LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Now that the weather in northern Illinois has warmed up slightly, I have decided to start to refurbish the Bulldog trencher that has been sitting in the shed for at least a year. Then I will be able to put it on one of my Bolens HT23's.

The first hurdle is going to be the double sprocket that fits onto the tractor PTO output shaft. The PTO output shaft is 1-3/8" 6 spline. The double sprocket needs to be 14 teeth for No. 60-2 roller chain (double stranded #60). Any of you folks got some ideas about where I might find such a thing? I have done Internet searches for weldable hubs, but the ones I have found with the required 6 spline bore are all for single sprockets, which does not help.

• blackjackjakexxix, case442 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Try Surplus Center, Bailey Sales, and Wholesale Tool. They often have the weird stuff that I need. Good Luck, Rick

NAPA or TSC may help too.

Edited by boyscout862, March 08, 2015 - 07:07 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Surplus Center = No; TSC = No; Farm & Fleet = No. NAPA = No

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Might try Martin Sprocket,
martinsprocket.com
  • blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:18 PM

I take it your talking something like this.

51-V5MdKqAL._AA160_.jpg

Most industrial supply outlets can get you this. This photo happens to come from Amazon. We used to used double roller chain a lot on our processing equipment. With this and a PTO adapter you should be able to easily fabricate what you need. 

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Now that the weather in northern Illinois has warmed up slightly, I have decided to start to refurbish the Bulldog trencher that has been sitting in the shed for at least a year. Then I will be able to put it on one of my Bolens HT23's.

The first hurdle is going to be the double sprocket that fits onto the tractor PTO output shaft. The PTO output shaft is 1-3/8" 6 spline. The double sprocket needs to be 14 teeth for No. 60-2 roller chain (double stranded #60). Any of you folks got some ideas about where I might find such a thing? I have done Internet searches for weldable hubs, but the ones I have found with the required 6 spline bore are all for single sprockets, which does not help.

Any reason the hub could not be machined to accept 2 weldable sprockets, Doug?

TSC shows # 60 x 14 tooth sprocket for W-series hub.  (TSC # 117163499) (Weasler # 20006014)

TSC shows W-series hub with 1-3/8" - 6 spline.  (TSC # 117054999) (Weasler # 20022206)

The hub could be machined from opposite ends to achieve the correct sprocket spacing for the double-row chain.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#7 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Any reason the hub could not be machined to accept 2 weldable sprockets, Doug?

TSC shows # 60 x 14 tooth sprocket for W-series hub.  (TSC # 117163499) (Weasler # 20006014)

TSC shows W-series hub with 1-3/8" - 6 spline.  (TSC # 117054999) (Weasler # 20022206)

The hub could be machined from opposite ends to achieve the correct sprocket spacing for the double-row chain.

That is my fallback option, Bruce. I was hoping that someone had some information that would help me avoid that.

G&G makes a weldable hub for double sprockets that has the correct spacing for the sprockets needed for the double strand No. 60 roller chain. Then I would have to broach the spline reliefs. Or I could get the splined hub and mill it down to accept the two sprockets as you suggest. One concern about that approach would be the width of the Weasler hub. At first glance, I am not sure that there is enough width to weld on the second sprocket and still have the set screw that is required.

Edited by LPBolens, March 08, 2015 - 10:18 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#8 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi Doug,glad to see your getting a chance to work on it,hope you post some pics of it and the tractor when you get it done,something you just don't see everyday
  • LPBolens and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#9 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 08:52 PM

So today the teardown began. Some of you may have seen a previous post with some pics of the trencher, but I have included some here as well to show what I am starting with. Note that the PO painted it red after scraping off the decals, even though it is supposed to be orange.

The biggest issues are going to be the double sprocket for the tractor PTO output shaft, the main trencher chain drive sprocket, and the augur drive sprocket, which you can see in a couple of pics is badly worn. The main drive sprocket is even missing a few teeth, but more on that later when I get it apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trencher_107.jpg
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0018.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0019.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0022.JPG

Edited by LPBolens, March 09, 2015 - 08:53 PM.

• limebuzz, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#10 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I made some good progress over the last couple of days. I now have removed all of the parts that bolt on, leaving only the shell which I will sandblast, repair as needed and then repaint in the correct orange. I am thinking early Kubota orange might work, but I have not yet made a final decision on that.

The next steps will be breaking down the subassemblies so I can replace the trencher chain drive sprocket, and the sprocket that drives the augurs off the trencher chain. As you can see from a couple of the pics here, those two sprockets are toast.

(For those of you curious about the huge snowblower in the background of one of the pics, it is a 48" two-stage for a Bolens Grounds Keeper)

Attached Thumbnails

• Bulldog_Trencher_0023.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0024.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0025.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0027.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0028.JPG

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:40 AM

Martin Sprocket might be able to help you with the chain sprocket  too Looks to be welded to the shaft but that can be removed

http://www.martinsprocket.com/home

• LPBolens and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#12 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 01:16 PM

I started doing searches today to see if I could find readily available parts for this Bulldog Enterprises trencher. One of the contacts I made was with  a ccompany in Anoka, MN called Ballantine. They sell trencher parts and I thought that maybe they might be able to tell me what happened to Bulldog, and if Bulldog had been sold to another company that was still in business.

It turns out that years ago, Bulldog Enterprises was a division of Ballantine. The Bulldog group manufactured various pieces of equipment, including the trenchers for garden tractors. The Ballantine part sold parts for equipment made by other manufacturers.

Ballantine may not have the sprocket parts in stock, but they think that they might be able to help me out by building what I need.

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Ballantine may not have the sprocket parts in stock, but they think that they might be able to help me out by building what I need.

Boy that has to make you feel good. Congratulations on the find. 

• LPBolens and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:12 PM

............Looks to be welded to the shaft but that can be removed

At first glance I too thought that the sprocket might be welded to the shaft, but on closer examination it seems that Bulldog welded a sleeve onto the smaller diameter shaft to create a section in the middle of the shaft that has a larger , 1.75" diameter. The sprocket goes on that section and is keyed, with multiple setscrews. That was confirmed by the gentleman I talked to at Ballantine. He even told me he used to assemble these units, so I guess he would know.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#15 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Progress has been kind of slow, but I am making progress. I do not own anything more than a Mapp gas torch, and it does not put out enough heat to get some of the parts apart. So I have been at the mercy of a friend who has a welding and fabrication shop. That limited me to a couple of hours here and there on weekends when he was available.

As of today, there are no more subassemblies to dismantle. What an ordeal all of that has been. I even had to cut one of the chain sprockets with my cutoff wheel and pry it with a cold chisel before it finally gave up and came off the shaft.

Bolens 1000 found the four self-aligning insert bearings that I needed for the main headshaft that drives the trencher chain. I have the pillow blocks for the auger drive shaft, and Ballantine is making the two chain sprockets that I need. Once I get the double sprocket with the splined hub to fit the Bolens PTO unit, I think I will be done buying parts and can move on to cleaning, sandblasting, painting and reassembly.

The pics show the collection of parts that make up the subassemblies that were such a trial to get apart, all because I needed to replace the two bad chain sprockets in the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bulldog_Trencher_0030.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0031.JPG
  • Bulldog_Trencher_0032.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks