8 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 11 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone,

Wanted to do my first post by saying I am picking up my first Bolens tractor as soon as all this snow melts, it runs and it was free! It is supposed to be a model 1456 H14 I am trying to find attachments that will fit, like a tiller, mower deck, and snow blower. I picked up a mower deck from a man yesterday that he had on Craigs list he said it came off his H16. I think it is the 18423 42" but the tag is missing, it is in a little rough shape the gear case is frozen up and there is rust pitted metal under the belt cover which is missing, the idler pulleys are rusted out, and the spindle bearings turn but they are dry. I hope I didn't buy a boat anchor.   

I am sending two pics of the mower deck maybe you could ID it.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1895.JPG
  • DSCN1896.JPG

• LPBolens, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Your H14 is part of the Tubeframe series , the good thing about that series is many attachments are interchangeable from year to year.

As long as you have all mounting brackets that deck will bolt up no problem. It does appear this is the 18423 series deck, someone must have lopped off the little deflector tin on the chute.

What shape is the tractor in? If you got it for free then maybe it wouldn't be so bad bringing this deck back to life. You will most likely need bearings,idlers,belt and a seal or two but you can certainly refurbish the deck to operating shape for around $200 I would say.

Hope you stick around, lots of knowledgeable folks here, also :wewantpics: of the tractor when you get a chance

• 29 Chev said thank you

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Welcome aboard,nice to see a new face

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 06:37 PM

By the way,where are you located at

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is a great GT. I have one too. It is about 40 years old and will probably need a thorough going through. You should download some of the manuals from the Manuals Section(3 for free per day). Good Luck, Rick

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 07:57 PM

:welcometogttalk:  and when you get your GT, remember :wewantpics:

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 08:02 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#8 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 01:17 PM

I have a h14 and have been using it a lot this year. You will be happy with the way it performs. You've come to the right place. These guys around here can help with just about anything.

#9 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 11 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 03:30 PM

I am in the State of Massauchusetts,

From what the owner told me the H14 runs good, when they got the tractor it had no attachments they used it to haul fire wood in a trailer and give the kids  rides around the yard and up and down the road.

It will need a through mechanical check, cleaning, and fluid change with a paint restoration with new decals, I didn't know anything about the Bolens tractors and when I began to do the research on them, then I realized what great tractors they are. I got excited and that's when I decided I would restore the tractor. I love old equipment and the process of bringing it back to life, people get a warm and good feeling when they see something old that looks like new. Right now the H14 is covered with a tarp and buried in a snow bank, I will send pics when I dig it out in the Spring.

Right now I am on the hunt for what I need outfit the H14. I think the Bolens bug has biten me!!

Stephen

• Bolens 1000 and Sawdust have said thanks