#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I'm doing some garden work here before planting season. I'm wanting to do some drainage work since it seems my top soil is always washing away. Also have trouble with the lower half staying to wet and rotting out the plants. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with drainage? I have probably 12 truck loads of horse manure down there now, I'm going to haul out probably half and pile it. The rest will be spread throughout the garden, but I don't want to spread to much because I don't want my soil to get to rich.

Anyway, I don't want the drainage to take up any space, just kinda wanting to slow down the water when it rains (if it ever rains).

The tractors I have available right now is a Bolens HT23 with 54" push blade with 3-pt, rear blade and box blade. Also have a Kubota L2000 (20hp) with loader, backhoe, rear blade and box blade. I also have another loader that is only good for scooping.

I hope the pictures help, It's hard to get a pic of the slope.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Minneapolis Moline G705 Engine 021.jpg
  • Minneapolis Moline G705 Engine 022.jpg
  • Minneapolis Moline G705 Engine 048.jpg

Edited by BTS, March 10, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Move the garden to the top of the rise in picture?  Looks to me like you are using the Lowest spot in area and IS going to be wet and wash away on those hills.

• Cvans, BTS and cootertom have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Agreed. Garden needs to be on higher ground.

• Cvans, BTS and cootertom have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:22 AM

I agree also. Unless you plan on growing rice I would move the garden. 

• BTS and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Since you have a loader/BH You could also try to scrape up the topsoil in the lower section and bring it up the hill to level the top section.

• BTS said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 05:21 PM

If you can spare the real estate, cut a ditch starting above the garden and down both sides. Line that ditch with corn stalks tied together and staked down or straw bales that are staked down.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I don't have any more room to switch garden spots, besides no mater were the garden is it's going to be on a hill.

The only flat spot on the place is were the 1st garden is at, it's smaller and fenced in to keep out the pest. The 2nd garden (pictured above) is for the bigger crops that take up more room. I'll do a little research on terrace work and see what I come up with.

Thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 05:48 AM

My garden starts out as a slight slope the gets steeper , over the years the soil kind of leveled it self out but when I wanted to make it bigger I came across old pt 2x6 from the neighbors deck he was throwing away , I figured that being 25 years old they should be ok to use for gardening . I made a 3' x 36'  raised bed on the steeper spot .  Maybe you could do something like that on your wettest area ? Do you have a certain time that it gets very wet ? Maybe just change planting there

• Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Have you thought of a small berm across the upper parts with a tube inlet and tile out to below you lower garden area.   Plastic tile line is inexpensive, perforated to allow for excess moisture to drain off also. For no more area than your talking about you would not loose any garden space as you could "farm" the berm with different crops.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:19 PM

I'm with some of the other guys in that you need to try to terrace it or at least put in some small retaining walls and lever each level off more flat to stop the water from running down hill so fast. You can also plant across the grade and hill up each row to act as a dam to stop the water. I would also cut a ditch across the top of the garden to help divert the water around the garden instead of thru it. That's just my thoughts on it, hope it might help/

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:09 PM

I have built a small terrace through the garden that I can plant. I have corn over one end of it now. I guess we'll wait and see if it works. The problem is we don't get rain anymore, besides the rain the other day which was less then a 1/4" so it doesn't even count.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you