#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Was out looking at my "new" 1622's today in sunshine. Still very cold, but very sunny!  The Briggs numbers show them to be 1980 year. One is Jan 4, 80 and other is March 6, 80.  I found serial on one tractor on frame sides. Seems way long. First four numbers are model, rest I have no idea.

I've looked at my Speedex saved sites and can't find the info on how to read these numbers. Anyone have a link for that? 

Other tractor does not seem to have the stampings. Have it cleaned all the way down to the bare metal and still Nothing.

Tried charging and cranking with battery in it, but is no go. Won't get more than 80% on my guage and even just a little cranking drops way down. I did put on new ground cable, they had a little bitty one on it and when messing with it, it broke at connector.  Was going to get a big car battery, yet don't have room for one and someone made nice mount for GT style in it.  Does have bigger 340 crank amp and will try one of those again. There is no selinoid in this and power goes right from Batt into switch and out for the starter. I don't like that, switches go bad easy on those. I might put in a selinoid later to take off the strain from cables and switch.

Edited by glgrumpy, March 07, 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 09:26 PM

New battery and one cable bought tonight. Try it out tomorrow.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 01:50 AM

A fellow called Strongland has been emailing me with info, guess he's seeing my posts here? He has listed the meaning of the serial on tractor.

16= HP

22= Model

12002= Eaton drive 12000 series

12= Day

79= Year

01= Month

There is still a 1 not given a credit and the engines have 80 dates on them, so kind of confusing. I suppose the tractors could have been built first and had engines installed at later date?  Speedex= confusion!

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Been out some and battery worked great, cranks like crazy! I pulled plug and used oil in cylinder and cranked. Gas is getting up there for sure, dripping out carb too, it 's a Briggs after-all!  I just turned off the gas valve for now. No spark!  Pulled points cover and they were WAY wide open. Think someone changed those. The other tractor I got with has those taken off and gas tank missing. Now, I find these unadjusted and loose gas tank, so guess may have been from it. 2nd tractor has engine all loose and ready to come out. Looks like quite a deal to remove if I have to take this other one out and remove shroud to get to the magneto coil and other items. Not seeing mouse nest yet, but they like big space under Briggs covers it seems, and wires chewed off then. I ran battery down now and re-charging at moment. Tried diff plugs, pulled points all the way off and cleaned-up and the mounts. Adjusted points. Nothing yet. Was hoping it would be easy and go......guess not!  I had to remove the muffler just to see and get in to the points cover. Much better that way. I'm gonna pull that second engine and get points in it and see if it will run or spark soon. I bought a starter for it, was missing.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Today, near 50 and SUNNY!  Pulled stuff from garage and re-arranged to be able to walk and work some. Ever try to put 10 lbs of Crap in a 5 lb. bag?  No matter how you stuff it, it is not going to go!  Does look like 8 lbs of stuff in there now, but still over-full. Took blade off my old MM and that give me more walk room for sure. Shuffled all the tractors around, and crammed and jammed and is better work area now for the Speedex I'm messing with. Today I pulled the engine out of better one that I've been trying to start. No mouse nest. Did find a loose wire off the coil going to points connection. Yay! I thought that was it. held connection on and moved flywheel and NO go, pooh! connected then with wire leads direct to points and STILL No spark.  Was tired, is late so came in for night. Will try more later, maybe up on a bench would be nice. Think I need to clean the thing off better with hose before messing with any more. One thing I wish to note on the engine mounting by Speedex??   Block has holes for 3/8" bolts. The Engineer at Speedex, think name was Idio Ott, used 5/16" bolts AND were slotted flat-head bolts that were sunk into the platform underneath on frame.  There's tapers and everything there for them. What's up with that? I think I'm going to use 3/8" Hex Head bolts when I put back in, unless someone can tell me why the others were important.