• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 12:32 PM

I had an old trailer that I built years ago and no longer needed it. I also had a Hyd. hoist from HF that is used to lift things into the back of a Pickup. I am toying with the idea of putting the two together to lift and move things that are larger than I want to lift, but stay under say 200 lbs. Here are some pics as I would like opinions of this. Remember this is only a concept. I understand I will have to beef things up to make it work.The main part on the now trailer was at one time an old rear engine rider. Also placement of the hoist, should it be above the axle or moved toward the front? Any and all feed back will be appreciated. Thanks.Trailer Frame (Small).jpg
Concept (Small).jpg KennyP

Attached Thumbnails

• Old Trailer (Small).jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 01:21 PM

That is a real neat idea.I'm going to gear up one and mount it to my 3pt hitch some day.

#3 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:40 PM

Kenny P...You Are definitely onto a Great Idea there, I like it a Lot...Keep us updated as you progress with it so I can steal the Idea ! ....I have a old Hoist too & would love to make one....Good Luck with the Plan.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thanks. I have this on another forum and am using any suggestions from either to make it work correctly. Pics will be available to those who chose to follow. I don't want to much tongue weight, yet don't want lift at the tongue. The tongue will be 1.5" pipe when all is said and done. Bracing will be added to the existing structure once location of the stand is finalized.

#5 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Only quick suggestion I have is possibly 2 Fold Down Legs with Flat Feet so the down pressure is on them directly to the ground & NOT the Tounge at all...just like a Backhoe has...then there would realy be No limit , except the power of the jack, to the weight you can lift... Just my 2 cents...

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:05 PM

DanO, good suggestion. Except I want to pick up and move said item. Can't do that with legs on the ground. I have another cherry picker that I have pulled and reinstalled small block Chevys in to engine bays using a GT. My son has it now. I have need to pull a K341 in the near future and I don't want to put that strain on my back. I will have to pull out of tractor and move to somewhere I can take it apart. I plan to stay UNDER 200lbs. with this even tho the lift is capable of more.

KennyP

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 04:54 AM

After thinking this over more, I came up with this. Of the trailer above I will use only the axle and mounting area of the deck. Using some 4"x3" angle iron going cross wise to weld axle mounts to at ends. Cut hole thru front angle for 1.5" pipe tongue to attach at rear angle. This will stiffen post mounting location and lower it. I plan to run the lift all the way up today to see how high it will lift. This will give me post height. I may need to put things into/out of a pickup. This may be a lot easier to make work.

KennyP

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Except I want to pick up and move said item. Can't do that with legs on the ground.

How about those fold down legs that are on pop-up campers, on our old pop-up the leg unfolded then you pushed down the extension foot , would lock in until released Trailer Jacks and Trailer Jack Replacement Parts for Boat Trailers, Campers, UtilityTrailers, and Horse Trailers - TruckSpring.com
or maybe just a swing down trailer jack with a flat foot ?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:32 AM

No matter how you mount or where you mount the cherry picker on the trailer there is going to be tongue weight transferred. The only way to eliminate the transfer to tongue weight is going to be counterbalancing the lift arm with a rear extension and being able to hang removable weights from it, even then it still won't be perfect but would alleviate some of the tongue weight.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:32 AM

I don't see any need for legs. Most things will be more like 100-125 lbs. If it wont lift that much without legs, it would be useless. Here is a sketch of the new idea, looking down on it.Hoist0001 (Small).jpg
KennyP

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 10:37 AM

That Hyd hoist can swing side ways right?
Carefull you don't tip it sideways.
As suggested, you might want to add some sort of outrigger setup, so you could
then swing you're load over onto a bench, once you've backed into the shop.
Or back your truck up to it if at 90 degrees.

Just a quick sketch.
Use tube and pins. The outrigger could be stored on deck
when not in use.

Posted Image

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Baseplate placement will depend on lift arm orientation. If the weight you're lifting is behind the axle at all, the net leverage will be lift on the tongue. You may be better to have a set of legs made up that allow you to release them when the weight is on (mental image: inverted jackstands) and a way to center the weight over the axle for transport (telescoping arm?)

Another option would be a longer tongue than lift arm, that way the mechanical advantage of the load is lessened and you will be less likely to lift or lighten the rear of the tractor.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:28 PM

I wont be using this trailer for this as the tires are shot and the wheels are rusted to the axle. If I do use this with a GT, I will NOT be swinging the boom to the side. If I had concrete to work on, I already have a base that has steel wheels on it. Since I only have grass, I need the flotation of tires. I may fab up something for my sleeve hitch to 2" receiver adapter just to pull the motor out of the LGT 165. My back is not strong enough to horse that engine around. Once that engine is repaired, then I can use the LGT for lifting duties. It weighs over 1000 lbs. with me on it and I can put over a hundred on the front if needed.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 04:37 PM

I haven't totally given up on a mobile lift as yet. Just can't use what I had. Toying with a rolling GT frame, with lift attached at the lower part of frame where a mower would sit. Then there would be room for supports out the sides. If a bed was put where the seat was, you could set object there while transporting.

KennyP

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Gin Pole Tractor..jpg Got it figured out folks. Introducing the Gin Pole Tractor. Add some ballast to the front and she'll git-r-dun!!!

KennyP