21 replies to this topic

#1 bolens4life OFFLINE  

bolens4life
  • Member No: 67375
  • 73 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Please someone set my mind at ease...

So was out blowing snow for my neighbor who's away on vacation (ok not the point).  He has a fairly steep driveway and about 1/2 way down i got stuck.  spinning wheels, etc.  Got off the machine (my HT23) and was laying on the reverse pretty hard trying to guide it back up the driveway.  It took about 5 minutes but i made it back up....now at what cost...

The engine started to sputter like it was running out of gas.  All the way back to my house, it would intermittent sputter and lose power then be fine, then again....

When i made it back to my house and lowered the throttle it was racing and then dying....never stalled.....parked it and shut it down...

Any thoughts on what I might have done?  Could I have really damaged a cylinder, piston, etc....

Im super pissed at myself for doing what I did.  As always I turned to you guys.  Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

A Moron.

• blackjackjakexxix, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Could be as simple as dirt in the carb.....but hard to say without actually being there

• rustyoldjunk and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:19 PM

i don't think you did any real damage, all that revving on a downward angle probably loosened some crud in your carb and your starving for gas, pull the carb and clean her out,  plus check for water in your gas too , being on an angle it might have got some sucked up into the carb bowl, good luck john

• blackjackjakexxix and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 bolens4life OFFLINE  

bolens4life
  • 73 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys, sounds like the carb is where I'll start. I really appreciate the time you took to respond.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:40 PM

:iagree:

• blackjackjakexxix and bolens4life have said thanks

#6 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:59 PM

governer and carb frosted up?

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Keep us posted I'm sure it is minor. 

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and U118224 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:02 PM

It probably is water or ice in the fuel system but check that all carb and manifold bolts are tight too. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:06 PM

I agree with what the other have said.  Probably snow sucked in through the air cleaner in into the barb.  Water don't burn real good and causes a starving reaction.  Get thew moisture out of the fuel system and you will probably be A-OK.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:24 PM

Sure does sound like dry gas and a carb cleaning is in order.
Might check condenser too, but start with the carb.

#11 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:15 PM

The engine started to sputter like it was running out of gas.  All the way back to my house, it would intermittent sputter and lose power then be fine, then again....

When i made it back to my house and lowered the throttle it was racing and then dying....never stalled.....parked it and shut it down...

If you have the throttle revved to the max, you might have broke some carbon loose in the heads. Have you ever pulled them to clean the valves etc? If not, it's an easy task. I also agree with the fuel/carb idea. I would pull the carb and clean it, check points gap, plugs, and after it's running well, maybe poor a little seafoam through the intake while it's running. It'll puff the white smoke, but should help clear out any carbon that may be sticking the valves. 

Good luck! 

• MH81 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 12:11 AM

My thinking as well, crud in the fuel got loosened up.

• blackjackjakexxix and tractorgarden have said thanks

#13 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hello, your 23 is a very nice looking unit, what's the history of it? Do you know what maintenance has been done ? Pull the carb , little bit off a PITA , but I have found best bet is to at minimal,spray clean it (carb/choke cleaner) and put a kit in it. Simple kit with gaskets and primary fuel needle inlet and seat (Kohler kit is # 25 757 02S). I find it easier to pull the intake manifold with carb attached first then remove the carb from the manifold you'll need two new intake manifold gaskets (Kohler # 48 052 02-S) and the carb to intake gasket ( Kohler # 271030-S). If the heads haven't been pulled and cleaned, it should be done (Kohler recommends every 500 hours), your tractor should have an hour gauge , it can be your guide. IMO if it's close pull them and de-carbon as aforementioned, relatively simple procedure done with engine in tractor, however the left side ( furthest back of the two piston jugs) the heat shield (firewall) will interfere with head bolt removal, I use a set of hand sheet metal brakes to bend it out of the way then back into position when process is completed (Kohler head gasket # 48 041 13-S) Also IMO to properly clean carbon deposits you should pull the valves,which means a valve spring compression tool and I'm old school so 'if a valve comes out it should be lapped on reassembly'. There are very good, well made (USA) tools for this procedure. Check out e-z bore motorsports on ebay (for starters) they have the compressor ( I use the Zim #70-174) and the lapping tool ( I use the Zim #301 reciprocating hand grinder). Actually the C- clamp style compressor works better on horizontal valves, but I think this one is more universal and will work fine for you, just a little T&E till you get onto using it, e-zbore also sells grinding compounds in various grits and in smaller amount containers. Remember the heads and piston are aluminum when cleaning only use a softer style wire brush ( hand, in drill or die grinder) stubborn carbon just means more elbow grease.I also recommend obtaining the "Kohler two cylinder service manual" covering the K-482, 532, 582, and 662 engines I believe it is publication # ENS-607 it will cover all aspects of maintenance + reconditioning of engine.The valve cover gaskets are Kohler 270034 and the valve adjustments are: intake (cold clearance) .008-.010) and exhaust (cold clearance).017-.020 Also head bolt torque down is 35 ft lbs and a recommended tightening sequence, again if you don't already have the service manual I recommend it, these tractors are contagious ( I see you recently added an 1886) so I believe a little bit of investment in what I've mentioned will pay for itself long term! Good luck on your trouble shooting , if I've stated an amount of information all ready known to you.. amends. Regards. Kevin

Couple items to note: do the valves one at a time then reassemble before you pull the next one , then continue with same procedure.

Carb w/mechanical fuel pump , ( on these Kohler twins) are notorious for the main fuel valve sticking in the seat holding the float in position allowing a syphon to be drawn thru the fuel pump and filling the crankcase with gas. A simple inline shut off like the Stens #20-5841 out where it's easy to get to ( and see) will alleviate the problem when you shut it down

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, March 06, 2015 - 01:43 PM.

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#14 bolens4life OFFLINE  

bolens4life
  • 73 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Wow. That is a lot of great information. I really appreciate the advice. I am going to take a look on Sunday and will report any findings.

As for the history of the machine, I bought it about 8 years ago. It was completely redone at the time I bought it. I absolutely love it. It never fails me, starts right up. No complaints from me.

My dad turned me on to these. I grew up with his 1250 and I've just always been impressed with them. My dream attachment is a bolt on loader. I'm not a fabricator so I envy the talented guys on here that can get other loaders to fit on machines that they were not intended for.

Anyway, I will continue to pray that it's a simple carb issue with my 23 and that it will continue to provide me with many years of reliability.

More to come...
  • MH81 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#15 bolens4life OFFLINE  

bolens4life
  • 73 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 10:43 AM

Can anyone tell me the bare minimum I need to remove to get the carb out? I've already removed the air filter assembly and the shield. Do I need to remove the air intake?

Started it this morning it ran perfect for about 3 minutes and then started to stall. Got back to idle, ran about 15 more seconds then stalled out.

I guess I'm going to start with the carb bowl and go from there.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ht23, kohler