#1 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 02:45 AM

Well here it goes, American Machine & Foundry corp. started way back in 1900 by a man named Rufus L. Patterson. His claim to fame was his invention of the automated cigarette machine. In 1943 his son Morehead Patterson had taken control of the company, after WW two the company was in a do or die position. He perfected a automated bowling pin setter in the early 50's and sold stock to buy numerous companys. AMF had their hands in just about everything, bicycles, bowling, golf, Harley, food equipment, motorhomes, boxing, snowmobiles, boats, planes, outboards, monorails,the silos for ICBM's, a lot of Govt. contracts, chemicals, the list went on and on and......... you get the point. AMF got in to outdoor power equipt. the late 60's . In the 70's the history is kinda sketchey. The AMF Western Tool Div. Des Moine, Iowa50302 produced models 1010 which is a MF-10 and the model 1014 which is a MF-14. I do not no when Snapper took over but I think later 70's. I guess what im saying is that the AMF trac 10 is a Massey 10. I never found a AMF trac 12, I do not believe they ever marketed one. AMF trac 1014 is a Massey 14. AMF trac 1414 is not Massey. I believe that Badger Northland had a finger in on this mess to. Olcowhand may have some of their equip. :sleep::sleep: AMF made Dynamark and others. Nite all

Edited by tractorgarden, March 12, 2011 - 01:18 PM.

• mikebramel, broken2, mjodrey and 10 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:40 AM

Interesting history lesson, but very confusing at almost 4 am lol. Mabey there is others with more information to add to this to make more sense of all the models and who made what.

#3 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Allways up for another History Lesson, Thanks ... Allways wondered who made those old Dynamark Lawn Tractors ...
I have an Old 1960's 5 HP AMF Snowblower that I removed the bad auger from and converted / fabricated it into a Power Winch..Works great...
That Thing is Built like a tank.

Attached Thumbnails

• POWER WINCH 4.jpg

• KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Thats a great idea, Dano . I did that once on accident, It was not pretty, ask my goat. NO FARM ANIMALS WERE INJURED IN THIS POST.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#5 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Believe it or not, It actually Works quite well...the Rim off an old GT fit Perfectly over the old Auger Shaft, got 100 ft. of HD cable on it. I wheel it out into the woods, then anchor / Strap it to a tree with a chain and use it to pull other trees / logs I have fallen to that spot, just move it around as needed. Simple mobile Gas Powered Winch.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Great idea DanO

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 02:58 PM

:anyone: I also have two AMF model 1414 garden tractors, They do not resemble any common other GT's that I am aware of. The only thing that I have found common is the 42" alum. mower deck is the same casting as ones found on the Ford, Jake,MM GT's of the 60's. Yes I personally have compaired them with my ford and moline which was built by Jacobsen. The 1414 is powered by a K-321 14 hp Kohler electronic ignition factory spec. engine. They are inline tractors. The drive shaft connects on the flywheel side. The electric PTO is off the front(PTO side of engine). The deck does not have the side mount mule drive because of this. It does have the casting on the deck to support the mule drive though. We had some heated posts on Y H groups a few years ago over this. Yes they are factory decks not adapted from a donor tractor, as they have AMF serial tags and stickers. It could be that AMF took notes from AMC and bought parts from other manufactures. The tractors are foot controlled hydro's, single speed finals. I do not remember for sure , but think they have Eaton pumps on them. I am no expert, but I would like to know more.:anyone:

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 11:58 PM

I also have two AMF model 1414 garden tractors:

I'd love to see some pics of you 1414's, also your 1010.:camera:

#9 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Believe it or not, It actually Works quite well...the Rim off an old GT fit Perfectly over the old Auger Shaft, got 100 ft. of HD cable on it. I wheel it out into the woods, then anchor / Strap it to a tree with a chain and use it to pull other trees / logs I have fallen to that spot, just move it around as needed. Simple mobile Gas Powered Winch.

Genius!

#10 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• Member No: 3163
  • 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 05:52 PM

AMF also made Dewalt radial arm saws in the 50s. They were built like a tank out of cast iron and still highly desired by woodworkers in the know.
  • tractorgarden and JDBrian have said thanks

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Genius!

:ditto:

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:29 PM

I would love to see some more detailed pics of the AMF garden tractors. Any or all :D

#13 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 08:04 AM

:camera:Im working on it buddy!

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 08:44 AM

I would love to see some more detailed pics of the AMF garden tractors. Any or all :D

Ditto.

#15 steve johnson OFFLINE  

steve johnson

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1719
  • 29 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:55 PM

A friend of mine just got this AMF at a auction for me. I have never seen any thing like it before. It looks a lot like a Amigo. Can any one shed any light on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• AMF 04.jpg
  • AMF 02.jpg
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg

• tractorgarden said thank you