7 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 10:35 PM

I am resurrecting a Honda HT3813.  The poor thing sat outside for years, but it runs, drives, and mows great.

It mows so great, though, that it doesn't want to stop.

I have heard that the clutch and brake discs will wear out and cause this issue.  I suppose that could be why the tractor was parked when it was parked, but I also wonder if there is a possibility that the clutch could be rusted shut.  

Could the clutch be just seized from sitting outside?  

It just seems to me that the blades should stop, brake or no brake, while I'm trying to cut heavy grass when the clutch is disengaged.  

Any thoughts?

Ben W.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:29 AM

Ben I'm sure your going to find it stuck mechanically   but myself I also would make sure the PTO relay didn't burn the contacts fast .  or other electric problem .   

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Clutch looks like a small mechanical Car clutch.Linkage could be stuck or the bearing seized or the cables could be seized.

https://www.partstre...o-clutch-lever/

https://www.partstre...9/p-t-o-clutch/

Kinda betting on the Cables to be junk if it sat outside.Possibly it just needs adjusted.Both cables are adjustable.

Was reading and found that if the clutch is worn out it will also stick engaged.

Parts for these are gona start to get very hard to find soon.They quit making parts but you might find aftermarket replacements like these cables.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3aa3219808

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3aa3628a6d

Edited by EricFromPa, March 13, 2015 - 06:39 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:41 AM

I would love to find one of these.They are a sweet running little mower.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Neat set-up for that PTO clutch , if I'm understanding it right there's 2 cables ?

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 06:11 PM

These clutches have been known to do this because the bearing inside locks and cant turn causing the pulley to keep rotating

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I would love to find one of these.They are a sweet running little mower.

Thanks for all your help, Eric.  I'll check the adjustments and see.  I'm hoping simple, but I'm prepared to for the worst!

When I get it done, come to VA and you can take this little guy home with you!

These clutches have been known to do this because the bearing inside locks and cant turn causing the pulley to keep rotating

I was afraid of that.  I guess the only thing to do is to pull the stupid clutch off and see. 

Ben W.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 09:42 PM

The end of the story on the Honda is that rust had taken its toll on the clutch. 

The whole design of that clutch is really brilliant.  When the clutch is supposed to be on, there is a spring that holds the two halves of the mower drive pulley tightly onto the rotating friction disc.  When you turn it off, another brake assembly moves forward and punches that spring loose and at the same time stops the blades by using a brake pad onto the pulley.

I love it.  It engages smooth unlike an electric clutch and also stops the deck nearly instantly. 

My clutch had three main problems.  One was that the brake pads were worn down to nothing, which probably was a symptom and not really a cause.  Two was that the fiber lining on the drive disc had come loose just due to corrosion, making that disc about 1/4 inch wider than it should be.  Three was that the metal linings that grab that drive disc had rusted to the fiber disc and had also been pitted. 

I replaced the brake, clutch disc, and both metal linings.   Once I adjusted the clutch, that cured it.

I see now why people love these tractors.  It starts the instant the starter touches the flywheel, it will run all week on one tank of fuel, and it mows like a dream.

Makes me wonder why Honda ever quit making them!

Ben W.