IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 06:55 PM

If your mig welding try positioning yourself so that most of the arc is hid behind the nozzle when welding. I end up doing it that way so I can see where I'm going.

Come to think of it, I do the same.

I also do a trial fly by, before starting to arc, sometimes. Just to get the

feel of movement, before starting. Kind of like stepping up to the plate, and

swinging before the pitch.

Bill, I'm sure I've read here, that you have children, and possibly even grand children.

You see, there's things that you can do in the dark. :smilewink: This is no different. Just practise.

• hamman, HDWildBill, Cat385B and 3 others have said thanks

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:00 PM

13 is to dark Hamman, try 10 or 11. Noel. Just my opinion, I am not a certified welder , just my experience.
  • hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Come to think of it, I do the same.

Bill, I'm sure I've read here, that you have children, and possibly even grand children.

You see, there's things that you can do in the dark. :smilewink: This is no different. Just practise.

If it gets stuck to your belt buckle, you have obviously skipped a step or two.            :rolling:

• hamman and IamSherwood have said thanks

#19 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Multi tasking

• hamman said thank you

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Multi tasking

Is there something Bill can take before he starts, to increase concentration and eyesight? Vitamin D, maybe? Blue pill?

• hamman, IamSherwood and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:11 PM

There's lots of videos out there.

• hamman and Cat385B have said thanks

#22 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Ok I will chime in here a bit, I am a welder.  fist of why cant you see ? to dark or to light ?  that will make a big difference, I would rather use a lens that is to dark so I cant quite see so I save my eyesight for the long haul.  I want to be able to see when I am 60.  If it is to light then when you are done welding you will have a spot in your sight everywhere you look.  another thought is that if you are trying to teach yourself to weld skip the auto helmet, teach yourself the hard way then you can get the auto helmet and be really good at it.  I weld 10 hours daily and still don't use an auto helmet unless I use my vented setup at work.  kind of like teaching a kid to parallel park with one of those park assist cars, they don't learn that way and neither will you.

Welding is allot like riding a bike, you should be looking where you want to go rather than where you are.  look just ahead of the arc in the direction you are going, that way you will be in the correct place when the arc gets there.  even with a welding helmet you really should not look directly at the arc, look ahead or behind it.  Hope this helps.  A good choice for basic welding on a daily basis would be a 11 lens.  if you are hard of sight get a magnifier lens don't just go to a lighter lens, only do that as a last resort.  good luck

Pete

• Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 6 others have said thanks

#23 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Have you checked some of the old post? There is an old post with a PDF version of Welding for Dummies if it still works. 

#24 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Roger, no problem that is a good question.  Tater195 now that you mention it I do have that PDF, I forgot I DL it a while back. Thanks for the tip's.  I do need to practice more just finding the time.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Some things come natural to some people and are a real task to others.  I learned to weld over 50 years ago with an old stick welder in high school.  Have had different stick welders over the years and always go back to the good old Lincoln.  I have also tried different Mig and wire welders.  The only thing I ever accomplished with them is making a bunch of splatters and getting rid of a bunch of wire that had no other use.  I won't even look at a wire welder but keep your hands off my Lincoln.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks !

• massey driver, hamman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#26 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:41 PM

I've found when people are learning to weld they are mesmerized by the arc. This sounds hard to believe, but concentrate on the puddle and where you're going. It takes practice but it will eventually work for you. I've been teaching my 14 yr granddaughter to arc and torch weld and once I got this point across to her it made it easier for her. She picked up on the torch welding quicker than arc, both mig and stick.
Mike
  • Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#27 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:55 PM

I agree with Petrj6. You have to train your eyes to see. Going lighter with your lens is bad news. First it's damaging to your eyes and it can make the problem worse. Look beyond your weld and get somebody to teach you. Have them watch what you are doing. Are you pushing or pulling? Depending on if you are using flux core wire or not it makes a difference.

I've said this before on this forum. Take a class at the local community college. It's worth the time and money. It's too easy to have a pretty MIG bead that doesn't have proper base metal penetration.

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Just to dirty the waters a little more. I've been welding for over 50 years and here are some things I've learned the hard way. The type of lens in a helmet can make a huge difference. I take it your using Flux core wire with that welder.  One helmet I had worked great for stick welding but I absolutely could not see to weld flux core with it. Switched to a helmet with a different lens and presto I could see again. The color and glare of the arc from flux core was not compatible with the first helmet. So before you get too frustrated try a different helmet even if it's not an auto helmet. Keep your lenses clean.

As your just learning try spacing your practice pieces just a little farther apart  until it becomes natural to follow the seam. Try to concentrate on the leading edge of the puddle. Hold your gun so that neither the gun nor the wire blocks your view. It is much easier to move the gun before welding then your head after the arc has started. You will get to the point where your eyes won't be distracted by the starting arc and will automatically remain where they need to be. This is a trait that takes time to develop. 

Make sure that your metal is free of paint, oil, galvanizing, or other contaminants. These tend to change the appearance of the arc and can make it harder to see.  With your welder I would stick with 1/8 to 3/16 metals until you become more proficient. If I remember correctly an Amperage setting C with a wire speed in the 35 to 40 range should work with that welder running .030 flux core. If your running a gas shield the settings will be different. 

If your wearing bi-focal glasses I would invest in a cheap pair of glasses prescribed for the focal length that matches your normal welding distance. With bi-focals trying to get your head adjusted so you can see after the arc has been established can be a major distraction for someone just learning. If you can't see you can't weld. 

Good luck and let us know how your progressing.

Edited by Cvans, March 09, 2015 - 01:01 AM.

• hamman, HDWildBill, WHdbJD and 2 others have said thanks

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Now after reading all these tips I'm looking forward for my next welding job !   I too have a hard time , sometimes my best welds are 1/4" away from the joint :wallbanging:    One other thing , in the shop I was at before we had a marking pen , gotten from the welding supply store that would show up while welding . I couldn't find it doing a search , does anyone know if it's still made ?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#30 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 09:01 AM

http://www.markingpe...ingmarkers.aspx
  • Alc, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks