• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:12 PM

FedEx delivered the Harbor Freight blast cabinet today.

I inspected the package and the contents and there was no visable damage.

I read the instructions (I normally don't do this step) and proceded.

I started to asemble the unit and the top (roof as it is called) can't be for this model!!

The viewing hole is about 1/2 the size of the actual glass & frame, and there are only 2 holes on each side for bolting, but the sides, front & back panels all have 5 or more holes for bolts!

Must have been boxed in China on a Monday!

Called and they are open 7-4 M-F, so I emailed photos and my complaint!

I expect this to be taken care of in a few days.......fingers crossed!

• hamman, Lauber1, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:26 PM

so does this mean your not goingto have a tractor done this weekend, lol

• hamman, tinbender7 and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Typical mass production items I guess. I once ordered a metal utility cart with three shelves from Northe_rn T_ol. The corners were bent on two shelves. The two replacements they sent had no holes at all. It took a whole week to get them replaced so I just drilled them out myself. They did send me a 25% coupon off my next order for my inconvenience which I thought was good. Looking forward to your newly assembled cabinet. I have their bench top version I got off CL. I like it pretty good after I tweaked a few things. 

• Alc, hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:45 PM

I have the 40 LB floor model Harbor Freight (Central Pneumatic) blast cabinet.  I picked mine up at the local store and everything was with it that needed to be.  Only problem was that my glass was broken for the viewing window.  That was no fault of manufacturing though and I could have just as easily done it when I unloaded it.  I have a local glass shop and it was cheaper for me to just buy a piece of glass than to drive the 45 miles back to the store to get it replaced.  So far it has done well for me.  I have 3 complaints about it.  The legs are too short for me.  I am just going to add about a foot of angle to the legs to solve this.  It HAS to be hooked up to something to keep the dust down in the cabinet so you can see.  I put an elbow on the side port and hooked a shop vac up to it but I had to drill multiple holes in the elbow to keep the cabinet from becoming a vacuum itself and sucking out all the cleaning media.  The third is the light that is provided with it absolutely stinks!  I put two reular lights inside the cabinet and that improved it considerably.  With the light and dust issues settled it is a decent cabinet for cleaning and would get another again for the price I paid compared to a professional machine.

• hamman, HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Bought mine at show, was new in old box. Light is junk, put in two floods. Instructions were vague. It came with some Tape like gummy stuff and no mention of it in instructions. NOW, that I have had it together and find it leaks EVERYWHERE, think it might have been for seams where it was bolted up? Seemed kinda thick to put in there. Tons of bolts, all metric and SMALL. Need right tools. My glass was broken also, but got new local. Need a vacumm for sure. Hoses a little short, will change those later. I have mine raised up on a platform and has wheels to move around when wanting to push out of way. That is the way to do it.

• hamman and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 04:42 PM

I purchased the 40 # floor model.

I read hours and hours of information and reviews on this thing, and everyone said they upgraded the light, used lots of silicone, and use a dust collection system.

I plan on doing all these things....I just didn't plan on missing parts!!

Not really missing, just wrong part. Here is a couple of photos of the side, front and top. You can see there aren't enough holes for the all the bolts! My guess is this lid (roof as they call it) is for the table top model...Just guessing.

20150307_122157_zpsamjermg1.jpg

20150307_122130_zpswdhrhx1k.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS, March 07, 2015 - 04:45 PM.

• chris m and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 06:51 PM

I think you are right. Good luck and I hope they resolve the issue soon!

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Make sure the "gummy" tape is installed at all the seams.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Um, just to make sure that isn't the Bottom shelf that the tapered parts fit thru and hold them up?? The Top is different?? That part goes between all the legs about halfway up and sides go into it? See what I mean?  Give us a shot of what you have done now. I have instructions around somewhere and could maybe scan to show what I mean.

Sometimes you HAVE TO read instructions, even tho you are the MAN!  Best look again.

gonna try to load a picture, wish me luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• Blast cabinet.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, March 08, 2015 - 01:33 AM.

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:34 AM

glgrumpy is correct...I just didn't have all the parts accounted for at 1st.

I DO have the correct pieces.

My wife was :bigrofl: as I read glgrumpy's PM, jumped up and looked at all the pieces again, and said, "I do have all the parts"

I should have let her have it her way.....she always grabs the instructions and wont' let me start assebmly until SHE is ready!!

I told her this is why I spend so much time on the  forums...to get the critical information needed to keep our hobby going!

• KennyP, TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:50 AM

We all know you get what you pay for. The cabinet is a decent deal IMO even if some tweaking is required. Building one for le$$ would  be a challenge. I think I got about $30. to build mine because I had to buy the gloves and couple other things. My friend bought the HF garden trailer. 600lb capacity for $107 with his coupon.  He hauls it behind his golf cart at camp. I would buy one!

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 10:23 AM

Make sure the "gummy" tape is installed at all the seams.

Also tape under the black plastic of the glass holder, mine leaked bad until I took the glass back out and resealed it. I took the glass out to install some LED flood lights. The additional lights make a big difference. Best tool to have putting it together is a cordless drill with a #2 Phillips bit, if not for it I would not have been able to put it together by myself.

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Worst part on window is it is hard to apply the film inside from that side door. Mine also had nuts on all those screws around the window frame, so not easy to just take it off. On my bigger cabinet, I made the window be on a hinge so I could open it and apply the plastics and then re-close. Can even put a big part in if needed that way. That window is 1ft x 3ft, so is plenty big. I would like to do something similar to the HF one, but haven't looked at it yet. Thinking maybe just some hold-down bolts or studs in case, then wing nuts on outside that could come off fast. You need to change that film often, and easier the better.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 09:59 AM

I have been using HF equipment for several years now.  Like some of you I have gotten things that didn't work or parts missing.  If you go through the store or customer service they want you to return the whole item.  I have learned if you contact technical support and talk to them, give them the part number you will get the piece(s) you need if a few days. 

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have that same blast cabinet.  I just quit using the film....too hard to deal with.  The glass lasts a long time without it.  One of these days I need to get a new piece of glass cut though.  I'd say without the gummy tape there would be heck to pay!