#16 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 04:38 PM

my wife works in the automotive industry, selling parts.  she actually now manages the parts department at the local ford place.  when she first started that sort of thing she worked for napa, and me being the loving a devoted husband I am called her one day firs thing in the morning having a kiniption fit about the bad muffler bearing in my truck !! :smilewink:  told her to look it up and bring me home a new one.  not a peep out of her all day long --------  5  rolls around and she gets home from work and there is smoke rolling out of her ears she is so mad at me, of course she went and looked it up and couldn't find it so she asked for help ( I figured it would end here in a good laugh ) well the other kid working there couldn't find it either :wallbanging: so he goes and gets a third guy that works there and behold all three of them cant find me a new muffler bearing.  apparently this went on all day with the three of them looking for a muffler bearing until the manager of the store came in and saw the three of them pouring thru the books.  well of course that didn't end well, that was well over 10 years ago and even now when I bring up  muffler bearings she gets sore and wont talk to me for a bit :thumbs:

Pete

• KennyP said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:47 PM

my wife works in the automotive industry, selling parts.  she actually now manages the parts department at the local ford place.  when she first started that sort of thing she worked for napa, and me being the loving a devoted husband I am called her one day firs thing in the morning having a kiniption fit about the bad muffler bearing in my truck !! :smilewink:  told her to look it up and bring me home a new one.  not a peep out of her all day long --------  5  rolls around and she gets home from work and there is smoke rolling out of her ears she is so mad at me, of course she went and looked it up and couldn't find it so she asked for help ( I figured it would end here in a good laugh ) well the other kid working there couldn't find it either :wallbanging: so he goes and gets a third guy that works there and behold all three of them cant find me a new muffler bearing.  apparently this went on all day with the three of them looking for a muffler bearing until the manager of the store came in and saw the three of them pouring thru the books.  well of course that didn't end well, that was well over 10 years ago and even now when I bring up  muffler bearings she gets sore and wont talk to me for a bit :thumbs:

Pete

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#18 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:00 PM

The first time I heard the term, exhaust fluid, I swear I thought it was a joke!

#19 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:03 PM

I'll accept cashless cash for wireless wire, but there is no discount!

#20 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:46 PM

You all would love the military, we would send new recruits looking for boxes of ground guides, boxes of grid squares to replace ones on the maps, heck, I even had one guy looking for left handed screw drivers and wrenches for a whole day ( i am a lefty by the way). A few more favorites are squelch grease for the radios and the air pressure in the tank road wheels.

#21 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 08:57 AM

My first real get paid with a check job started when I was 15 working the counter at a NAPA parts house.  It was definitely trial by fire.  The real mechanics would do everything to try and get you going.  I did that all the way through college, then I started building, then quoting & selling heavy trucks.  We've sent people after all the typical stuff--muffler bearings, left handed screwdrivers, spark plugs for N14 Cummins, S-60 Detroits, 3208 Cats--anything with a diesel.  Returned bolts because the hex head was on the wrong end.  I've sold half sets of disc pads at full price to people that were too tight to buy a full set, only to turn around and sell them the second half a month or two later.  We would leave missed call messages on desks to call Mr. Behr with the number for the state zoo.  *69 and CallerId killed the prank phone message business.

After college, one of my favorites was working on a truck spec with a dealer that needed a very light weight tractor for a bulk hauler.  Being 24 at the time with no wife, no kids to support or mortage to worry about paying, I thought it would be funny to quote him helium filled tires for extra lift to reduce the scale weight on his truck.  He either didn't catch it or thought it was real and quoted it to the customer with my made up weight reduction and price.  He got the deal and sent the order in with helium filled tires.  It kind of went downhill from there when the order landed in the engineering department.

You can't do stuff like that in today's world.  It's viewed as disrepectful or bullying. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale