• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Well I finally got to use my GT 19 to plow some snow last weekend. No smoke but the breather did fill the air filter from the inside pretty quick... (valve breather dumps into the air filter base plate within the filter area)  the KT 19 is tired for sure.  I'd like to find a Magnum as it is an opposed twin like the KT.... but failing that, would a V twin (like a Command) fit the confines without many mods to the machine itself?   Would not mind rebuilding the KT, as it is a Series II and add the Magnum oil filter base while I was at it//  but if I can find parts for it, I got a feeling it will be costly....

I don't care how cheap it may possibly come... NO HF engines and NO Honda's.... Not the least bit interested. I do not have to be in a hurry to either overhaul or to find something to replace it...

crank is 1-1/4 diam.

Edited by dodge trucker, March 04, 2015 - 08:44 PM.

• ace69xxx2000 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Don't condemn the KT-19 so fast . If its the same as the KT-17's then there's a good chance the oil breather came with a rubber umbrella type reed valve . They age and break off and allow oil to be sucked into the air breather . The rubber gets brittle and I've seen a few bad ones in tractors I've purchased  .

The replacement reed valves are better and made of thin spring type steel . I'd pull the oil breather and check that valve before condemning the engine .

Its part #24 in the parts diagram below . Clicking on the diagram makes it larger .

I know the early KT-17 series II didn't have provisions for a oil filter , They did have the pressurized system but no  machining to add a filter ,  I don't know about the early KT19's .

A magnum is almost identical to the KT's but would require some minor wiring changes as it is magneto ignition .

I've made the change from a KT to a magnum and its easy but basically requires the addition of a small ignition relay .

Attached Thumbnails

• air breather.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, March 04, 2015 - 10:44 PM.

• MH81 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:19 AM

I also have a GT 19-there's quite a bit of room under the hood, though the high sides to the frame rails can be a bit of a problem.  I just got a Honda GX610 18 hp for mine--it has a smaller footprint than the Kohler or Briggs flat twins.  I don't think there'd be any  problem putting a Briggs Vanguard or Kohler command in it size wize... just need to find a couple from the fan end of the flywheel to the drive line, etc.

One thing I did find on mine is that the front to rear distance on the mounting bolts is different on the Kohler engines compared to the Briggs--the Briggs is about 1" shorter IIRC, so you'd have to drill new mounting holes.

FWIW,

Smitty

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 10:00 AM

I know Jim's Repair/Jim's Tractors sells a repower kit for the Ariens GT with the opposed twin.  It only fits the GTs with the opposed twin with the cut-outs in the frame for the engine.  It won't fit the narrow frame ones with the K-series single.  He uses the Briggs Vanguard.  It comes with a 3 year warranty also.  It doesn't sound like a bad deal if you want to buy a new engine.  The kit comes with the adapters for the driveshaft so it would eliminate the driveshaft issues.

http://www.jimsrepai...com/Engines.htm

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Not condemning the KT, not at all.... It doesnt knock, so at the moment anyway, I'm thinking I can rebuild it; would not know just how rebuildable it might be until I get it pulled and spread apart on the bench;  I do not plan on getting rid of it.

Not sure if I'd be looking for a "permanent" replacement, like Utah Smitty was gonna do with that Briggs from the Snapper... but it would depend on what motor I found/ condition and price,  and what I found once I could split the KT apart...

I seen a 20HP Command on CL yesterday, today there is a 24HP Onan listed. 

Unless I could get lucky at an auction or something I am not looking to put a brand new engine onto this rig.

The Vanguard is a V twin. right? (referencing the post to Jim's small engines above)  I would not have thought I'd have had enough room for a V that was why I was trying to stay with an opposed.

I missed out on a pair of Magnum M20's on CL a couple weeks ago before I knew this engine was a mosquito fogger.

It isnt like I have umpteen acres here to mow, I didn't get this machine for its mowing capabilities. I got it for the snow blade, and the capability of a snow blower and a tiller via  its 3 point.... Not looking for the "cheapest" option as much as I go for "bang for the buck"

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 12:05 PM

The KT engines are probably wider than the V-twin engines since both have two cylinders, but the V configuration makes it narrower, and generally not higher, due to the flat aircleaner being between cylinder banks.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 06, 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking that the V twin would be taller. I do not want to have to cut my hood to fit something else in there.

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 02:39 AM

Here's some drawings with dimensions of popular engines--if the dimensions are metric, just divide by 25.4 to convert to inches:

Honda GX610/GX620:

Honda Engine.JPG Honda GX610_620 Line Dwg LH.JPG Honda GX610_620 Line Dwg Base.JPG

KOHLER COMMAND:

KOHLER COMMAND DIMENSIONS.jpg

KOHLER MAGNUM TWINS:

The Kohler Magnums will have the same basic dimensions as your KT19 (M20) and KT17 (M18).

The drawing is fuzzy, but I figured the Height, Length to end of Crank, Length to Back of Housing, and Width.  I've inserted the figures and put a red box around them.

KOHLER M18 & M20 DIMENSIONS ENHANCED.png

BRIGGS & STRATTON I/C FLAT TWINS (13, 16, 18 HP):

B&S 422400 18 hp Flat Twin Dim.jpg

B&S VANGUARD 16 HP:

B&S VANGUARD 16 HP DIMENSIONS.jpg

B&S VANGUARD 18HP (may be same dimensions):

B&S VANGUARD 18 HP DIMENSIONS.jpg

Onan P220 (B43 & B48 Similar):

Onan P200 Series Frt.JPG Onan P200 Series RH.JPG Onan P200 Series Top.JPG

It looks like the V-twins aren't any taller than the flat twins in most cases.

I hope this is useful...

Regards,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 07, 2015 - 02:40 AM.

• KennyP, shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:10 AM

Here's another site with a lot of engine dimensions. Has most all small engines listed, horizontal & vertical!

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Especially since I got this tractor "not really expecting to get another tractor" at the time, (thought "someday" would be further down the road) and only having use for it occasionally right now, I'm gonna check into that breather issue mentioned above (and hope that "that's it") --if it is, I'll pop the heads off and decarbon them as I have recently bought head gaskets for it just to have, and I did also "just" replace the fuel pump, points, condenser and plugs within the last 2 hours of run time.... I don't want that stuff to "go to waste", figured I'd find something that I could transfer at least that fuel pump to... otherwise if I get something different, that new/used fuel pump will just sit unused.  I have not yet tried a compression test on it even. With 1763 hours showing I would not not be surprised that the current motor is "tired"

In the meantime show/swap season is just starting, and with CL being what it is, I'll keep watch for something that is hopefully better... ideally I'd like to find me a 20HP Magnum.

Edited by dodge trucker, March 15, 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:12 PM

nevermind for now

Edited by dodge trucker, April 12, 2015 - 07:58 AM.