Need to hook up a box scraper

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 greenb69 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 65681
  • 255 Thanks
  • 203 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Brinly makes good implements but the last box blade I got from them was short on quality. If you get one plan on modifying it before use. Agreeing with Leonard.

#17 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • Member No: 62328
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Thanks to everyone for taking me from zero to sixty on this so easily.  I started using the plow blade just to get things useable on the drive, and will buy a sleeve hitch off of ebay.  The local steel shop wanted mega cash to build one . . .  

If I end up having to go with a new Brinly box blade, what kind of modifications will i need to do to make it better?  

#18 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 226 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 05:56 PM

On the 42 inch blade they produce they have a sold steel rod welded to the blade mount. I would weld some added gussets in this space to help strengthen it. They use a soft pin to attach the angle handle to the blade pivot which can get bent out of alignment pretty easy. From what I have seen of the box blade I wouldn't attempt to use the scarifier teeth on anything harder the moderately packed material.

#19 tuner em OFFLINE  

tuner em
  • Member No: 52214
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 06:23 AM

I know the OP was for a tube frame but here's a picture of a sleeve hitch I made for a large frame.  I should have narrowed the rear section to provide more clearance for the tires even though they don't hit.  Also, the weight bracket on the plow is supposed to be installed on the lower bolts.  I think I'm going to use this alot.

#20 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • Member No: 62328
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:45 AM

Well, sorry for the late follow up, but I did order a sleeve hitch (Brinley) from a good guy on Craigslist, and it mounted up just fine.  I went to Northern Tool and plucked a Brinley 4 ft box blade off the shelf and put it together.  Mounted it on the sleeve hitch with no problems.  For the lift arm, I used the arm from my tiller, but added about 2 inches by drilling holes in a strap of 1/4" steel so it all fit up right and rests in float.  Put a 50 lbs weight on the tray and started dragging the driveway.  I am really amazed how well this works so far, and I am even more impressed (once again) with my Bolens 1220.

I bought the Bolens last year having never owned a tractor of any sort, and I was a new land owner with little cash - the Bolens 1220 was the cheapest thing I could find.  What a lucky purchase because this thing is a workhorse and I am absolutely hooked.  I have used the plow, the tiller, the snow caster and the generator, and now I am using the box blade - all with great results.  Wonder what other neat things I can do now that I have a sleeve hitch . . .

Thanks for all of your help - I'll try to get some pics up.

#21 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,362 Thanks
  • 8,697 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:31 AM

You have a gennie for the Bolens? Pics, please!