Garden Tractor Forums banner

Gravel on the lawn

2K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  JD DANNELS 
#1 ·
Most of our snow piles have melted, revealing how much gravel needs to be cleaned up.

I put a peice of schedule 40 on my snow blade. It works great for my gravel drive.

Everywhere that I pushed snow is clean.

However where the village pushed snow I've got a mess to clean up. :mad2:

Once the frost is out of the ground I'll be rolling and mowing. Rick

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I usually hook up the rear blade and pull snow back into the driveway on the warm days. I spread it out with the blade and it melts pretty quick. The best part is, it brings a majority of the stone with it without too much damage to the lawn.

#4 ·
I was out with a rake last night pulling some of the snow/ice full of gravel back on the drive. Still gonna be a clean up mess. I said I was gonna put a piece of PVC on there this winter, but never got around to it.

#5 ·
yeah it has been in the 60;s for highs all week. Just got in from grading the ruts in the lane. Still a little soft on the edges.
And I have gravel out there to pull back. I have a landscape rake for my Ford 1500 that works pretty well for pulling the gravel out of the grass. I am not going to get too excited,it is only March 11, I could expect snow for about another 3 weeks? Stihl makes a rubber paddle wheel for the weed eater that is about the slickest way I have seen for cleaning the gravel out of the lawn.

#9 ·
My neighbor used to plow his snow in my back yard. Not a problem. But would never clean up the little gravel I always did it and put in by my garage Finley got sick of it and asked him nicely to at least help next year same thing gravel all over asked him again he told my to shove it so I told him I'm not responsible for any windows that rocks go thought. I know it's not good for the mower deck but he got his rocks back and every year spence he helps clean the gravel up lol....

#10 ·
Yep! EVery year! The leaf blower thing Really Does work, suprised me! Biggest issue is long enough cord to go all the way out. Won't work as well if grass starts growing, but early does fine. I have that new brush for my PK now, was thinking of trying it out. Supposed to be able to thatch with right setting, so why not stones? We'll see. Have raked many years, getting too old for that anymore, need many breaks when doing that now.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
yeah it has been in the 60;s for highs all week. Just got in from grading the ruts in the lane. Still a little soft on the edges.
And I have gravel out there to pull back. I have a landscape rake for my Ford 1500 that works pretty well for pulling the gravel out of the grass. I am not going to get too excited,it is only March 11, I could expect snow for about another 3 weeks? Stihl makes a rubber paddle wheel for the weed eater that is about the slickest way I have seen for cleaning the gravel out of the lawn.
We have one of those paddles on our Echo weed eater, works slick...

I use my lawn sweeper first set down low and it'll pick up a lot of stones. Then the wife get's out the Echo, and brushes every stone off the lawn.

#17 ·
I have a gravel driveway almost 300ft long but no lawn so I don't have the problem. We still have piles of snow here but it is nice to see some folks are getting close to seeing the lawn again.

#19 ·
Wish I had a sweeper as I literally have a ton of gravel in the grass to rake back.
I bet that loader wasn't too selective between gravel and snow!

#21 ·
Seeing lawn and Greening in parts where snow was piled up. All wrecked in places I used blade and things on, like always. Also where piles were is no piles of grass and leaves/dirt, what-ever all in one clumpy area. Stones too then in mix. NOW...have to wait till it dries some, can barely walk in yard and 2 wheel cart and garbage can on wheels make pretty hard grooves still. Tractor would be real bad damage. AND, can still snow yet, that One big one for the winter ending, ha! Rain tommorrow, that ought to be nice and messy.

#22 ·
Seeing lawn and Greening in parts where snow was piled up. All wrecked in places I used blade and things on, like always. Also where piles were is no piles of grass and leaves/dirt, what-ever all in one clumpy area. Stones too then in mix. NOW...have to wait till it dries some, can barely walk in yard and 2 wheel cart and garbage can on wheels make pretty hard grooves still. Tractor would be real bad damage. AND, can still snow yet, that One big one for the winter ending, ha! Rain tommorrow, that ought to be nice and messy.
I always like to see that first warm rain of spring. It takes out the frost and helps to settle the frost heaves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.