#46 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:50 PM

As I recall one of my questions when looking for my first speed helmet was " if the lens doesn't darken will my eyes be hurt?". The answer was NO. The lens will still block the rays. So I've been under the impression that with a lighter or darker setting your eyes are still protected. 

If anyone has different information I'd like to hear it. 

Edited by Cvans, March 12, 2015 - 03:03 PM.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#47 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yesterday I did some rearranging in the shop and I now have two halogen light on a stand that I can put on the work so we will see it that helps.  I also picked up a welding apron and some sleeves yesterday.  My welding table is a bit low so bending over my back gets to hurting so the last time I was welding I sat on one of those roll around stools.  As I was welding I felt my leg get a bit warm.  My jeans now have a nice quarter size hole in them. :oh_shucks:

• Cvans, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#48 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Quarter size hole is pretty good camp fire.  :mad2:

Being 6' 2" and a bad back all of my benches are higher than normal. Takes a lot of strain off of the back. Kind of tough on the shorter people but they can find something to stand on. Is it possible to add to the legs of your welding table? Might make for a good project. 

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#49 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:24 AM

The last time I caught my pants on fire, I ended up with a quarter sized blister on my knee from frayed fabric igniting off of a red hot dingleberry (thats gonna be the name of my next band)

I put 4' legs on my last welding table thinking that would help the bending over part. The problem with that is you cant get the right angle to look out the window of the welding hood

• HDWildBill said thank you

#50 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Me being 5'7" my welding table is 36" tall and seems the best height for my worn out back. Tater, I can't seem to grasp the right angle to look thru the hood. You can adjust the height the hood rests in relation to your eyes. That's the only adjustment I know of.
Mike

#51 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 10:48 AM

The problem I have is the hood limits neck movement and sometimes forces you to bend your upper back more to see what you are welding

#52 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 01:47 PM

As I recall one of my question when looking for my first speed helmet was " if the lens doesn't darken will my eyes be hurt?". The answer was NO. The lens will still block the rays. So I've been under the impression that with a lighter or darker setting your eyes are still protected. 

If anyone has different information I'd like to hear it. 

If the setting is too low you could get arc eye. painful but not permanent eye damage. Your settings should be what you find to be a comfortable level..  What I learned about the low cost auto helmets is that many are "qualified" to old standards. Sure they got the ANSI sticker which could be pre 2002  standards.  Like anything else you get what you pay for... If you need a replacement auto darkening lens for your HF helmet they are $10.00 on line direct from China. That should be a clue.  A very large reputable company I am familiar with supplies their employees with ARC ONE auto lens.  These are about $100.00.  Welding hoods are  definitely a buyer beware product IMO 

• Cvans, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#53 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Be careful about extended welding also.  My father undertook a major welding project where he sat down for comfort.  His pants legs rode up, and his sock rode down and he paid no attention to the exposed flesh of his legs, he wasn't getting weld spatter on them.  He go a terrible UV burn on the exposed flesh after he finished welding.

• Alc, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#54 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Be careful about extended welding also.  My father undertook a major welding project where he sat down for comfort.  His pants legs rode up, and his sock rode down and he paid no attention to the exposed flesh of his legs, he wasn't getting weld spatter on them.  He go a terrible UV burn on the exposed flesh after he finished welding.

I never thought about that, but it makes sense.

#55 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:28 AM

I used to weld in cut off tshirts. Flash burns in the armpit are the worst. Now most of my fire resistant long sleeve shirts have burn holes where the bbs land in the wrinkles. One of these days I need to invest in leather welding sleves

• MFDAC and HDWildBill have said thanks

#56 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:11 AM

One of these days I need to invest in leather welding sleves

Leather probably works the best but a hot lump of slag will still get plenty of attention. I think anyone who has welded much has gotten slag in their ear. That will make you forget what you were doing. :smilewink:  Seems like the place I used to get burned the worst was my neck when I forgot to button up the front of my shirt. 

Don't wear shoes with shoe laces when welding! Man that smarts  :mad2:

• Alc, MFDAC and HDWildBill have said thanks

#57 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Back in the 70's my first construction job was a welders assistant. He had to MIG weld aluminum up in a bucket truck and it was my job to move tarps into positions where the wind didn't blow the gas away. With the tight confines of the bucket I got welding "sunburn" on my face and in my eyes. Painful and felt like handfulls of sand in the eyes. Having your eyes shut doesn't stop it from happening. I finally told him I gotta have a helmet too after a couple days of it. The company policy was a helmet for the WELDER was all they supplied. Helpers had no need for one! The welder brought one of his personal ones from home for me after I complained.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 17, 2015 - 07:06 PM.

• Alc, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#58 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:30 AM

mfdac, I guess it never occurred to the weldor to tell you to turn your back to the arc. Sorry, I can't buy keeping your eyes shut doesn't help. I've done lots of tacking over the yrs w/o dropping the hood and just closing my eyes. Yeah, if I did it all day I'd get a red face along w/ red eyelids.
Mike

#59 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:35 PM

mfdac, I guess it never occurred to the weldor to tell you to turn your back to the arc. Sorry, I can't buy keeping your eyes shut doesn't help. I've done lots of tacking over the yrs w/o dropping the hood and just closing my eyes. Yeah, if I did it all day I'd get a red face along w/ red eyelids.
Mike

Mike, All I could do is turn my head as I had to hold the tarp up with my arms over him and each piece he welded and there were hundreds of them. My arms don't rotate 360 and my head don't turn backwards like in the excorcist. It was 10-12 hour days non stop except for lunch. Quite different than tacking. If you notice, when you strike an arc with your eyes shut, facing it or even close reflected light, there is still quite a flash right through the eyelids.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 18, 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#60 kenwestby OFFLINE  

kenwestby
  • Member No: 68512
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:59 PM

I've used the old standard #9 and #10 for 30 years.  Finally went to an auto darkening helmet.  There are differences you have to consider when using them.  If welding outside, I leave my auto helmet in the barn and reach for the old standby #10.  If I'm welding by the door, same thing but with a #9.  Why, the sun lite darkens the lens before you get an eye ball on what is you want to weld, thus going off track.  Maybe some of the high dollar helmets have an adjustment to eliminate this but my adjustment just doesn't do it.  I don't have a problem with bobbing my head if I have to when the situation requires it to drop the helmet.

If I'm indoors I use my auto helmet.  But I have changed the bulbs in the light fixtures in my shop so the auto feature doesn't go crazy on me like it does outside.

So in a nut shell, it's lighting.  Control the light around you and you will be able to track that weld perfectly. 

Hope I helped you and good luck.

Ken