• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 FrozenInTime ONLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Very nice looking!  That is something to be down right proud of.

• massey driver said thank you

#47 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 07:53 AM

WOW that looks incredible! Good job! :thumbs:

#48 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:59 AM

I've finally finished the cab.I installed it about a month ago and have slowly been finishing off the wiring,installed some lights, made and installed a under seat wind stopper.installed the wiper motor .Have the heater working and all the switches put on for the snowblower remotes etc: Also closed off the place under the dash where its screened to cool the rad.Its finally done and have been using it. You can see why I needed to narrow the back of the cab a bit with the grass catcher being installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• cab 005 (Small).jpg
  • cab 004 (Small).jpg
  • cab 007 (Small).jpg
  • cab 008 (Small).jpg
  • cab 009 (Small).jpg
  • cab 010 (Small).jpg
  • cab 012 (Small).jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#49 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:30 PM

That all looks great, what did you use for a heater? Hope my cab turns out half as good as yours did :thumbs:

#50 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 07:59 AM

That all looks great, what did you use for a heater? Hope my cab turns out half as good as yours did :thumbs:

The heater is home made . Its in a very tight place,I made it to fit behind the seat. Its 2" wide on the bottom and tapers to 5" wide at the top.It follows the angle of the where the top link for the 3pth is made in the back of the cab. I used a heater core out of a 91 buick Regal. Used some sheet metal that I salvaged from a stove [range] and used cardboard to make up a mock up version of the heater,then tranfered it to the sheet metal cut and bent it where it needed to be. The fan Is something that I ordered on line. seen it and figured it would work.Aside from the cost of the fan everything I had was just laying around.Oh yeah the pipes sticking out are 2" plumbing pvc. Cut some thin pieces from the joiners and glued them onto a straight piece of pipe.Just used elbows to direct the air flow [the elbows aren't glued in place.

• Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#51 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:25 AM

The heater is home made . Its in a very tight place,I made it to fit behind the seat. Its 2" wide on the bottom and tapers to 5" wide at the top.It follows the angle of the where the top link for the 3pth is made in the back of the cab. I used a heater core out of a 91 buick Regal. Used some sheet metal that I salvaged from a stove [range] and used cardboard to make up a mock up version of the heater,then tranfered it to the sheet metal cut and bent it where it needed to be. The fan Is something that I ordered on line. seen it and figured it would work.Aside from the cost of the fan everything I had was just laying around.Oh yeah the pipes sticking out are 2" plumbing pvc. Cut some thin pieces from the joiners and glued them onto a straight piece of pipe.Just used elbows to direct the air flow [the elbows aren't glued in place.

Thanks for the info on the heater, I'm thinking of doing something like that, but I'm going to run PVC ducts to the windows for "defrosters". How did you plumb into the cooling system on the tractor?

#52 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info on the heater, I'm thinking of doing something like that, but I'm going to run PVC ducts to the windows for "defrosters". How did you plumb into the cooling system on the tractor?

There was a threaded plug that I removed in the thermostat housing and returned it into the bottom of the rad. .Lots of others are using there bypass hose for there heaters.

#53 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

70sgreatestrockbands@gmail
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 79744
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Cool! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I admire you guys who take on projects like this. I think a Project like this would be fun. A lot of work but fun.

I love it when people admire the same things I do.

Edited by 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail, January 16, 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#54 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 01:08 PM

After using it for blowing snow a couple times,I'am going to move/change the return line from the heater. I'am going to see if I can put a tee into the lower rad hose as close as possible to the water pump as I can using a 5/8" port/nipple, back into the hose. [right now its returned into the bottom of the rad where its only about 1/4" hole] . I figure that it will give me better heat by doing it that way. My reasoning is that I won't be putting the warmer water into the rad it will be returned into the motor sooner,also I won't be restricting the water movement.This way it should be warmer..Right now I've put a piece of cardboard right against the front of the rad with a hole the size of a coffee can. It sure has improved the heaters heat output by doing that.

• olcowhand, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#55 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:24 AM

Freaking awesome quality work in this build Larry!  Hat's off to ya!!!

#56 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 06:10 AM

You will need a valve to slow down the coolant flow, through the heater core, but returning the fluid back to the lower hose will work just fine. Might be easier to return it to the top hose ? I would be a bit nervous at the bottom, as it creates suction there, you don't want to cavitate the pump with air pockets from the core.
  • olcowhand, massey driver and Alc have said thanks