#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Ok, I have basically ZERO diesel experience. I have a 2004 Grasshopper Zero turn with a Kubota D722-E that I need to get started. It ran fine the last time it was used, probably in Oct, not sure the last person at church to use it. I have tried a couple times to start it over the winter, but no go. The glow plugs indicator shows the are pre-warming, but it just turns over and won't fire. 

I have no idea where to go.

Can I check glow plugs to see if they are working properly? 

Should I got to the fuel system and fiddle with it?

As I stated, don't know how to work on these. I know they are high compression with glow plugs to fire, that's about it. 

Here's a video, probably won't help, but....

• laurarg3 and georgepf11 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:10 PM

1. Battery charger.

2. Heat. (light bulb, knipco, magnetic heater, duct tape small furry animals to block, etc)

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:13 PM

The way its smokeing I say its getting fuel if battery is low you might not be getting full voltage to the glow plugs I would try a charger on boost then try to start. And might need to open fuel  bleeder.

• TAHOE said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Either a weak battery if nobody has messed with it or the fuel system might need bled as has been said.  A diesel needs a good strong battery to be able to start, especially in cold weather.  If you are sure that nobody messed with it over the winter, then the fuel system should be fine unless there is a leak somewhere.  I don't imagine it would take much of a leak.  You just can't get air in that fuel system.

I would add that the colder it is, the longer you have to glow.  Not sure how cold it is where you are but I would hook up some jumper cables and glow it for 30 to 45 seconds and give it a whirl.

Edited by David Brown, March 10, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:20 PM

I don't know much either, but if setting long time, maybe a Bleeding of the fuel system? Some have little valves for that, others need to loosen fittings.

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Glow plugs for at least 45 seconds, let sit for 15 seconds, give them another 30 seconds heating, then try.

• TAHOE said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:24 PM

I can bet no one has touched it, only 1 other guy in there over winter to get the snow blower out and he didn't have to move the GH. 

It has a new battery, but No charger since it was parked. I will throw one on and let it trickle for a few days. It normally starts pretty quick so that's what had me puzzled. I thought maybe the cold too. It still has 1/4 of fuel and no leaks, system looks tight, no visible air in bowls. Once I can get it started I will drain the water separator, I know it's not been touched since we've owned the last  year and a half. 

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:27 PM

What's the temp when you tried and when was it last fueled? It it's really cold, and you have summer blend fuel in there, it may have ice in the lines.

Solution:

More HEAT.

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#9 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:27 PM

White smoke is unburnt or partialy burnt diesel fuel.  So we have fuel.  Next is making sure you are getting 12volts to the glow plugs.  You can check this with a voltmeter at each plug.  You will need a long glow cycle, like others said, 30-45 seconds with a good healthy battery.  A jump pack or charger with boost will help.  The cranking speed doesnt sound to bad, my bet is on low power to the glow plugs or the plugs themselves are weak.  It wont be ice from summer blend fuel.  It will be wax from fuel gelling.  Pick up some Diesel911 or atleast some Power Services in the white bottle and dump it in the fuel.  If the filter is waxed up, it will need to be trashed and a new one installed.  Diesels need good batteries, good glow plugs or preheat systems and winterized fuel.  DO NOT use ether with a glow plug equipted engine.  Or any diesel for that matter, quick route to more expensive repairs.  Mike

Edited by mtoney, March 10, 2015 - 08:30 PM.

• limebuzz, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:44 PM

As others have said your getting fuel but it's not firing.

You need heat, what ever you can do to warm up the motor will help.

I think maybe the glow plugs are not working, not getting any voltage to them.

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Only thing I know about diesels is they seem to have more problems with water in the fuel than gasoline engines. Maybe water or iced up. If iced or gelled up injectors won't spray right and maybe mixture is bad. Noel

Let us know what happens. I don't have a diesel, but someday I might.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#12 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:02 PM

My kubota smokes sooty black when started without enough glow plug time. Much darker than the smoke in the video.   Keep the glow plugs on until the tractor is running.

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:24 PM

I think it needs to spin faster.

#14 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 10:16 PM

I've messed around with a couple old Kubotas like that.  Kubotas are very cold natured.  They like to be toasty warm to start.  Glow and glow and glow and glow.  I have/had a Kubota B6300 that you have to glow for nearly 60 seconds winter or summer if it hadn't run recently. 

Ben W.

• propane1 said thank you

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 10:28 PM

A minute and a half on the glow plugs in the winter is not too much. Put your battery charger on the normal charge setting and leave it on while running the glow plugs and turning the engine over. It can make a big difference. I've done this many times on my Kubota with good results. 

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks