16 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:44 PM

I've got a lead on a MF14 with a locked up engine.  I was wondering what some of the weak points would be.  Isn't the K341 one with the "grenade gears"?  What about the drive shaft?  Is it a weak point like on the 1655s and 1855s?  Are the hubs splined or keyed?  Is a 3 point hitch and option?

Thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:05 PM

I'm no expert but things to look for ???

- sloppy steering from worn bushings

- safety switch on the brake pedal

- ignition switch

- muffler

- broken/missing Hydro cooling fan

- loose parts from vibration

these are the trouble spots I've found

3 point is a desirable option

• HowardsMF155 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:11 PM

As far as I know , all the K Kohlers have those gears, but most people take them out when rebuilding. No troubles with the drive shaft on my MF14. 3 point is an option, none on mine. Front wheel bearings went on mine, not a big problem. 2 speed rear ends are good, no trouble with mine. Ignition switch went on mine, but that is some what common with any garden tractor. Charging system needed wire end replaced on mine, mostly little things with mine over the years. Had to replace the engine, but it was bad before I got it. Noel.
  • HowardsMF155 and Paulgo have said thanks

#4 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:23 PM

I'm no expert but things to look for ???

- sloppy steering from worn bushings

- safety switch on the brake pedal

- ignition switch

- muffler

- broken/missing Hydro cooling fan

- loose parts from vibration

these are the trouble spots I've found

3 point is a desirable option

As far as I know , all the K Kohlers have those gears, but most people take them out when rebuilding. No troubles with the drive shaft on my MF14. 3 point is an option, none on mine. Front wheel bearings went on mine, not a big problem. 2 speed rear ends are good, no trouble with mine. Ignition switch went on mine, but that is some what common with any garden tractor. Charging system needed wire end replaced on mine, mostly little things with mine over the years. Had to replace the engine, but it was bad before I got it. Noel.

In addition the axle seals out on the end by the hub. I have not had any problems with the drive shafts on my 2 running 14's, I have another 14 in the works that did not come with an engine or drive shaft. I was able to pick up a good drive shaft off of ebay.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:34 AM

In general I find looking at the condition of the front axle/wheel bearings, steering linkage etc is a good quick indicator of how many hours are on a tractor and how well it has been maintained. There is a huge difference between a well maintained lightly used tractor and a well worn, poorly maintained one. I always seem to end up with the poorly maintained ones. Just rebuilding the front end with all the tie rod ends, wheel bearings, bushings, steering gear parts, spindles etc can add up to a lot of money. If the electrical system looks like a rats nest then that can end up costing you a fair amount as well. Good luck with it. I always take a small floor jack with me so I can jack up the front end to examine the condition of the front end.

• HowardsMF155 and Oldford have said thanks

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I took a short road trip today to look at the tractor in question and make a final offer based on what I found.  The engine does appear to be locked up, I'm hoping it is the engine and not the hydro.  The engine oil was quite black, but was full.  The transmission oil barely showed on the dipstick.  The front wheels will need new bearings, but the spindles and steeering were tight.  No three point hitch (which I was not expecting) but does have a hydaulic lift cylinder for the deck.  Paint is in pretty good shape, and the decals are very nice.  Rust and or dirt on the footboards, and the rest of the tractor needs a bath.  The engine exhaust is present, but attachment points are broken and poorly re-welded.

GE snow 068.JPG GE snow 069.JPG GE snow 073.JPG GE snow 080.JPG GE snow 081.JPG GE snow 077.JPG

• DMAX, IamSherwood, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 03:49 PM

Looks like it's being unloaded in your yard.

Does that mean, offer accepted?

It looks in fairly good, straight condition. Maybe you'll get lucky, and

find a rats nest behind the flywheel, that would make the engine seem

locked up.

? why is the gas tank strap off. Hopefully it's not a leak issue.

You'll love it, once you get it going.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Looks OK a good start, has the foot rest extensions on it, must be a late model tractor. Exhaust needs some TLC.

Pull the head off of it and see what it looks like in there. Does the engine turn at all, forward or backward by hand?

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I suppose I wasn't clear earlier.  Yes, I made an offer that was accepted and brought the tractor home.  He told me what he wanted ($700 with a locked up engine) and I told him what I was comfortable with.  He lowered his price, but not to what I offerred.  I decided to go and look and see what was what.  I pointed out all the issues I could see, then repeated my first offer which he then accepted.  He wasn't ever going to fix it and wanted the space more than the extra money.  So I'll fix up and paint my "dump Massey" and get it out of the shed to make way for this one.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Looks OK a good start, has the foot rest extensions on it, must be a late model tractor. Exhaust needs some TLC.

Pull the head off of it and see what it looks like in there. Does the engine turn at all, forward or backward by hand?

Doug, it is difficult to get to the shafts to try to turn anything.  Since I was bargaining with the engine being useless, I did not want to really investigate much of anything to do with turning the engine.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Just for the heck of it , what is the serial number. I have a 14, with extensions,  just wondering how close in numbers they are.  Noel

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 08:15 PM

I'll try to get it for you.

• propane1 said thank you

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 09:11 PM

Just an update, I pulled the 14 into my shed after pulling the deck off.  Spent an hour or less pulling off the hood, which will need some repair work where the front tin is broken, and front grill so I could get a better look at the engine.  I put a wrench on the PTO bolt and applied some pressure.  The shaft moved, and I could hear a scraping sound from the region of the blower housing.  Sounds almost like something got sucked into the fan - which has no screen - and is now binding against the fan and housing.  So I'll pull the engine in order to get to the housing.  When it goes back together, I'll make sure I put a screen on there.

• olcowhand, coldone and propane1 have said thanks

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 07:18 PM

When I got home tonight, I looked at the engine and decided there was enough room to detach the fan housing and move it back enough to peek inside, so I did.  Unfortunately, there really wasn't much to be seen.

So I decided to pull the head and take a look.  The bad news was revealed pretty quickly when I rotated the shaft and the piston did not move, so it appears the connecting rod has broken.  So, next move is to pull the engine and tear it down, then inspect and rebuild/replace as needed. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Could be the piston split in half at the oil ring groove. Bottom half moving , but not the top half. Happened to me once, but still have to take the engine apart.

Noel