• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • Member No: 62328
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I've got a Bolens 1225 Tube Frame that is an absolute workhorse.  I have a plow blade, snow thrower, tiller and generator which all get used pretty hard.  I need to hook up a box scraper to maintain some pretty rough gravel driveway.  I see that I can get a box scraper from Northern or TSC that appears to hook up to a "slip hitch" I think they call it.  Does anyone know where I can find, or how I can make, a slip hitch so I can box scrape with my bolens?  I see how the tiller hooks up to the rear of the bolens, so I'm thinking it is not too extremely complex, but what do I know . . .  I'm not too familiar with garden tractors or implements - still new to the lifestyle, but boy am I in love with this bolens!

Thanks in advance

Dan

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:42 AM

You need a sleeve hitch for your tube frame.

image.jpg
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Do some research in our Manuals and Galleries Sections. Your plow can do some grading but it will be slow. One trick with a plow is to "backblade" to get a smooth finish. Backingup while dragging the blade will make the job look nicer. It is a lot of fun playing with the tractor and the different attachments. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone.  Any idea where I can purchase a sleeve hitch or is this something I am best having made?  Rick,  I appreciate the tips with the blade - I'm going to play around with it and see if I can do some emergency repairs on the drive using your advice.  When my wife's minivan couldn't get to the house, I realized I was gifted a perfect opportunity to justify my Bolens - If I can use it to maintain "her" long, uphill, wet gravel drive, I think she will finally love the Bolens too . . .think of the mileage I'll get out of it towards justifying other things . . . She's a skeptic for my new tractor affair so far.  Thanks again!

Dan

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 11:31 AM

I obtained a box blade a little over a year ago, best tool ever to maintain my gavel drive. My dad used to just buy a couple truckloads of gravel and spread it, I use the box blade instead and just now dig it up and re-grade.

I have to add some more teeth to my scrarifier and lower the mount so I can dig better before doing the grading, but it's a great tool for the drive. After this winter, I got some major work ahead to get drive back in decent shape.

#6 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 11:44 AM

That's great to hear that I am hunting in the right direction - now if I can just figure out how to hook up a box blade to my Bolens (Oh, and learn how to use it too) . . .

#7 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Having operated road graders and scrapers in the Army I'll point out something that makes a big difference in how your box blade and a regular blade will preform and that is what angle your blade is set at. If the bottom of the blade is more forward then the top it will cut into the material more. This is good for loosing up packed material or cutting down a high spot. If the top of the blade is ahead of the bottom then this creates a dragging action, good for filling in low spots with loose material. If the top and bottom are even then you get a rolling action with the material, good for pulling material for a distance. I've seen people just leave their blade at wherever it wound up when they mounted it without making any adjustments and they wonder why it doesn't preform like they want it to.

• Bruce Dorsi, Rock farmer and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the advice on the blade angle - it's good to know what I should be looking for long before I mess up this driveway any more than it already is.  Now I need to find a sleeve hitch and can't seem to find any on line.  I'll keep looking with fingers crossed!

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:12 PM

The plans to build a sleeve hitch yourself are running around here somewhere...............

Attached File  Bolens Sleeve Hitch.pdf   498.05KB   50 downloads

#10 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Thanks - I found this in my searching and I am not very confident I can build this, but maybe I can find a shop that can . . .  If not, and all else fails, I guess I will learn how to bend metal!

#11 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• Member No: 7014
  • 31 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:05 PM

I found this guy on CL, shows a couple sleeve hitches.

#12 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Macgyver!  I think that's just what I need.  If it works, I'll just need to decide on a box blade.  Any ones to avoid?

#13 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:57 PM

I believe the new Brinly built ones are a little more sturdy the the new Agrifab ones are, although I take notice neither one are built to the standards that the older ones were. I recently purchased a Brinly 42" sleeve hitch blade and while its good for general grading I wouldn't do any serious heavy blade work without some modifications to it.

#14 Covan 6 OFFLINE  

Covan 6
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 05:55 AM

Ok.  I'll first look for an older one around here.  How big is too big for a Bolens 1220?  I guess I am asking what size box blade is the right size?

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:02 AM

The width of your tractor is a nice size, to cover your tracks.