• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 624 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Well here's the story. In January I went in for my annual physical. It was one of those that get kind of personal for us fella's moving into our advanced years. You know a prostate exam. I had my labs done e few days before so they where ready and waiting. Although the digital exam has OK. My PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) was elevated. It had gone up 0.74 since last year. Off to the urologist I go and she schedules a biopsy. Definitely not the most pleasant thing in the world but I lived. Yesterday I went to the urologist and of the 12 samples she took 3 came back positive for Cancer. The up side of all of this is that due to the prodding of my wife I had regular exams and this has all been caught very early. The lesson for all of us is that without those exams I would be walking around right now thinking everything is fine and have cancer.

My advice to everyone is although nobody enjoys these visits to our Dr.. We even poke fun with each other about the Dr. keeping only one hand on your shoulder and calling you in the morning. This is very important and we all should be doing due diligence with this, Swallow your pride and go have that special moment with the physician of your choosing.

For me, I'm having my prostate removed on April 9th and after appropriate recovery from the procedure there is no reason to believe that I won't be back to my old self.

• olcowhand, massey driver, rustyoldjunk and 18 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I agree and glad you found this early. Prostate cancer has one of the higher curable rate if found early enough.

I have been have a full physical about every two years for the last 5 or 6. With the history of diabetes and heart disease, want to keep a check on things. I ask every time about the prostate and colonoscopy and he tells me just the blood test for prostrate for now :thumbs:  and and nothing until I'm 50 for colon. Then he says nowadays, unless you are having issues, insurance doesn't want to pay for the colonoscopy even at 50

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,182 Thanks
  • 2,780 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for letting us in on a very important and private mater Nxt2doc. I will say this that I was diagnosed three days before Christmas in 2009 with prostate cancer. I know where you are coming from and have had the same feelings and thoughts. If you should need to talk feel free. I was about in the same boat as you except the digital exam is where they found it. The PSA was a little elevated and I had no symptoms whatever. Without my Dr. ( a female family doc by the way) doing here annual physical exam I would not of known. I opted for the seed implants and radiation for treatment. So far I am cancer free. I hope that you get the same results from your procedure. Regular , under the hood inspections, as I call them are necessary for us that are of advanced age. We will be saying prayers for you as you go through this and our hopes for a full and speedy recovery. Your family is a big one, it expands outside you homes walls.  Good luck.

Roger.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,457 Thanks
  • 30,593 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:31 PM

SO glad they found your cancer early.  My Dad had prostate cancer as well, and cured it by "freezing" his prostate.  When he had bladder cancer a bit over a year ago, they went ahead & removed the dead prostate while they were in there.  My PSA is checked regularly, and I've had the old "butt scope" done, but needs done again in a couple years or so.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and Cvans have said thanks

#5 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 805 Thanks
  • 461 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Guys this is no Laughing matter .... .... we are all getting  old  from 35 to 65 .... This is no joke !!!!!     We need to go to the doc and have THE EXAM  it will only help us and our love ones . I don't know about you ........... but i went to die on my terms......... Not some doctors.

Patrick.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and Cvans have said thanks

#6 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 752 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Here's the scoop on prostate troubles. If you're a man and live long enough, you will either die from or with prostate troubles. I have friends in their late 70s and early 80s, that elected not to do anything because it was slow moving. The key is early detection. It's very treatable and can be done with minimal side effects.

Best wishes to you.
  • hamman and IamSherwood have said thanks

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,954 Thanks
  • 2,572 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:57 PM

Good call on the tests!

I had mine removed (cancer) 12 years ago at 52!  Family history of diabetes, so I've had annual checkups for years.  My Dr at the time was the same age as me & suggested PSA, he had to tell me what it was!  PSA was "a little high. so lets check again in 6 months".  6 months later, it was quite a bit higher, biopsy, then surgery & hormone treatment (do your research if that's recommended, I found out a year later I didn't need it)!  That was 12 years ago, other than fatigue & some other side effects, I'm doing well!

As for the "If you're a man and live long enough, you will either die from or with prostate troubles", that isn't necessarily cancer! 

• hamman and Cvans have said thanks

#8 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 758 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Well here's the story. In January I went in for my annual physical. It was one of those that get kind of personal for us fella's moving into our advanced years. You know a prostate exam. I had my labs done e few days before so they where ready and waiting. Although the digital exam has OK. My PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) was elevated. It had gone up 0.74 since last year. Off to the urologist I go and she schedules a biopsy. Definitely not the most pleasant thing in the world but I lived. Yesterday I went to the urologist and of the 12 samples she took 3 came back positive for Cancer. The up side of all of this is that due to the prodding of my wife I had regular exams and this has all been caught very early. The lesson for all of us is that without those exams I would be walking around right now thinking everything is fine and have cancer.

My advice to everyone is although nobody enjoys these visits to our Dr.. We even poke fun with each other about the Dr. keeping only one hand on your shoulder and calling you in the morning. This is very important and we all should be doing due diligence with this, Swallow your pride and go have that special moment with the physician of your choosing.

For me, I'm having my prostate removed on April 9th and after appropriate recovery from the procedure there is no reason to believe that I won't be back to my old SELF.

Been there done that. That click before the sample taken is a alarming sound and mine was done with no pain killers. The worst is the first month then on to recovery. Any questions feel free to ask. My was done an on July 6th it will be 3 years.

Edited by cootertom, March 05, 2015 - 08:50 PM.

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#9 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 752 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Good call on the tests!

I had mine removed (cancer) 12 years ago at 52!  Family history of diabetes, so I've had annual checkups for years.  My Dr at the time was the same age as me & suggested PSA, he had to tell me what it was!  PSA was "a little high. so lets check again in 6 months".  6 months later, it was quite a bit higher, biopsy, then surgery & hormone treatment (do your research if that's recommended, I found out a year later I didn't need it)!  That was 12 years ago, other than fatigue & some other side effects, I'm doing well!

As for the "If you're a man and live long enough, you will either die from or with prostate troubles", that isn't necessarily cancer!

Grnspot is correct. I didn't mean to imply it was always cancer. I was trying to stress the importance of regular exams. All of us will more than likely have something at some time so get checked, get checked and get checked. It's close to home for me because my Granddaddy had it and it spread. That was also 1969. Long before the advances and knowledge of today. My Daddy and all of his brothers have had some sort of issue. They are 78 and up now. So I know my day is coming.

A few minutes of unpleasantness is a small price to pay for peace of mind for you and your family. Unfortunately unpleasantries are part of life. It can't all be restorations and plow days!! But we can do what we can to extend them. I'll stop preaching now.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 5,797 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 11:04 PM

My father chose radiation treatments and as far as I know he is cancer free. Because of this my prostate gets checked every year. I always have the feeling that one of these times I'm going to get the bad news but catching it sooner is better than latter. 

Thanks for the reminder and I hope all goes well for you.

• grnspot110 and hamman have said thanks

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,644 Thanks
  • 15,444 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 12:24 AM

For me, I'm having my prostate removed on April 9th and after appropriate recovery from the procedure there is no reason to believe that I won't be back to my old self.

My Family and I will be PRAYING for you to be completely healed and that your Surgery will good with complete success. I am having my Colon tumor removed on the 17th of March and I am one of those people that needed your waring 2 or 3 years ago, maybe my Cancer would nave been stage 1 instead of stage 3..

• hamman said thank you

#12 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Prayers for you a complete recovery. Thank you for sharing this sensitive part of life with us. The warning will be heeded.

Geno

• hamman said thank you

#13 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 758 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Also I was in the hospital over night, there they gave me pain killers and sent me home the next morning with a lot of them. I took one that Saturday night but not because I was hurting but I was afraid I would start hurting. That was the last one I took and we ended up flushing the rest. So I guess I'm saying mine didn't hurt at all after the Friday when the surgery was done.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#14 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,086 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Glad everything went well for you. Thanks for giving everyone a reminder.

Northern Tom