• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 04:58 PM

I'm in need of a new garden tractor.  Spent the day in town looking, narrowed it down to 2 so far.  Both these have been talked about before I'm sure but my search abilities stink.  What's y'alls take on/between these 2 models?  Both are close in price with my discount, both are currently offering zero percent interest.  The JD looks a little more appealing as it will hold resale value better than the K.  The price is for a loader and 3-point roto tiller, both of which I need.  Both diesel, cat 1 3-point.

John Deere: 1025R, 24 horsies.

Kubota: BX2370TV60-1, 23 horsies.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I compared both, and the price to get the JD 2032R or the Bota B2620 is not much more for the fact you get more tractor for the buck. The big thing is to pick the one that fits you and your operating style best, because they are both good machines. After comparing both and my usage requirement I opted to buy an old Farmall 140 and IH 1000 loader.
  • Alc, tinbender7, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I would recommend the Kubota over the JD, if you were getting a MMM, to avoid the RIO. Since you're not getting a mid-pto operated attachment, I say it's a toss-up. I would say it's down to how it feels in the operator's station for you, and which dealer has a better reputation.

Are you going with a brand-specific tiller in each package, or an aftermarket one in either case?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casey is annoying.

• tinbender7 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#4 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Going for JD for JD, Bueller (I think) with the Kubota.  Truth be told, I liked the K a tiny bit better, the Kubota dealer is Acme Tool Crib of the North which has a LOT of my $$.  They have a seperate store from the tool store and only deal in large equipment.  There are several Kubota dealerships/mechanics in town compared to one expensive JD dealership.  Acme also carries Woods tillers/equipment also if that is a better tiller.  Will eventually be getting a 60 inch deck for mowing if my main mower dies.  Kinda talking myself into the sorta orange one, atleast it would look better sitting next to all my allis chalmers tractors.. LOL  (none of which have 3-point or loaders) 

• wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7 and Cvans have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 05:59 PM

I went down that road when I bought my last motorcycle.  It was a dead heat between two bikes.  Drove myself nuts comparing specs, reading reviews, talking to owners, etc.  In the end it came down to one thing: one of them wouldn't fit in my shed.  

• Alc, tinbender7, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#6 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:02 PM

It's a even match up. If orange looks best on u go with the Kubota.
  • tinbender7, Cvans and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#7 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I went down that road when I bought my last motorcycle.  It was a dead heat between two bikes.  Drove myself nuts comparing specs, reading reviews, talking to owners, etc.  In the end it came down to one thing: one of them wouldn't fit in my shed.  

I hear ya!  Either one will fit in my small barn, no problem there.  As far as the bikes... there was no choice for me.  Harley all the way!  Hard thing is, I can only get one, and I looked at the new HD Road Glide today, damn near rode it home, but, remembered I went to town for a new tractor... oh the decisions... makes me head hurt.  After getting home and talking it out with the wife, I think I made the right choice, the HD is still sitting there waiting for someone else to pick it up.  AND, I'm not sleeping on the couch tonight.

• wvbuzzmaster and tinbender7 have said thanks

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:06 PM

It's a even match up. If orange looks best on u go with the Kubota.

The JD one looked like it was.. well... plastic, the Kubota looked more rugged... I think this might be an easy decision, thanks y'all, I just needed a sounding board.  And your right, orange does look awesome!  Weed green, ehh, not so much.

• wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:43 PM

I would lean heavy to the Bota as well.

• tinbender7, Cvans, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Its funny I just ended up with a Kubota about a month ago. BX 2370-1 I too tossed the idea of which one to buy. Massey or Kubota. My decission was based more on this. I have a Massey GC 2300 and had a Kubota BX 2350 that I used both for 2 seasons. I sold the Kubota late last summer and kept the Massey. and will be putting it up for sale this summer once I get the Kubota set up the way I want it to be. Anyway having both tractors in the yard for the last 2 yrs what I found was that I was jumping more and more onto the Kubota. I just found it easier to use and liked how the controls etc; worked . So made the decission last year to end up with a new Kubota this spring and sell the Massey. The massey was/is a good tractor but I just seemed to enjoy the Kubota more.

• Alc, tinbender7 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#11 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 07:51 PM

As usual, lots of great guidance, thanks y'all!  I think the Kubota is going to be the winner.

• Alc, tinbender7 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#12 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I have 2 John Deere's and the hoods on both of them are cracked. One is a 2005 and the other a 2013. Both run great and cut excellent.

Edited by cootertom, March 10, 2015 - 09:11 PM.

• truck21, tinbender7, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:59 PM

To be brutally honest, they are all overpriced these days. I was really torn between Bota and JD, because I liked the JD better on some of the controls and construction, but the Bota was more what I was needing. Price wise I was at the JD 2032R and the 3030R was 100 bucks cheaper, more tractor again, but I don't have the room for more tractor. The one thing I liked about the 2320, 2620,and 2920 Kubota was that all three were the exact same tractor, different engines, more maneuverable, and the dealer was leaning me toward the 2320 which is cheapest (but I wasn't mowing), I would have gone 2620, but again, my needs did not scream $20,000 tractor lol.
  • tinbender7 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 04:50 AM

I assume that Deere and Kubota are the only two dealerships in your area which is why you are going between the two?  I ask because there are many other manufacturers of these tractors to consider and perhaps muddy the waters if you will.  Mahindra, Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet, New Holland, Kioti just to name a few.  I went into mine firmly wanting the Deere but I decided to shop around a bit because, let's face it, you're dropping a lot of money here, may as well be fair about it.  It's a tough choice because all are about the same in price for the base unit.  It came down to little things with me.  I didn't like the plastic hood on the Deere, didn't like the pedal on the Kubota, etc.  The Mahindra was a nice unit but it was more money and even the dealer said he didn't know how they would be in the long run.  My local Deere and Kubota dealers didn't care if I was there or not.  The Deere dealer didn't even take the time to go over the tractor with me AFTER I hunted him down to ask about one.  That's here though, not where you are.  The New Holland dealer was never open at the times when I could be there and I really wanted to look at that one.  I decided on the Massey.  The model I got (GC1705) was the only one of the bunch where the engine didn't have to rev beyond 3000 RPM to achieve maximum horse power.  That should save on my engine in the long run and it sure is saving fuel now.  My dealer is a super busy guy but he took the time with me to explain everything about the tractor.  I don't tell you this to try and get you to buy the Massey.  When it comes right down to it, when the sheet metal comes off, they are all basically the same.  I just encourage you to look at others and really do a good comparison before you buy.  A friend of mine did a hard comparison and got the Deere.  Of course, he grew up on a farm that used Deere equipment so I think that may have swayed him a bit.  All are good units.  It just comes down to what you prefer.  Good luck.

• massey driver, Alc, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I assume that Deere and Kubota are the only two dealerships in your area which is why you are going between the two?  I ask because there are many other manufacturers of these tractors to consider and perhaps muddy the waters if you will.  Mahindra, Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet, New Holland, Kioti just to name a few.  I went into mine firmly wanting the Deere but I decided to shop around a bit because, let's face it, you're dropping a lot of money here, may as well be fair about it.  It's a tough choice because all are about the same in price for the base unit.  It came down to little things with me.  I didn't like the plastic hood on the Deere, didn't like the pedal on the Kubota, etc.  The Mahindra was a nice unit but it was more money and even the dealer said he didn't know how they would be in the long run.  My local Deere and Kubota dealers didn't care if I was there or not.  The Deere dealer didn't even take the time to go over the tractor with me AFTER I hunted him down to ask about one.  That's here though, not where you are.  The New Holland dealer was never open at the times when I could be there and I really wanted to look at that one.  I decided on the Massey.  The model I got (GC1705) was the only one of the bunch where the engine didn't have to rev beyond 3000 RPM to achieve maximum horse power.  That should save on my engine in the long run and it sure is saving fuel now.  My dealer is a super busy guy but he took the time with me to explain everything about the tractor.  I don't tell you this to try and get you to buy the Massey.  When it comes right down to it, when the sheet metal comes off, they are all basically the same.  I just encourage you to look at others and really do a good comparison before you buy.  A friend of mine did a hard comparison and got the Deere.  Of course, he grew up on a farm that used Deere equipment so I think that may have swayed him a bit.  All are good units.  It just comes down to what you prefer.  Good luck.

If I was buying again I would look other directions beside green or orange.

• Cvans said thank you