Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Ride-A-Matic Kohler carb problems.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 05:56 PM

I am hoping I will have it fixed after I put this new float in I ordered. I wanted to post about it though. We had the Kohler running really good but it would leak around the bowl gasket. Sometimes it would also flood the carb and start dumping gas out of the intake side of the carb.

I cleaned the float needle and seat a couple of times and ordered a new gasket kit with bowl gasket and new needle and seat. Got it all replaced this past weekend and thinking we got it fixed, turned the gas on and no leaks. Thought great, and tried starting it. It wouldn't fire and then here comes the gas out of the intake again. So I ordered a new float for it as I don't know what else it could be. I am going to possibly work on it tonight but it might not be until Sunday.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:07 PM

Keep us updated George.
Did you adjust the new needle valve after you put it back on?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I eyeballed it, didn't take an accurate measurement. It did it before the new needle and seat and is still doing it so I am tempted to believe the float has a pinhole or something in it. It is the original brass float, the replacement I got is an OEM brass float.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 08:37 PM

You might want to check the old float height before you remove it for replacement. Just in case that was the problem.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 08:50 PM

You might want to check the old float height before you remove it for replacement. Just in case that was the problem.

:ditto:

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:26 AM

We pulled the carb back off the Kohler K161 yesterday and I checked the float height and it was pretty close. It was just a hair higher then 11/64" that the specs call for. So I figured I better put the new float on it just to be safe. While trying to put the new float on there was no way it was going to even get close to 11/64" so I pulled it back apart and checked the new needle which was already in it from previous tear down and compared it with the old needle. The old needle was shorter then the new one. I don't know why they would have been different as it was labeled for a K161.

I put the old needle back in as it was in good shape and sure enough the float height was perfect with a little tweaking of the tab. Put it all back together and turned the gas on and no leak. It fired off on one pull and still no leak. I think we are in business now. That K161 idles so nice. It does have a little white smoke to it when you rev it but for a 50+ year old engine I can live with that.

#7 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:39 AM

Glad you got it figured out. Adjusting the float height is crutial to getting the engine running right. I have a few carbs here that leak, so im planning on doing this myself.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Glad to hear it is Fixed :dancingbanana:

#9 Raspy OFFLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 113
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:58 PM

With occasional flooding and sometimes not, it sounds like debris in the needle valve. Do you have a good filter right before the carb?
Also, the needle can be off, side to side, and hanging up on something in the float bowl. Make sure it swings freely in the bowl.