• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:42 PM

Marty, check all fuel line connections to make sure nothing is letting a little air sucked in. I had this problem on one of my 332 JD's last year.

• TAHOE and georgepf11 have said thanks

#32 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Okay, update on our Grasshopper.

It runs great 99% of the time, it still will stumble and instantly lose rpms, but then jumps right back up. It's only like a 2-3 sec thing and happens irregularly. I have only ridden it once since I did the work, it still had old fuel so I figured what I experienced was due to that cycling through.

One of the other users told me it still stumbles sometimes, he has tried to look at guages when it does and said almost everytime the temp gauge is close to the red, but then it drops immediately and runs fine.

Could a sticky thermostat cause temp to rise to the point it would maybe create some type of vapor lock ( is that possible with deisel?) or make the engine stumble?

#33 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Could a sticky thermostat cause temp to rise to the point it would maybe create some type of vapor lock ( is that possible with deisel?) or make the engine stumble?

Yes a sticking thermostat can make your temperatures fluctuate wildly. As far as I know a vapor lock in a diesel is pretty rare. Make certain the radiator is completely clean. Shine a light through it. You might be surprised at what you see.

Does your mower have a lift pump. If so it might not be working properly. 

Your very close to having cured all the problems. Good luck.

#34 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:35 AM

We have a removeable screen in front of the rad, it has to be cleaned after every cutting or it gets clogged and temps do run on warm side, but have never over heated. I would figure though if rad is clogged too, it would cause constant over heating which this not the case, just gets up to red, motor dies soem/stumbles, then temp drops to normal when thermo opens.

I will most likely be using Thursday night, I can get first hand of what it does.

Not sure if it has a lift pump. From what I remember, fuel line goes into filter head, then over to a "fuel" pump then into injectors. I'll take pics tomorrow of the setup.

#35 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:48 AM

I would change the thermostat.  And as far as the stumbling/dying, it could be this unit has a safety interlock system that shuts things down whenever temps get too high, oil pressure gets low, etc.  The thermostat could be fine & it's just a temp sender unit faulty.  It won't have a temp safety interlock if it's a mechanical temp gauge, but if it's an electric unit, then it could have a protective system.  I know my John Deere F935 has some sort of low oil/low oil pressure protective system in it, as it shut it down on me on a side embankment a few weeks ago.  Topped off the oil & all was normal.  When it happened to me, she started stumbling so bad it would barely idle, then died completely.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#36 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Do you have an air compressor in the church garage? I find mowing my 8 acres, (ESPECIALLY WHEN Dandelions are blooming).
I need to blow my radiator out and clean the screen when I come in for lunch. It will be totally loaded up.
Iran it so low on fuel it was stumbling and losing rpm. It took almost 5 minuutes for it to run right agin??

#37 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 09:03 AM

Do you have an air compressor in the church garage? I find mowing my 8 acres, (ESPECIALLY WHEN Dandelions are blooming).
I need to blow my radiator out and clean the screen when I come in for lunch. It will be totally loaded up.
Iran it so low on fuel it was stumbling and losing rpm. It took almost 5 minuutes for it to run right agin??

Nope, no air compressor in the barn.....I do use the 200 mph back pack blower though to clean the screen! :smilewink:

I stress to all the user not to let it run low on fuel, this thing is as pain to get bled.

Edited by TAHOE, June 04, 2015 - 09:04 AM.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#38 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:45 AM

Ok, so last night I cut grass for almost two hours, this thing has me bewildered. It ran good overall, but intermittingly and more puzzling, randomly, it would cut out/loss power. I can describe as running into a deep patch of grass, motor bogging down then picking back up.

I kept checking the temp gauge, never hit red and was at normal running temp most of the time. It did get close to red one time, the rad screen was clogged with grass. I cleaned that off, temps instantly dropped to normal. It will do this whether flat ground, hills, short grass, heavy grass....I dunno. It just acts like when you put motor under a heavy load and rpms drops a few 100 then back up.

I did notice while back in heavy grass by the pond, it seemed to be under powered for some reason, like it was bogged down all the time. A couple times it was losing power, wasn't sure if it was going to stall, even had to hit PTO button to kick deck off to keep it running. Then it ran fine after back to the normal occassional bogging.

I will add, I didn't use this the last 4-5 cuts of the season last year, it got put away "wet" I did not winterize. Barely got ti started this srping, ran horrible. I knew it had water in gas, I could see rust on the gas cap/fuel gauge that was not coated with fuel. So, once I changed filters, bled lines, new fuel, additive/cleaner, etc I figured it would run fine. We have ran probably 4-5 tanks ( 4gals per fil) of fuel through it so far so I would figure all water would be gone.

Could I still have a small air leak that's sucking while I am cutting?

Maybe the new cartridge filter is restricting somehow?

#39 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Here is the fuel pump or lift pump assembly.
Also a pic of some solenoid connected to the throttle plate, what is that for?
20150604_170239.jpg
20150604_192053.jpg

#40 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Looking at pictures, maybe that back hose going into filter head that is crimped slightly, cutting off when its warm or collapsing shutting off fuel? Been like that since we bought it 2 yrs ago though.

Edited by TAHOE, June 05, 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#41 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:45 PM

I would replace that fuel line with a new piece that was longer so as not to kink.

• olcowhand and TAHOE have said thanks

#42 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:24 PM

I would replace that fuel line with a new piece that was longer so as not to kink.

I agree on the fuel line.  The solenoid is the run/kill solenoid.

• Cvans and TAHOE have said thanks

#43 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:20 PM

I did a Google search, some people had similar issues. Almost all said it was either a clogged pickup line in the tank or algae type slime had built up in tank restricting fuel flow. Guess I need to drain tank and do a good cleaning and replace fuel lines.
I cut our field tonight for over and hour, ran good for a bit, then bogged, ran good, etc.

#44 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:43 PM

I think there is an additive that you can ad to the fuel that will remove that algae. My Son purchased a pickup with this problem and he had to run that product in that truck for quite a while before things straightened out. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#45 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Marty, you have a fuel delivery issue , this is also causing your irratic temp issues, definitely make sure the fuel is flowing good, these little "boties are very VERY fuel sensitive!  I installed an electric fuel pump on mine, and it has been a monster ever since (in a good way , powerful and crazy reliable, starts every time and runs like a swiss watch)

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks