#46 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:59 AM

The more I think about your algae I think my son said he had to cut his filters open and see if they were black. As long as they were he had to use the additive. If your filters are not discolored I would suspect that your problem lies somewhere else.  Like skyrydr2 said it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. 

• Alc and laurarg3 have said thanks

#47 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:54 PM

The more I think about your algae I think my son said he had to cut his filters open and see if they were black. As long as they were he had to use the additive. If your filters are not discolored I would suspect that your problem lies somewhere else.  Like skyrydr2 said it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. 

Both filters were replaced so I doubt it's them, but who knows. I plan to drain tank and do a thorough cleaning and replace the lines.

• Cvans said thank you

#48 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:33 AM

So, guess I need to update.

Stupid tractor has been putting up a fight all summer, I have had no time to work on it. One of our trustees said he mowed with it last week, it kept trying to stall and bog down on him. I had to cut last night so figured I would look at it.

First off, tank was almost bone dry, I can see why he was having so much problems on the steep inclines, fuel was going to other side of tank. Anyway, I was able to unscrew the plastic fitting out of the tank, it had a long plastic pickup tube on the tank side. I clean both ends and tried to blow through it....I thought for a second there must be a check valve in it, about blew my ear drums out.

Took a piece of weed eater string that was on the bench, ran it up through the tube, then blew through it. not sure what it was, but something hit the bench with a loud "thunk". Still clogged so did it again, aahhaaa !!!  now I can blow through it easily. :rocker2:  Replaced it, bled the line, then fired it up. Ran rough for a bit until I bled lines again. I cut grass for almost and hour and half, never once tried to stall. Bogged down in some heavy grass, but kept going, even on the steep inclines I was cutting.

So I think I licked this problem, had a major clog in the pickup tube inside tank. Glad I found it, saved us probably a few hundred dollars not getting it service by a shop.   :dancingbanana:

I even fixed our JD LT133 last night too. Fuel pump had quit working. Remove it and took it apart, as I separated the halves,small cylinder looking check valve fell out. It's supposed to be seated inside plastic housing. I guess it worked lose and thus FP lost the vacuum to pull gas.

Got both fixed in one night!!! :firejumper:

• olcowhand, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#49 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Good to hear you got the mowers going. :thumbs: 

Be fun to know what was plugging the pickup tube. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#50 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Good deal Marty!  Glad it was easy enough.  I thought it would be a crack in the pickup tube, but I was in the right spot anyway.  :smilewink:

• TAHOE said thank you

#51 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 12:03 PM

Good to hear you got the mowers going. :thumbs:

Be fun to know what was plugging the pickup tube. 

yea, I wasn't expecting it to blow out like that. I heard it hit a plastic tool box on the work bench, but not sure what it was, would've like to known myself.

The JD FP was like a newer style off the old small block Chevys, just plastic.

Daniel after trying to blow through it the first time, I was surprised it ran like it did, almost completely plugged.

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#52 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:44 AM

So, getting ready to winterize the 'Hopper after leaf cleanup, any recommendations to a good diesel stabilizer?

I'm not fighting with this again in the spring :D

#53 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:53 AM

I'm not fighting with this again in the spring  :D

Diesel doesn't degrade nearly as fast as gasoline. Personally I don't add anything to my fuel for storage and have had no problems at all. Most of mine don't set for more than 4 months at a time though. 

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#54 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement.

Make sure you run it long enough to get it all the way through the fuel system.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#55 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Diesel doesn't degrade nearly as fast as gasoline. Personally I don't add anything to my fuel for storage and have had no problems at all. Most of mine don't set for more than 4 months at a time though. 

I heard it can grow algae in it, my pickup tube was clogged up with something so just wanted to make sure so I don't have problems again next spring.

Once we do final cut/leaf cleanup here in the next few week, it will sit until probably late March when my butt goes out to get it ready for cutting.

#56 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:29 AM

I heard it can grow algae in it, 

Bio-diesel is noted for that. Never heard of the algae problem until they put that stuff on the market.

• TAHOE said thank you