said thank you

#10 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 11:15 AM

That noise you describe sounds like dry universals. Check the universals on the drive shaft and pto and grease everything.

• blackjackjakexxix and bill1261 have said thanks

#11 sly_42 OFFLINE  

sly_42
  • Member No: 68080
  • 28 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 11:19 AM

I have the same setup. 1rst gear low range couldn't ask for a better tiller. Only downfall is when the tiller is picked up it will slide the front tires trying to turn.

• blackjackjakexxix and bill1261 have said thanks

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I am picking up a tiller for my 1053 tomorrow. Haven't seen it yet but my brother said it was darn heavy. I have some 44lb, old IH suitcase type weights made to hang on the side of the old M Farmall tractors. Going to see if I can get one or two of them hung on the front when the tiller is on. Might have to make some saddle bags and put the weights in them?
  • Bolens800uk said thank you