• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:30 PM

We are now in the "mud season" here in Northeast CT. The snow has collapsed from 42" deep in the north yard to about 12" but, it is dense.

The driveway is muddy and is getting rutted. I dug out the earthcavator attachment and put it on the 3310 which has the electric lift. I've owned it for 10 years but this was the first time I used it. It has problems because it doesn't float. It made the driveway smoother but the leaves clumped and then I had to go shopping. While I was out, the UPS guy made a delivery and messed up the beginning of the drive. He walked the rest of the way.

I think the earthcavator is a really good tool for fixing the driveway but the tractor needs to have float. I used the backblading function of the tool. It also has boxscraper and scarifier functions. The first pic shows the end of the drive with the right side backbladed and the left is how it looked to start.SD530806.JPG SD530807.JPG SD530808.JPG

If you get a chance, look the earthcavator up on youtube. Good Luck, Rick

• DH1, IamSherwood, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Glad you got to play on the mud!  Since your tractor doesn't have float, send the earthcavator to me. The FF's have float!

• boyscout862 and bob0usa have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:58 PM

That looks like it's doing the trick.

Hope you're feeling better.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Good Stuff :thumbs:  someday I'd like to get me one of them.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Kenny but no thanks. I was going to put it on the AC B-10 which can float. Unfortunately, the fuel shutoff was leaking so I had to settle for the 3310. I realized that it is the wider model when I got it on the GT. It will stay in the collection of AC/Simplicity attachments. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, Talntedmrgreen and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:13 PM

How much of a crown (arch) do you have in your driveway boyscout?  A decent crown will help with water runoff so you have fewer ruts. The road my uncle lives on isn't much more then a widened logging trail and it has no crown whatsoever. Consequently all the rain water and snow melt runs right down or lays in the road causing some serious ruts and potholes.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:22 PM

There is no crown at this time. A gravel drive should have a crown. Snow plowing takes the crown down. The lengthwise slope is normally good enough. This is water that starts out the morning as frost in the soil, melts and turns it all to mud. I would like to add 1" stone but there is no room to store a pile until the snow piles melt. Adding clean stone to the mud will allow the stone to push down into the mud and make it firm. I should add stone about every five years but haven't for about 10 years. I was planning to open up the shoulders but the dozer is down. Another project on the back burner. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2015 - 06:29 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Looks like that will do the trick. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow, so I'll be spending more time with the grader blade on the Landlord. I have one soft spot in the driveway and I'll be pushing some gravel to that area. I'm glad to be out there moving gravel around instead of snow!

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:36 PM

You got an Earthcavator, I don't like you  :poke:  :D

A smaller version 36" I think was made for Sears, I bet it was a bear to lift with the armstrong 3pt.

I made some mods to my box bucket, hopefully it will grade my gravel drive better. 

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:46 PM

You got an Earthcavator, I don't like you  :poke:  :D

A smaller version 36" I think was made for Sears, I bet it was a bear to lift with the armstrong 3pt.

I made some mods to my box bucket, hopefully it will grade my gravel drive better. 

I was real lucky to find it 10 years ago along with 3 other attachments. The real trick is to backblade so that you are not moving much material but you are smoothing it. I've done it many times with the FEL but It churns up the mud and the bucket isn't as wide as the tires. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2015 - 09:16 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Is there some way you can hang the thing by a chain? That will allow you to lower your hitch but the Earthcavator will float.

Edited by Cvans, March 13, 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:34 PM

I would think you would want a limited float on something like that. A stiff top link with a few inches of slop built in might work better, unless you had a weight box on the back.

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Float is a good thing at times, I would just like to have the chance to work in the mud instead of snow , soon. Spring is coming, I think. Noel.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 05:06 AM

As heavy as the earthcavator is, would just float do what you want? It may still dig it due to that fact with out down pressure. On the FF's, I have 3 ways to control depth with the 3-point. First is float. Second, both sides of the lower links are adjustable. Last, there is a lift depth adjustment.

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:34 AM

For backblading I think that the 165# it weighs will be enough. If I was scarifying or box scraping the down pressure might be needed. I found that when I had it pushed down the tractor would get stuck and the wheels would spin. I am considering a chain but right now it is complete as it came from the AC dealer and I hate to modify my original toys. I have a hydraulic lift for the Big Ten and it may be best to install it and use the earthcavator with that. When I get into sandblasting and painting I plan to give it the full restoration. Its a rainy and cold day here. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP said thank you