caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:39 PM

...No, this is not a basketball related post LOL!

I just wanted to show everyone what I picked up today! My oldest daughter and I went for a little road trip (about 4 1/2 hours round trip with a few stops along the way).

First we went to pick up this engine.
DSCN1916.jpg

It's a Tecumseh HH60 105079E. It runs great, but it's not the right engine for my Commando 6 :( It's the aluminum block, but it has the 3/4" crank shaft dia. as it came off of a tiller (Troy-bilt I think).

On the up side, less than 20 minutes away, I found this engine. And a whole lot more...
DSCN1919.jpg

It's also an HH60, but its a 105047D. Still not the exact right engine for my Commando 6, but it's a lot closer. It's the right number, but the wrong series. This one has the cast iron block and came out of a Lawn Ranger I believe. As you can see, it's missing the carb, the air cleaner, the gas tank, and the gas tank mounting bracket. But I figure I can rob some of that off of the other engine if I can't find a replacement one elsewhere. Does anyone know what this piece is that's attached to the back of the engine shroud?
DSCN1921.jpg

It looks like a set of resistors to me...or fuses maybe. I ran out of time to investigate too deeply.
Also, can anyone tell me if the coil set-up is original, and if so, should it be on the Commando 6? This one also has the electric start on it! Was that an option on the Commando 6?

I also scored this seat for $25 ...which is like new with just one tiny hole (about 1/8" in Dia.) in the side.
DSCN1922.jpg

It's a perfect match for the one that's destroyed on the Commando!

As if that all wasn't enough, I also grabbed this set of front wheels with a like new set of tri-rib tires on them for $24! (The guy asked for $25, but all I had was $24 left and I told him I'd scrounge in the car to come up with the other $1, but he sad not to worry about it LOL!)
DSCN1923.jpg

All in all, I think it was a great day! I scored some really nice stuff and got to spend the day with my 14, soon to be 15 year old daughter, an event that will probably be among the last of it's kind before she loses interest in Dad and his junk.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1920.jpg
  • DSCN1915.jpg
  • DSCN1924.jpg

Edited by caseguy, March 12, 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Congratulations on getting the engines!!

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Great find, way to go !!!

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Good deal steve

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Great finds......and I need one of those HH60's! That's the engine I need for my V3-6 Bush Hog tractor. I know a guy with several of them, but it will be like pulling teeth to pry one from him. I need one with ring gear starter.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I felt pretty lucky...blessed even, today! should've played the lottery too!
Dan, I did a search tempest search for a 100 mile radius of "Tecumseh engines" and these came up. They were an hour away, but within 12 miles of each other!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Man Steve, those look even better when not on the cell phone screen. The big pics tell the story... you got a great deal today.

Even better, you got to spend some drive time with your kiddo.

#8 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:19 AM

Looks like you got a lot of great stuff there!!!

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:39 AM

Steve, I have to say, great deal on the mounted tri ribs, how would you like to double your money, I been wanting a pair for the Springfield for a couple years but no spare rims and too cheap to buy new tires lol.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Steve, I have to say, great deal on the mounted tri ribs, how would you like to double your money, I been wanting a pair for the Springfield for a couple years but no spare rims and too cheap to buy new tires lol.

Thanks for the offer Casey, but the wheels are already spoken for...as for the tri-ribs, they're going on the Commando 6 eventually. Sorry.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the offer Casey, but the wheels are already spoken for...as for the tri-ribs, they're going on the Commando 6 eventually. Sorry.

Well, since that's eventually, what about just bringing them out to the plow day so I can see what they look like on the Electric Springfield? (unless I break down and buy some before then)
I am probably going to end up buying a 2 pairs of tri ribs, one pair for the Springfield and one pair for the Elec Trak, turns out it's on 4.80-8s up front.

#12 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:15 PM

It looks like a set of resistors to me...or fuses maybe. I ran out of time to investigate too deeply.

Those are diodes that rectify the AC current from the stator. They are polarity sensitive so take note of the way they are installed. There may be a band of paint on one end of them. The fuse above it is a current limiter - simple and effective.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Those are diodes that rectify the AC current from the stator. They are polarity sensitive so take note of the way they are installed. There may be a band of paint on one end of them. The fuse above it is a current limiter - simple and effective.

Garry

Thanks for the answer Garry! I had actually done a little research after work today and thought I had figured it out, but now I have confirmation! Do you know if this set up is supposed to be on this engine?

#14 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:38 AM

When the same Tecumseh spec number is used multiple years on WH product the suffix letter appears to change for each year but I don't know if that is to identify the year or not.

You can get to the parts list at
Partstree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines.
Type Tecumseh in the 2nd box and the 105047 in the 3rd box. The 105047D will come up.

There is a fellow making replacement covers for the circuit board if you need one. If you need will dig up his contact info.

Garry
  • caseguy said thank you

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 04:41 PM

When the same Tecumseh spec number is used multiple years on WH product the suffix letter appears to change for each year but I don't know if that is to identify the year or not...

Thanks for the info Garry. When I pull up that parts diagram, I do not see that diode circuit or an external ignition coil in either of the exploded views. For that matter, I don't see an armature or a stator that would be behind the flywheel. Some of the part numbers do not even have a description or a listing in the parts list. This is starting to be frustrating LOL!

There is a fellow making replacement covers for the circuit board if you need one. If you need will dig up his contact info...

Looks like I'll need one. I don't even know what it's supposed to look like.

Edited by caseguy, March 14, 2011 - 04:48 PM.