• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 01:24 PM

Are the Briney lift rods still available for my tube frame.??

I'm making my own hitch and all is going well there.. But the diagram is a bit confusing on the lift rod..

Is the part of the rod that attatches to the hitch upright,,, just a free floating sleeve,,, with cotter-pin adjustments.??? The Briney instruction manual,, It looks more like a threaded rod on the tractor side with a nut..Just in front of the up-right...

I might be better off just buying one if available...

Would someone be able to show me a pic of one to get a better idea of what they look like..?? ( Thanks ) I have the prints to make one but they are a little vague in the pics...Attached File  3825-Brinly sleeve hitch parts list and instruction manual.pdf   289.06KB   33 downloads
  • MyBolens1053 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 01:47 PM

The instructions for building the sleeve hitch has very good instrucions for building the lift rod.  There are no nuts or threads on it.  A sleeve is welded overe the rod in the correct position and a few holes drilled in the attachment end for adjustment.  They are no longer available unless you can find a used one some place.  I made my lift rod in less than an hour.  Good luck.

• boyscout862, sodisr, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Hi I posted a picture of mine. Is this what you were wondering about?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC06552.JPG
  • DSC06715.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi, sodisr, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Thanks  Cheiffan and  Husky...

I bought the  5/8 rod  and the only pipe I could get over it was   3/4 "   It seems like it would be a  very sloppy fit..  I a'm wondering if I could ream out a 1/2' iron pipe to be a bit tighter,,especially on the welded piece... I don't want to take away to much of it's strength thou. Is there other pipe I should be using.???

Thanks    sodi

#5 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Thanks  Cheiffan and  Husky...

I bought the  5/8 rod  and the only pipe I could get over it was   3/4 "   It seems like it would be a  very sloppy fit..  I a'm wondering if I could ream out a 1/2' iron pipe to be a bit tighter,,especially on the welded piece... I don't want to take away to much of it's strength thou. Is there other pipe I should be using.???

Anybody...?????                                                       Thanks    sodi

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:13 AM

On Ryan's sleeve hitch on his Massey, (I know this is the Bolens forums, but I just can't help myself) we used a high pressure hydraulic line piece from a friend. It had walls about 1/2" thick.
We did have to drill it thru to get the sleeve hitch pin in, but it won't ever get pulled open.
  • sodisr said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Most pipe, especially if cut with a pipe cutter has a ridge on the inside that needs to be removed.  I used standard gas pipe on mine and it fit nice and snug.  Had to use a round file on the inside of the pipe a few times to get that ridge cut out.

• sodisr said thank you