#16 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,210 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 07:42 PM

[quote name="wilberj" post="551980" timestamp="1425947314"]Stop send me nasty PMs then.
[/quote
???? Not I you are mistaken

Calm down its OK, I am just messing with you, don't be so uptight.   Would you like to join the Neuter the 'CAT' Club?

Edited by wilberj, March 09, 2015 - 07:43 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#17 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Calm down its OK, I am just messing with you, don't be so uptight. Would you like to join the Neuter the 'CAT' Club?

Maybe, I'm heading towards remembrance of youth anyways, uptight? Ah you know me not, calm , yes I do strive for serenity, peace, my days as a harbringer of ill towards others are behind me ( well mostly)

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, March 09, 2015 - 07:55 PM.

• wilberj and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#18 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Well as a seller on ebay with over 2600 positive feedbacks,this is the stuff that upsets me,guys complaining about the shipping cost,you know when you bid what the shipping is,you don't like or agree with it don't bid,or send a question about the shipping,ask to verify it,I think it's crap that ebay let's buyers leave poor ratings on shipping
  • DougT, LPBolens, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#19 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 09:54 PM

What about the sellers that get your money right away, thank-you for being a fast payer, then take 2 weeks to ship out?

• superaben said thank you

#20 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 957 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Thought this was the stuff from up Syracuse NY way that was on Ebay for awhile, not the case , guy selling some old family business inventory , ( if I remember right) anyways when contacted about prices ( where are you getting these from?) replied last price list 1992, now I whole heartily agree he will have some of his stuff for awhile at what he's asking, but I do know that a dealer near me who still has Bolens NOS parts, when asked about prices he goes right to his last pricing (again from 1992) and holy cow talk about sticker shock

Well you know ," if you can't say anything nice....."

1992 prices? That's cheap! You should try the 2001 price list!  :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#21 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Bolens, JD and Massey parts are always very expensive.

#22 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Well if you send payment right away and don't see it was shipped for a couple weeks then you have a right to say so,but remember check the tracking number to verify when it was shipped,lately will all the crazy weather shippments have been delayed,also make sure you check how the seller has shipping stated,I have mine at ships within 1 business day,ebay gives other choises
  • MH81 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#23 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 11:34 PM

I've bought a lot of stuff over the years from eBay, Newegg, Amazon and others.

It's been my experience that once the seller ships something, you are at the mercy of the shipper.

I've had things send that were sent 5-business day rate get to me the next day.  I just had a 2-day priority package that was sent on Monday a week ago, and it didn't arrive until FRIDAY.

In general, eBay sellers ship in a very timely manner.  However I've ordered from some that state that they will ship in 3-5 business days.  If you happen to order on a Friday, that may that it may not get shipped until the following Friday.  That's a full week, but still 5 business days. And then depending on how it's shipped, you may not get it for another week.

It always pays to pay attention to what the seller states and always assume that it's going to take the maximum amount of time to get to you.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 09, 2015 - 11:35 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, superaben and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#24 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:26 AM

So if that's the case, my non-running 1254 is worth over 3000+!   :bigrofl:

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:52 AM

I agree with Classic Bolens , if you take a look at the later 2000's dealer list prices while there were still a good amount of parts available  they were expensive! 

If you take that into consideration alot of the prices for the New parts are not too far off from retail. And if its an actual business/ dealer selling the parts they likely paid a decent chunk of change for the parts when they stocked them so what should they do? Take a loss or try and get their money back? When Garden way took over they spiked all the Bolens prices, some to insane amounts such as the OEM large frame ball joints which were selling upwards of $50each a couple years ago.

So If a dealer bought something for $30 from the factory why should they now sell it for $5? just saying......

I will agree there's plenty of overpriced parts on ebay especially the used stuff. And alot of overpriced new parts as well with the influx of people now selling new parts they found in a box or an old dealer ship, Since they have no established list/cost prices they can pull prices out of the air, some which are very fair some which are down right insane!

Being a buyer its your job to make an informed decision on who to buy from, read all feedback before buying and note shipping costs. Ebay is pretty much geared to demonize the seller now a days , and more a buyers world anyway. Heck sellers cant even leave a negative for an nonpaying buyer!

My experiences dealing with Bolens & parts dealers over the years.......

• wilberj, MH81, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks

#26 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Bolens, JD and Massey parts are always very expensive.

I've found that with a bit of looking/shopping around that Bolens parts aren't really all that expensive.

Shucks between three of our site sponsors, you can get pretty much any part you need for a Bolens at very reasonable prices.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#27 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 09:14 AM

I agree 100 %,I feel bad for an old dealer who is now selling another brand of tractor and has old stock still sitting around,he paid the dealer prices,some of which were high,what they supposed to do,between a rock and a hard place,most of the places I have found stuff have come to relies its just sitting there taking up space that they need for more new inventory,most have the stuff off there inventory list and have already wrote it off for tax purposes,still a hard pill to swallow for sure,also your right on another point,its bull that as a seller you can't leave negative feedback for non-paying biders,its a buyers market with them for sure

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, March 10, 2015 - 09:20 AM.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#28 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 957 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 12:25 PM

The grass is not always greener... I've been on both sides of the fence.

Some sample Bolens prices then and now:

1742625 Blade Shaft Assembly (common on all 80's and newer 42" - 54" mower decks) price in 2001 was $43.70 - current price is $169.73

1724029 Spindle Housing - 2001 was $38.23 - current price $87.13

1721409 Ignition Switch (common on the HT's) - 2001 was $31.68 - current is $67.00

It is pretty ridiculous. 

Lawn & garden equipment parts is a tough market. With more and more stuff showing up on ebay and other sites for less than dealer cost, it absolutely cuts into the equipment dealers profits. It's near impossible to sell a $100 part, when you can find 10 of the same item on ebay for $20.00. Authorized dealers are typically required to stock a certain amount of parts per their dealership terms. It varies in different markets. It can be as little as $500 - to literally thousands $$$. The manufacturer (bean counters) sets the suggested retail price, and it is up to the dealer to sell the product at the price their market will allow. Many simply cannot sustain selling at a loss, even on older inventory. They have to maintain "real" value in their inventory stock. Lone gone are the days of 40-50% discounts for dealers. Most are now 15-25%, so many have to mark up another 10-15% on parts to make anything over cost to cover real overhead costs... taxes, financing, utilities, insurance, mortgage etc. 

NLA NOS parts pricing can be tough to gauge - it becomes a supply vs demand issue. If the supply is very limited and demand is high, the price will reflect that. Most will just go to the last known suggested price.

When an individual can go to an auction or buy up old inventory for pennies on the dollar, anything made over that is an easy profit for most. Some of the stuff on ebay is priced way too high... but some others are too cheap (unless you're the buyer :D  ). 

When a part is still available new from the manufacturer and you have the exact same item, are you willing to sell it for less than you can replace it for?

Many eBay sellers, myself included, have to factor in eBay's ridiculous fees, PayPal fees and then shipping costs. If you sell something for Buy it now @ $3.00, offer free shipping and accept paypal - you'll make virtually nothing - unless you're selling in very large volumes.

Now, where is my time machine? I need to go back to the 80's and buy up tons of parts  :bigrofl:  

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted March 10, 2015 - 02:28 PM

That is pretty much today's L&G business in a  nutshell , well said!!! :thumbs:

The days of guys making big profits is over. We simply have been devastated by many of the online power houses that sell things at dealer cost and we cant compete with that!

Wisconsin just cut our discount by another 20% on parts..... :wallbanging:

Support your local/ Favorite online dealer and dont buy from the Chinese wholesalers!

-From a L&G dealer :D

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#30 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 05:16 PM

So if that's the case, my non-running 1254 is worth over 3000+!   :bigrofl:

Wow, then my non working 1254 in the UK got to be worth more than that! Great, flog the 1254 and buy a couple of Ride a Matics instead!