#16 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:43 AM

The only thing I could think of now is the voltage regulator is bad or grounding out. There is two relays in the regulator I think one or the other is stuck in the closed position and causing the short. Hope thi helps!

#17 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:02 AM

I also swaped the voltage regulator with a known working one. But that dosnt mean that is bad already.

Also the wiring diagram that Brian posted is different then the one Bolens printed in there manual. And my harness is the same as the Bolens manual.

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:40 AM

Another think you can do if you have an old headlight is, remove the fuse , attach one terminal of the headlight to the fuse side going to the solenoid and the other to the end going to the ignition switch , if I'm understanding you right with the switch off the headlight will be off , when you turn the switch to run the headlight should light because of the short, it won't hurt anything , so you can try wiggling wires , to see if the light changes brightness the light will be dim when you remove the short and just have normal current flowing to the switch, maybe disconnect the regulator , ect. Al

#19 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Im thinking this will just blow the light bulb.

#20 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Is it possible that your amp-meter is grounding out?

#21 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Alc spent a far amount of time with me this morning and we did get it to crank over after we jumped a few wires. Right now I think I have the wrong ignition switch, and after doing some research sounds like the proper ignition switch is hard to find and not cheap.

#22 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like you're narrowing down the problem. Hope you can find a switch at a fairly reasonable price.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Alc spent a far amount of time with me this morning and we did get it to crank over after we jumped a few wires. Right now I think I have the wrong ignition switch, and after doing some research sounds like the proper ignition switch is hard to find and not cheap.

Yeah, these switches are not cheap. Last time I had to buy one for the 1050 I spent $60. I kept getting the $6-10 ones from places napa but they didnt work.

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 02:45 PM

If you don't mind using a toggle sw to , you can make that ignition sw work, connect the black coil wire to the white ground ( disconnect both from the ignition sw ) thats what I would do but thats because I'm cheap

#25 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, these switches are not cheap. Last time I had to buy one for the 1050 I spent $60. I kept getting the $6-10 ones from places napa but they didnt work.

isnt the 1050 ign switch just a standard 3 prong switch. I have a 5 prong switch

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone have a pic of what it should be? or a part #? I have bought 2 switches for the Sears on EBAY & they work great.
May be a good idea to also see what poles you need & if the ign should short to gnd or kill power when in "Off"

#27 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:16 PM

May be a good idea to also see what poles you need & if the ign should short to gnd or kill power when in "Off"

From what was on the wiring diagram that bread32oi sent me it looks like in the run position it closes the white ground wire to the black wire going to the coil neg.
If you didn't want to spend $ to get the correct switch and didn't want to use my toggle sw idea , you could use a relay to sw the white wire to the black when the ignition sw is in the run position. It would be helpful to have a print of how the sw contacts in the different positions just to be sure.
DSC07696.jpg

#28 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 06:23 PM

From what was on the wiring diagram that bread32oi sent me it looks like in the run position it closes the white ground wire to the black wire going to the coil neg.
If you didn't want to spend $ to get the correct switch and didn't want to use my toggle sw idea , you could use a relay to sw the white wire to the black when the ignition sw is in the run position. It would be helpful to have a print of how the sw contacts in the different positions just to be sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11433[/ATTACH]

I have yet to find a diagram of the switch which tells me what the individual poles are.

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have yet to find a diagram of the switch which tells me what the individual poles are.

Adam, what does your wiring Diagram look like?
You said the one I posted dosent match yours...

#30 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Adam, what does your wiring Diagram look like?
You said the one I posted dosent match yours...

I have been using the manual thats on sonnys site. I also have a bolens manual for the tractor. Take a look at the wires at the switch