12 replies to this topic

#1 4500GUY OFFLINE  

4500GUY
  • Member No: 67687
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hi Guys,

I need a new battery for the 1050 and was wondering what brand / product # you are using.

Thanks!!

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:02 AM

The ONLY brand of battery I have used for many years is INTERSTATE.  They are very good batteries, have dealers everywhere, a good warranty program and you don't need any paperwork to get warranty adjustment.  Stay clear away from Wal-Mart.  Their batteries suck.  Period.  Just my opinion.

• superaben said thank you

#3 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:05 AM

:thumbs:   :iagree:   :ditto:

#4 4500GUY OFFLINE  

4500GUY
  • Member No: 67687
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:09 AM

The ONLY brand of battery I have used for many years is INTERSTATE.  They are very good batteries, have dealers everywhere, a good warranty program and you don't need any paperwork to get warranty adjustment.  Stay clear away from Wal-Mart.  Their batteries suck.  Period.  Just my opinion.

Thanks chieffan,

You wouldn't happen to know the Interstate model # of the battery in your 1053 would you?  Trying to find the right size for the battery box.

Thank you!!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 03:58 PM

I have tried about all brands over the years and have found the Diehard and interstate line to be the best.

I'm probably going to jinx myself but the diehard in my 1050 is going on 12 years old!

These tractors ran a larger battery compared to most other manufactures at the time which were using the standard lawn tractor batteries. Generally put as big a battery as you can get in these machines.

• superaben, Bolens800uk, AA Hayes and 1 other said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Auto zone's brand is pretty good.  Dura-last think it is. I've had them live thru winte w/out charging as they should be.  Most little GT batteries with any  cranking power are getting as expensive as the big ones now.  Walmart GT battery's don't have much cranking power, have to look harder to get over 300 now days and pay more.  My new Speedex are supposed to have car size, and glad they have the room to put those in. Someone now has GT battery in it, but it's shot. 

• 4500GUY said thank you

#7 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 06:26 PM

The ONLY brand of battery I have used for many years is INTERSTATE. They are very good batteries, have dealers everywhere, a good warranty program and you don't need any paperwork to get warranty adjustment. Stay clear away from Wal-Mart. Their batteries suck. Period. Just my opinion.

We should all avoid wal mart and like minded stores period! They kill locale economy, and are the reason for companies like Bolens no longer existing. We do no go into store with China made good period.

I use interstate in everything I own, boat, truck, tractors, ect. Great batteries.
When I comes to sizing a battery I like to use something with a bit higher cca than what is called for if it is used in the winter as some morning my tractors are starting up at a cold 30 below Celsius.

Edited by AA Hayes, March 06, 2015 - 06:50 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and 4500GUY have said thanks

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:33 PM

I bought my last two from Tractor Supply because they are close to me and I didnt want to spend an hour and nearly $4 a gallon on gas going to the parts house. They've done well but it's only been a season. The worse thing for a battery is lack of activity. It kills them.
  • 4500GUY said thank you

#9 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 11:20 PM

There are actually very few battery manufacturers. The great variety of brand names on batteries is the result of "private labeling", that is the few manufacturers put different labels on the same battery to satisfy their own customers.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and superaben have said thanks

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 11:26 PM

The difference is the number of plates in the cells. More plates equals a better battery.
  • LPBolens said thank you

#11 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 09:09 AM

As an example of "private labeling", Interstate batteries are actually manufactured by Johnson Controls under contract for Interstate. Johnson Controls makes batteries for a lot of other folks too.

#12 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 06:53 PM

The difference is the number of plates in the cells. More plates equals a better battery.

While the number of plates gives you higher cranking amps it doesn't necessarily make it a better battery as the more plates per cell means there is less room for the acid and as a result usually gives the battery less reserve capacity - more initial starting power but for a shorter period of time.  Also as the manufacturer puts more plates per cell in the same size battery the spacing between the plates decreases which can result in the plates shorting if they distort from heat - battery manufacturers use different plate construction and materials inside depending on who they are producing it for and where it is designed to fall in the pricing market.

I believe the original battery that was in these was a group 22NF which may still be available from some suppliers

• HJR said thank you

#13 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • Member No: 67709
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 10:46 PM

I guess I've been lucky.  In the few smaller machines I have that take batteries, I have bought Duracell lawn/garden batteries from the Batteries Plus store around the corner.  They have performed well.  In my cars, I have Optima batteries.