Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Montgomery Ward hydrostatic 14 Gilson model GIL33048c need help please

gilson montgomery ward hydrostatic pto wiring diagram schematic start switch safety

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 09, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I don't have mine apart right now.  Basically, the wires going to the springs just need to be grounded to the frame.  That is what the springs and pins on the PTO and brake shaft were intended to do.

• Cvans, Pdp2589 and WilfredCot have said thanks

#17 Pdp2589 OFFLINE  

Pdp2589
  • Member No: 68078
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:39 AM

So i re wired everything and made sure the spring safety switchs were clean, the key switch still will not work. It will turn off the tractor but no noise or anything trying to turn it on. ???

#18 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:50 AM

You need to make sure the small wire on the small post of the solenoid has 12V on it with the key turned to start.  If it does not, the switch or wiring is bad.  If it does have 12V, try grounding the solenoid body.  If that does not work, the solenoid is bad.  Side note, you have checked the fuse and cleaned the fuse contacts, correct?

• Pdp2589 said thank you

#19 Pdp2589 OFFLINE  

Pdp2589
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 12:52 AM

Fuse is good, solinoid was replaced, wiring was replaced. I knew it was the key switch from the get go and now im learning it is. But its so hard to find!! Every key switch now adays has a 5 pin backing with a magneto pin. Finding a 4 pin without magneto is impossible. Especially stock. Any references? And thank you so much for working this out with me. I wish i had a brand new tractor to examin.

#20 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:15 AM

Take the switch out and take it to a Napa.  They can cross it by style.  Your tractor needs a magneto ground pin because these tractors have magneto ignition, they do not have battery ignition stock.  Some get switched due to coil failure and the coil is hard to get to.  I will try to get a flashlight and see if I can see my switch without taking the tank out.

• Pdp2589 said thank you

#21 Pdp2589 OFFLINE  

Pdp2589
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 12, 2015 - 01:27 PM

I have a diagram that shows a four pin switch for my tractor. Same four pin that is in there now. The diagram also shows the battery, battery tie down, ect. Napa keeps trying to give me a five pin with magneto pin and ground pin, do i just use a wire from ground pin to chassy and a wire from magneto pin to the magneto on engine?

#22 Pdp2589 OFFLINE  

Pdp2589
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 12:50 AM

So heres what i did. I replaced all wiring on tractor, replaced starter solenoid, replaced ignition switch, replaced fuse and fuse holder, replaced the spring that touches the PTO lever, replaced the spring that touches the brake pedal rod, replaced the battery, and replaced the battery cables. Starts up and purrs like a kitten! Thank you all for helping me get this beast set straight :)
I think the main issue was the ignition switch and bad wiring. Cheers
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#23 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Glad you got it starting!  Have fun!

#24 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:49 PM

I know this is an old thread, but we just got a GILSON S-14 H.

I had it running without the battery a few days ago and it would not shut off because there was no way to ground the system without a battery.

My solenoid is insulated from the frame and all wiring is clean & neat....I just needed to clean & adjust point to get it to start/run.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilson, montgomery ward, hydrostatic, pto, wiring, diagram, schematic, start, switch, safety