• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 12:03 AM

is there any chance mice may have gotten into the wiring? if it sat all winter theres a good chance mice may have found themselves wires to snack on and build a cozy home somewhere!

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#17 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 04:25 AM

Do your self a favor.
Get it out of that cold storage space.
And, into someplace warm for a day or two.
Then try again!

Joe

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:25 AM

Keep the glow plugs on until the tractor is running.

I would have to bypass switch somehow to do that. Turn switch foward for preheat, then turn backwards to start.

is there any chance mice may have gotten into the wiring? if it sat all winter theres a good chance mice may have found themselves wires to snack on and build a cozy home somewhere!

Slight possibility, but I put enough "food" out before winter, shouldn't be any still kicking in there. I did not notice any droppings, strands of straw/grass or any obvious signs.

We had that issue back when we had our big Ferris, wouldn't start. I pull the ignition which was inside some type of box.....large next in there and had chewed a couple wires. That's why I "feed" them each fall.

So, consensus is NEED HEAT. It usually starts right off during summer use. I will put battery on charge and maybe try Friday or Saturday, supposed to be in 60's this weekend. I wasn't preheating long enough either, only did that for 20-30 secs.

I don't think fuel is gelled, it's not that cold in there.

May have to put my torpedo heater in there for a few hours and try to warm it up. No way we can get it out right now, it's a mud bog going in and out of the mower garage, sink just walking to get to it.

Thanks all.

• Alc and Rock farmer have said thanks

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:32 AM

I would have to bypass switch somehow to do that. Turn switch foward for preheat, then turn backwards to start.

I bet you could put a meter on the battery check voltage ,,, turn the glow plugs on and see if it draws the voltage down , wouldn't know if all where working only if  some are getting power

• Cvans and TAHOE have said thanks

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Use your watch to determine how long the glow plugs have been on. If your like me and your going to find out that they weren't on nearly as long as you thought. I found that by leaving the charger on I gained almost a volt and a half in the winter. Made a big difference in how hot the glow plugs got and how fast the engine turned over.

Lots of good advice given and I for one am glad no one suggest starting fluid. 

• TAHOE and propane1 have said thanks

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:59 AM

DEFINITELY NEVER use starting fluid!  Could grenade the engine.  Likely needs more glow time, that is if they are working at all.  

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:41 AM

I'd also consider filling the tank with fresh fuel each year before winter. With only 1/4 tank you will get more condensation in there during the winter. I always treat my fuel and add a small bit of de icer as well because my tractor may sit for long periods in the winter without being used. It may also be time to change out the fuel filter. I change mine regularly and haven't had any fuel troubles in 8 years.

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 11:32 AM

I normally winterize the church tractors in Nov or so, chargers, gas stabilizers, etc just to much going on this year and got away from me.

I have changed the oil/filter, but never messed with fuel and not sure when or if it has been done, tractor has 1200 or so hours.

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 11:38 AM

In the case of a community mower it wouldn't surprise me if it never has been change. Most people want to believe that someone else has done it. 

Take a paint pencil and mark on the filters the date and hours showing on the meter when they were last changed. Helps to eliminate problems down the road. 

• propane1 said thank you

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 02:06 PM

In the case of a community mower it wouldn't surprise me if it never has been change. Most people want to believe that someone else has done it. 

Take a paint pencil and mark on the filters the date and hours showing on the meter when they were last changed. Helps to eliminate problems down the road. 

I do mark my filters, etc when I change them on the church equipment, even some of mine. We traded our big Ferris IS5000 for this one the fall of 2013, no idea what the PO did to it.

I've only serviced it basically just last year.  

• Cvans said thank you

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Good news. Put battery on charge for 24 hrs, use my stop watch on the phone to heat glow plugs for 1 min and she fired right off after 3rd or 4th spin. I noticed glow plugs never dropped below 12 volts, last time they hoovered around 10-10.5 so weak battery was 1 issue.
I let it run for about 5 mins and it would cut out occassionally then go back to running normal, like pulling a plug wire off a gas engine. I am thinking I have water in the fuel, gonna get 2 new fuel filters, a treament/cleaner, and fresh fuel.

Are the regular gas type plastic in line filter okay with diesel? This one had a super large one coming from the tank to the fuel pump, then it has a what I think is a water separator with another cartridge type filter in it( below). Figure I might as well change both.

Stupid phone spun pic sideways

:wallbanging:

post-24522-0-94356000-1426264198.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150312_181453.jpg

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, April 04, 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 11:43 AM

The WIX number for the little cartridge inside the water separator is 33263.  The inline needs to be as big as possible, but a smaller one will work.

• TAHOE said thank you

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Just happened to do a parts search for all the filters I needed, found a local Kubota dealer not too far away, got all my filters just as cheap as ordering and having them shipped, I was surprised.

Anyway, changed both fuel filters, air filter, and filled up with fresh diesel and added some cleaner/dryer type diesel additive to tank. After some prolonged cranking with fuel bleeders open, she finally fired. I had to keep bleeding at the filter head and bleeder on injector block. She would run then die. Bleed, run then die. Finally got it to run for a prolonged time, but it seemed it still will stumble occasionally and/or die. Fire back up, bleed filter head and let it run more. I guess I let it run for 35-45 mins overall, varying rpms,  but still worried about that stalling. It would run 10 mins then stumble and either catch itself or sometimes die. I am thinking there is still a little air in the line or maybe cycling some water still in tank. It was a swamp outside out barn so couldn't take it out for a run, plan to do that when it dries up a bit before we have to cut, supposed to rain 4 days again this week.  :wallbanging:

I have to say though, when she is at full idle, it's running the smoothest since we got it a year and half ago. Revs instantly and idles smoother, it needed this cleaning and filters. 

• Alc, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Glad to hear your making progress

#30 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:16 PM

If it continues to stumble, you might check the fuel suction tube inside the tank.  I've found them before to have broken down & split, sucking air.