6 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 11:19 PM

I have a project 316onan that I am converting to diesel. Will post with pictures as it comes along..

BUT, as to this post.....

The 316 onan has only one hydraulic circuit. I want to add a second circuit. I was looking at the controller (spool valve) in my tractor. It LOOKS like a 2 circuit valve where one circuit is not hooked up. There are screw in plugs in the housing where a second set of hydraulic lines would screw in. There is a second plunger sticking out of the end (where the control handle attaches to) JUST LIKE the one hooked up to the working circuit on the 316 - just not hooked up to anything. It also looks like there is a plug for power beyond in the housing.

I would think that a single circuit valve would not have these extra parts visible. Can someone look at their 316 onan and see if their spool valve looks like what I described.

If this is what it is supposed to look like, is the spool valve functional if hooked up? If I add a control lever and fittings/lines would it work as-is? Or do they use the double circuit housing but the second circuit "guts" are not installed? Could they be?

This tractor came in a box, so I am not 100% sure this is the original valve. But the second circuit was not hooked up - why go to the trouble of installing it if you were not going to use it??????

I already have a replacement 2 circuit spool valve, second handle, lines and fittings to upgrade, so this is more a question of curious than necessity..... 

I am converting the tractor to power steering, so removing the manual steering gearbox will give me more room for all the plumbing. 

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 11:39 PM

Well,,,, might have answered my own question. I went to JDparts and looked up the diagram for the 316 onan spool valve. Sure enough - it shows a SINGLE circuit with just one set of ports - what I have looks like the one in the 317 or 318 - complete with 2 plungers and sets of ports!

Was this somehow an option on the 316, or were they installed as surplus or something? Hmmmm.....

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Yes the second spool will be functional if you add a control lever and run hydraulic line from the A & B ports of the second valve.  A lot of manufacturers would use a standard 2 spool valve and use only what they needed for the options on the tractor

I have seen this on other brands.

Massey Ferguson 55 series had a 2 spool valve as standard and only had 1 handle on the first spool if it did not have a 3 point hitch.  With a 3 PT they added a second handle to use the second spool to control the 3PT.

On MF the first spool was UP/DOWN/FLOAT which was for the mower deck and the second spool was only UP/DOWN

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 12:03 AM

Was this somehow an option on the 316, or were they installed as surplus or something? Hmmmm.....

You have it right the manufacturer would have a 2 spool valve even if they only needed 1 spool.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Ducky!

So I guess on the day my tractor was built, they were running short on 1 circuit valves so installed 2 circuit ones instead? I know some of the smaller manufactures would do that type of thing, but never heard of such from Deere - at least not after their very early days....Anybody else have similar stories about "wrong series parts" in their machines from the factory?

JD parts shows a single circuit controller for the 316 - no mention of a 2 port model being used ever. They do show two versions (based on serial number iir), but both look the same in the diagram. Much smaller than the 2 circuit valve. Strange!

I recall hearing somewhere that putting the 318 style spool valve (2 circuit) in the 316 was a custom fit - because of the 316's manual steering and the 318's larger valve housing you have to use different mounting points than the 316 valve. And, the plumbing is VERY tight. But, never having seen one before, I don't know if that is true...

May be more likely that a PO had started the conversion and run out of gas..... I bought it engine-less as a (barely) rolling chassis - complete with boxes of parts... I had a v twin waiting for it so was ok with buying it that way, and the price was right.....

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 11:27 AM

They may have installed that valve to make it easier to add in the 3-point at a later time.

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Second front line maybe Kenny - like for a blade, but adding it for the 3 point?????

The open frames (my 316 onan) use the existing lift cylinder to control the 3 point via the rockshaft. Are you thinking of the closed frames like the 300 or old 316 (kohler single)? You would need a rear hydraulic line to add 3 point on one of those....

Actually, I DO want a rear hydraulic line on this to be able to feed a hydraulic dump trailer I am thinking about building. Most folk want the second hydraulic up front to feed a 4 way blade, but we don't get enough snow to warrant that. I had a snow blower sitting in my garage for a few years then finally sold it because I could never use it. Finally kicked it one to many times and it had to go...

Anyway, Ill see what its like to add the second line set to this controller. This is my diesel conversion project. Finally got the motor, drivetrain and radiator placed and working my way back into the pedestal. I've been taking pictures, so when I get a little further, will post it in the diesel conversion section...
  • KennyP said thank you