Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

K341 Piston Replacement, what else?

k341 broken piston rebuild acr automatic compression release kohler allis chamers 416

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 rjl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 12151
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 10:39 AM

The other day I measured what I could and everything seems to be in tolerances for standard size. The decision to not replace the connecting rod was based on some opinions, like from js5020 above, but mainly due to another project I started that is tapping it my toy funds. I did order some tools for lapping the valves and my piston did not arrive yet but I intend to put things back together next chance I get which will be another two weeks at least.

#17 js5020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 07:56 AM

The K series engine is a tough piece,, I have to admit one season I failed to check the oil level on the oil gulping K301 in the Gravely walker and the rod and crank journal decided to become one :booboo: .  Upon tear down and a little muratic acid I found the bore to be well worn, the crank pin was also on the small side,, in any case I put in a new rod, piston, rings, and gaskets and put it back to work,,,,,,, that was 5 yrs ago and its still running, with a bit of a knock due to the worn bore and crank pin, and a bit if smoke, but still starts easily and runs flawlessly.  All these engines need is a little compression, a good carb, and the points set right and they will start and run. 

• rjl said thank you

#18 rjl OFFLINE  

• 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Today I got a chance to work more on the K341. A friend let me use his tool for removing valves, it was a big device obviously made for a larger engine but worked great on its smallest setting. As I mentioned earlier I am new to all of this but never expected to find carbon build up under the intake valve. I cleaned that up, lapped the valve and seat but for the life of me I could not get the keepers to stay. This big tool was not allowing me to get my fingers in there. I used a magnetic screw driver to get it in place only to knock it off when trying to place the next one. I ended up putting greese on the keepers to stick them in place for me to release the spring. The exhaust valve also had some carbon buildup that I removed, lapped and put back in using the greese trick on the keepers. After that everything went together quickly, I had the service manual on hand which was a huge help. I lugged that heavy ass engine back into the allis and put everything back together. She turned over easier than before and fired right up. It smoked for a good 5 minutes but after that it was clear and sounded great. I only ran it for 15 minutes then parked it to wait for it to cool and retorqued the head. Now I want to rebuild another one, I may tear down my K321 in my cub. I would love to see if the Automatic Compression Release tab can be adjusted in that.
Also craigslist seems full of toys that the engine "ran when parked" a few years ago.
Thank you all for your help.
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Congratulations on your sucess. I usually run a new engine for 15 to 30 minutes and then do an oil change. It will flush out alot of small metal particals. How about some pics? Good Luck, Rick

#20 rjl OFFLINE  

• 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 06:18 PM

This is me trying to upload a picture of the Allis after I installed the engine. I still have some service work to do but everything seems to be running fine.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,667 Thanks
  • 39,051 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 06:46 PM

The Allis looks f=real good! Hope it runs as well!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k341, broken piston, rebuild, acr, automatic compression release, kohler, allis chamers 416