7 replies to this topic

#1 WillW OFFLINE  

WillW
  • Member No: 68147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

I've got a question about the fuel and impulse hose routing on my GT 18.  The tractor runs OK but takes awhile to get it started.  Under the hood I can see a fuel pump mounted of the firewall but the previous owned has all the connections going nowhere. The fuel tank is routed through the in-line filter directly to the carb.  You can see pump outlet hose just hanging near the spark plug in the picture, and the impulse line, (I think) is near the battery.

I've looked in the manual and I can't see any diagram or reference to the fuel pump. 

Manual : 917-255910

SSN     : 1588S14942

My tractor is actualy a 917-255914 but the 10 manual is the only one I can find.

Can anyone help me out in where to rout the impulse line?

Thanks

Will W

Attached Thumbnails

• 0302150932.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 05:27 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I have a GT18, but the impulse pump is different from what I see here. One big challenge with these is they get bad and suck the fuel straight into the crankcase. It's hard to tell from your pic what is what with it. It should have three lines. One to the crankcase, one to carb, & one from tank. Someone with more knowledge of these pumps will have to decipher yours.

• Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:45 PM

It sounds like the PO did what I did. Installed a carb with the pump attached to the carb. These seem more common on these engines and make no difference in operation. Pull your air filter and see if the carb looks like this... If so, on the fuel pump, the side is the fuel line inlet, the bottom connection goes to a breather port on the crankcase, that provides the pulse to work the pump.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120183.JPG
  • P1120184.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:51 PM

The impulse line connects to a port on the block. Mine is caped with a silver plug (engine is in storage) but this shows the location.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120185.JPG
  • P1120186.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#5 WillW OFFLINE  

WillW
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the information!

I hadn't considered that the PO may have swapped the carb.

I'll pull the air filter and see if the carb has been replaced with the built in pump.  That would make sense since the engine runs fine.  My biggest worry was that the PO might not have plugged up the crankcase port.  But if he replaced the carb then the port should be fine.

I see on page 15 of the engine manual where the ports on the carb are located but I still can't make out where if goes to the crankcase.  I guess all will be clear when I pull the air cleaner.

Will W

• larrybl said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Post a picture after you remove the air cleaner housing. Carefull with the two mounting screws, I make sure the choke butterfly is closed to prevent accidental dropage of the screws into the carb. If the fuel pump is on the carb, then the pulse line should be attached to a breather port on the block. It is just a small screw in nipple.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 WillW OFFLINE  

WillW
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Larrybl,

You were absolutely correct!

The PO put a new carb on the tractor and routed all the hoses correctly.  Why he didn't go ahead and clean up the mess of the old fuel pump is a mystery.

So this weekend is maintence weekend on my "Little Burro".  The engine needs a good wash down to blow the cobwebs out, the right rear tire has had a slow leak that's going to get some Slime, and my, new to me, Agri-fab spreader will get some TLC.  The PO put a ball hitch on the rear of the tractor that has resisted pipe wrenches with cheaters, liquid wrench, and a blow torch.  So I'm going with a grinder and a cut-off wheel to attack the nut. 

Someday I'll find someone on Craigslist that has a 3pt hitch for cheap and start adding attachments for that.  :smilewink:

Thanks again for all your help!

WillW

• larrybl and KennyP have said thanks

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Glad I could help, reason I thought of that is I had done the same thing to Hulk II, but I did remove the fire wall mounted pump. :wave:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120193.JPG
  • P1120194.JPG
  • P1120195.JPG

• KennyP said thank you