#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 10:50 PM

I'm running out of ideas on my '93 B2600i.
It completely quit and I gave up on it for a few months. I'm now needing a vehicle (besides my '81 chevy 1 ton) so I've drug the old mazda back out. I just had the computer rebuilt, which fixed a lot of my problems, I also replaced the PCV valve/vent and grommet since the old one was falling apart. The distributor was also replaced due to broken off screws in it, also replaced coil, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and the previous owner replaced the injectors. The pickup has great fuel pressure and spark. It is also perfectly in time.  The pickup fires right up with no hesitation (even when it's cold out) and it runs for 5 to 10 minutes with out missing a beat!. As soon as the thermostat opens and the top radiator hose starts getting warm the pickup misses out a couple of times and then quits. There is no smoke or anything out of the ordinary. When I try to restart the pickup it fires and tries to start but it "can't keep up". When I let off of the key and try again it then doesn't even fire???. When the pickup sits and is completely cold, it does the whole thing all over again.

I'm thinking it might be the Coolant Temperature Sensor, I watched a youtube video on how to check them with a volt meter, so I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to test it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

I have a couple friends that are good mechanics and they don't know what it could be?.
Thanks for any info

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:14 PM

When it quits are you checking to see if it still has spark and is getting fuel. I assume it's fuel infected.
Mike
  • tinbender7 and BTS have said thanks

#3 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:17 PM

When it quits are you checking to see if it still has spark and is getting fuel. I assume it's fuel infected.
Mike

The fuel is NOT infected :mad2:  :bigrofl: (sorry I couldn't help it :rolling: )

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yes it is getting fuel and spark. I don't know why it's not running. I'm thinking if it's the Coolant Temperature Sensor then it is thinking it is over heating and shutting down???

• tinbender7 said thank you

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:26 PM

Sorry for the typo!! Maybe try disconnecting the sensor when it's cold? Never heard of a temp sensor shutting it down for overheat. Maybe if all the aluminum head engines in the world had that feature there wouldn't be so many cracked heads and blown head gaskets.
Mike

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 12:24 AM

Hmmm. I am wondering if you have a main vacuum line off or a component with vacuum going to it is defective? Some engines have those vacuum ports that are like coolant sensors and they open at a certain temp. You might have a line off on one of those and when it opens you get the vacuum leak.

I am trying to think back... does this have an  EGR valve? and if so have you tested it? They like to act up as the engine gets warm also, and can cause all kinds of headaches.

One thing you can do is hook up a vacuum gage and watch it as it is running, then wait ofr the engine to act up and see if there is a major change in vacuum. 

Trust me i know how aggravating these problems can be! I had one truck with similar symptoms, and after checking everything I decided to check the fuel line from engine to gas tank. When I pulled the line from the tank I saw something inside the fitting. It was a moth Cocoon

blocking the fuel port! When I bought the truck it had no gas cap, so.... I guess a moth flew in and made a home :wallbanging:  LOL that was one of the best ones :D 

Good luck and I hope you find the issue soon!

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 12:33 AM

When I started reading this I thought to myself that it's going to die and sure enough. My Son-inlaw has one of those and I think his was doing something similar. The last I heard he did get it to run some what better but never completely right. I will have to follow along and see what you come up with. You've received some good advice so far and I hope your able to find the problem.

#8 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 01:50 AM

The distributor has a sensor in it that can go bad and cause problems when the engine heats up. From what I've read, replacing the distributor has cured the stalling problem for others, and it's something you should look into.
  • tinbender7, Cvans, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:08 AM

Any OBD1 codes?

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:43 AM

You might be on to something with the sender , it sure is tough , Like what critters1 ,  do you have any access to scan tools to code reader ?

• tinbender7, chris m and BTS have said thanks

#11 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Have you tried running it without the thermostat ?

#12 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:36 AM

The distributor has a sensor in it that can go bad and cause problems when the engine heats up. From what I've read, replacing the distributor has cured the stalling problem for others, and it's something you should look into.

Yeah, What he said^   I had an old Porsche that did exactly the same thing.  It was the pick up in the distributor.  Good luck

Jack..

• BTS said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,594 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:54 AM

The distributor you replaced, was it a new or used unit?
  • Cvans, chris m and BTS have said thanks

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for eveyone's info.

The distributor is new, this seems to be a fuel issue not a spark issue. I unhooked the sensor and it still messed up like it always does.

I did hook the ohm meter up to the Coolant Temp Sensor and I believe it is bad. I watched a YOUTUBE video on it (got to love youtube) and they said it should show 2 ohms and as it warms up it should slowly lower. Well, this one shows less then 1 ohm cold and when the engine is warm it doesn't show anything???.

I'm going to order one (only $30) and stick it in and see what happens.

Thanks again for the info, I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. :wave:

• MH81, Alc, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted March 05, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.  :thumbs:

• BTS said thank you